PDA

View Full Version : PTSD....MOD doing a better job these days?

SASless
13th Dec 2005, 19:35
Has the MOD learned from previous wars....and installed modern preventive measures to guard against PTSD in combat troops?

Falklands War Veterans afflictions
The British Ministry of Defence was accused several times of a systematic failure to prepare service personnel for the horrors of war and provide adequate care for them afterwards.

There are strong allegations that the Ministry of Defence has tried to ignore the issue of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), which left many sufferers emotionally scarred and unable to work, inmersed in social dislocation, alcoholism, and depression. Most veterans have suffered prolonged personality disorders, flashbacks and anxiety levels sometimes reaching pathological levels.

It was revealed that more veterans have committed suicide since the Falklands conflict ended than the number of servicemen killed in action.

SAMA - the South Atlantic Medal Association, which represents and helps Falklands veterans - believe some 264 veterans have now taken their own lives, a number that contrasts with the 255 who died on active service.

SRENNAPS
17th Dec 2005, 20:50
SASless, I don’t post here often despite being a member for of prune for 6 years, but I do believe you deserve a reply to this post, even if it might be a bit controversial.

The MOD, for years gone by, has continually played down the role of the serviceman in a war. They have never accepted responsibility when things go wrong and always make sure they are in the spotlight when our servicemen have a great success. Recent media stories over the last few years have proved this.

They (The MOD) refuse to listen to our cries of despair when we have not got the kit to do our job but react so quickly to sort it out when the story hits the “Sun” newspaper.

They deny problems until it is too late and then “overcorrect” to resolve the issue. The British public do not see this, but it certainly undermines our belief in them.

In my opinion they totally overreact to “Politically Correct Issues” without any thought for the average Serviceman whatever colour, sex, size, colour of hair, etc. When they are put under pressure they buckle, twist and turn to provide the correct answer; despite the consequences.

Whatever makes you think that they will acknowledge the problems that our Falklands’ vets went through? They never done it for the Middle East in the fifties and sixties, Korea, Malaya and a whole pile of campaigns that the British Public are not even aware of since WW1 & 2. They did not accept it after GW1 and I am pretty certain they won’t accept any long term responsibility after GW2 and the subsequent years we spend fighting against global terrorism.

After a mere 28 years service and as a son of somebody who spent time in various "BAD" locations around the world, since I was born, I do feel I have the right to say this.

When I use the term Serviceman, I also mean Servicewomen who have also done a fantastic job over the years. My appologies.

Stan Bydike
18th Dec 2005, 06:06
SASLESS,

Sorry, but I don't see anything in your original post to suggest that the MOD has learnt anything!!

Exactly the same problem is occuring with GW1 and is well documented elsewhere.

The MOD will always sing from its own hymnsheet.

SASless
18th Dec 2005, 12:27
The American military seems to be doing a better job today than it did during my time in the mob. At least they acknowledge combat generates extreme stress which can cause problems afterwards and have undertaken some proactive measures designed to lessen that effect.

The Veteran's Adminstration has programs as well that assist the Veteran after his time on active service.

It was not always that way....and it took a lot of very hard work by Veteran's groups to convince the DOD and VA of the need for these programs.

Look back to the Agent Orange and Gulf War Syndrome issues as well for how our government treats Veterans. Ultimately, after a lot of pressure, they have altered their stance for the positive.

timex
18th Dec 2005, 13:28
Look back to the Agent Orange and Gulf War Syndrome issues as well for how our government treats Veterans. Ultimately, after a lot of pressure, they have altered their stance for the positive.

Sadly Sasless the British Govt. doesn't give a monkeys once you walk out the door, all you have to do is look at the way your Ex servicemen are treated by the General Public and your lifetime access to your bases facilities.

SASless
18th Dec 2005, 14:45
Lifetime access to facilities for "Retired" service members. The old promise of medical for life got changed around to insurance known as Tricare, still a good deal but not quite the promise.

It does sound like we take care of our Veteran's much better than the UK does.