PDA

View Full Version : New F-16 model for IAF

SASless
14th Dec 2005, 14:12
Friend sent an interesting article on the new F-16L for the IAF.

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/aircraft/f-16i/F-16I.html

Rakshasa
14th Dec 2005, 14:19
The newest varient might've improved it but it sure looks uglier.

Edited to satisfy Ewan's pedantic streak. :rolleyes:

Ian Corrigible
14th Dec 2005, 15:35
Nice site. The CFTs are just LockMart's version of the FAST packs produced by MacDac for the F-15 20+ years ago. Isn’t something similar being considered for the Eurofighter ? (Bet it's still not enough to get from Ascension to the Falklands... :E )

I/C

Regie Mental
14th Dec 2005, 16:24
BAe are indeed looking at fitting conformal tanks on Typhoon.

BEagle
14th Dec 2005, 16:51
But will the TypHoon ever be able to refuel quicker than it burns fuel - especially with conformal tanks?

Or will 't Bungling Baron also fit some better plumbing?

Ewan Whosearmy
15th Dec 2005, 12:32
With the I-model having been in service for 2-years already, it's hardly 'new'.

I/C

The only meaningful similarity with the I-model's CFTs and McAir's FAST packs is that they are conformal. FAST packs were designed to meet a variety of mission-specific needs (Wild Weasel, EW etc.) and were not exclusively designed to carry fuel, but to aslo carry sensors. The Eagle/Strike Eagle's Type III/IV & V CFTs that were born from the FAST pack concept would be a better comparison.

Beagle

I wouldn't imagine that fuel transfer/burn rate would be a factor for the Eurofighter. Unless they come up with some means to dump fuel from the CFTs, then (for CG reasons) the burn schedule will probably use fuel from these before any internal fuel is burned (at least that's how it works with the F-15E and CFT-equipped F-16s). So, the likelyhood is that by the time the jet is on station and ready to fight, the CFTs will already be empty. Just hypothesising.

sprucemoose
15th Dec 2005, 13:46
Just to stress, the Israeli model (they'll be getting 102 of them) is the F-16I.

Believe the F-16L is the secret variant for Libya...