PDA

View Full Version : GFX Card Update

c-bert
13th Dec 2005, 12:50
I currently have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and am considering upgrading it. Unfortunately I'm a little out of touch these days and I'm note sure what I should upgrade to or even if I really need to upgrade.

Any thoughts?

BTW, the PC is used mainly for playing fairly demanding games and is an Athlon XP 3000

Fire 'n' Forget
13th Dec 2005, 17:54
I wouldnt upgrade just yet, with an Athlon 3000 and that Gfx card ALL games will be playable at the moment and in the near future.

That is an AGP card and as such is virtually at the top of the pile, the 6800GT is probably the best of the last(affordable) AGP series of cards.

All of the GFX card companies now produce there cards in the PCI-E format, so unless you have an PCI-E capable MB what you have got is still very capable.

Fat Dog
14th Dec 2005, 10:30
I'm not sure I agree with fire 'n' forget on his/her point about being able to play all the latest games on that rig. Try playing FEAR or COD2 at decent res and it'll crawl to a halt.

What games do you play c-bert?

c-bert
14th Dec 2005, 13:33
At the moment Civ4, probably CoD 2 in the near future, Pacific Fighters etc.

I've spotted an X850 XT PE (AGP) for £250 which looks like a good buy (my mobo is AGP only) but I'm not sure if it's really worth the cash.

Fat Dog
15th Dec 2005, 15:42
If you're going to make that kind of investment I really suggest you go the whole hog with an A64/PCI-E etc.

Conan the Librarian
15th Dec 2005, 15:48
In the interim, have you considered throwing some more RAM at the old one? My main PC is an Athlon 2800XP with a 256mb Radeon 9600 and after biting the bullet and installing 1GB of RAM it flies along even now, two years after creation and would play pretty much anything you care to throw at it, with very good frame rates.

If you don't like the idea, let me be the first to offer you 50 quid for the box.

Conan