PDA

View Full Version : Adelaide's terminal to open on Dec 21st

Jungmeister
13th Dec 2005, 06:38
The airport operators AAL have announced that a temporary solution to the fuel problem has been found. The terminal should be in use from December 21st.

Press release (http://www.aal.com.au/common/uploaded_images/FuelSolution.pdf)

It still sounds a little doubtful with tankers backing up the in ground system where required.

:hmm:

Vacant Towers
13th Dec 2005, 06:46
Call me an old fuddy duddy, but moving into a 'new' terminal with all the associated risks of process and system failure a couple of days before Christmas has got to be high up the stupid scale:confused:

VT

Chadzat
13th Dec 2005, 08:20
Just like most of the policies implemented by our politicians I reckon this is just "being seen to be doing something."

If they do get it all swapped over by Christmas then its all fine, but if not then having to say "it'll only be open NEXT year, would make AAL look pretty bad indeed".

apacau
13th Dec 2005, 20:21
Don't forget the international carriers have been operating out of there since October. So yes there may be some teething problems specific to domestic/regional flights but many of them would already have been sorted out.

surfnsun
20th Dec 2005, 06:22
Ho hum....

Yet another delay....

Now opening sometime in the New Year? Pick a date....any date...

Chadzat
20th Dec 2005, 07:42
my monies on Friday 13th January.

I stand by my previous reply! ^^

Eastwest Loco
20th Dec 2005, 10:41
I was under the impression it was already hosting Rex.

We received notification for a few clients transiting ADL on way to BHQ that hey would be ex the new terrminal and instuctions on how to tranship.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Best all.

EWL

Captahab
20th Dec 2005, 13:39
You are correct EWL, REX did the first domestic RPT flight from there on Sunday morning.

The Eastern Dash 8 also operates from there, it did a trial run on Saturday with a load of freeloaders to Kangaroo Island and back.

Ahab

OZcabincrew
20th Dec 2005, 16:10
well wednesday is it! can't wait! it's about time, should've happened ten years ago! The QF Club is supposed to be fantastic! sad though the old airport is going, after all this time! oh well, here's to the future! haha.

apacau
20th Dec 2005, 20:52
Oops another stuff up...

This is beyond a joke and as an ex-adelaidian, rather embarrassing.

Just wait till the lawyers start...

From ABC news online

Adelaide airport delays domestic flights transfer

The start of domestic services out of Adelaide's new airport terminal has again been delayed.

A temporary solution to an ongoing fuel contamination problem was to have allowed Qantas, Jetstar and Virgin Blue to use the terminal from tomorrow.

The airlines have remained in the old terminal for the past two months.

Adelaide Airport managing director Phil Baker says he has had confirmation that the underlying fuel contamination problem is now fixed.

He says the temporary solution will not be ready until Thursday at the earliest.

"If not Thursday, at least between Christmas and the new year," he said.

Qantas says it is now unlikely to move its operation until the new year.

Virgin Blue says it will still look at moving in before Christmas, if the terminal is ready.

Virgin Blue Adelaide airport manager Fray Bowden says the latest development is a further step back.

"I think it's fair to say it's frustrating for everybody involved ... however, we need safe fuel for the aircraft," Mr Bowden said.

HI'er
21st Dec 2005, 17:55
...........so today is Thursday, the 22nd.

Are we any closer?

7gcbc
22nd Dec 2005, 00:00
no comment...............:E

Howard Hughes
22nd Dec 2005, 00:05
From the Notams today:
AD C0544/05 REVIEW C0541/05
REF AIP SUPP H54/05
REGIONAL DOM OPS ON TERMINAL 1 APRON TO COMMENCE 0512171830
FULL DOM OPS ON TERMINAL 1 APRON TO COMMENCE 0601031830
NEW TERMINAL 2 BAY DESIGNATIONS TO COMMENCE 0601031830
FROM 12 211026 TO PERM

Looks like it could be January 3........ http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/yeahright.gif

Aussie
22nd Dec 2005, 07:46
Flew into Sunny Adelaide today....old terminal :(

wrongwayaround
22nd Dec 2005, 11:05
as a fervent supporter of the wine industry..... I'm being patient :) You cannot beat a Barossa Valley red :p

I grew up in Adelaide - I think it's a great town. I know I know... It's taken a long time. Adelaide is lovely, when the new terminal is in full swing, it will be well worth it :O

Jawz
26th Dec 2005, 10:40
seriously...

any state that has a one-way freeway cant be expexcted to produce an international terminal on time...

my prediction .... march 2006

aviator's_anonymous
29th Dec 2005, 23:10
Is it just me or is there anyone else out there that thinks this new multi-Million airport is just ill-designed and lacks good planning?!!?
I mean, yes it's a pity that it has missed it's opening date and deadlines for domestic operations for the past 6 times, but what about the other small things that should be cleared first! Being an Adelaide-ian, i'm glad we got a new airport, it surely is about time.... but shouldn't we make the airport a bit better than accept a sub-standard new multi-million airport?

Firstly, has anyone even looked at the amount of Parking spaces available?! It's a joke... Come down Wednesday morning when there are 2-3 international flights...AND THERE ARE NO PARKING SPACES AVAIABLE! this is without current domestic operations... can you imagine what choas it will be when passengers can't find parking spaces when domestic operations start??

Next, should i even go on about the number of check-in counters available?? It may look like there's many... but once again, go in during one of the international flights...and there are barely any counters avaiable once again for domestic use! Did anyone do the math before designing this airport? Why create less counters in the new terminal, than there are currently now in the old International terminal and current Domestic QF/DJ counters combined?! Gawd knows what will happen when AirNZ and Emirates plan to come here...

Thirdly, can someone tell AAL to put in BIGGER flight monitors throughout the terminal?! With a HUGE airport, i don't see why they had to go install the smallest screens possible throughout the terminal, with the hardest reading font... it's a joke!!! Also, has anyone noticed there are no Clocks anywhere in the terminal?
I guess on-time performance is not a top priority with the delays ey?

Next, Why are there no SEATS for PAX anywhere? Before boarding, there are no where enough seats for all pax waiting to board an international flight, plus, there are NO seats in the check-in area, so people who may have arrived early and waiting for check-in have no where to sit to wait for check-in! I'm sure all the elderly and people who need to wait for the Connection flight to open and other counters will love the "standing" wait when they can't go through security because they have their check-in luggage with them with stuff they can't take through...

and Lastly, but not least (i could go on about much much more, but i'll spare you the reading), could AAL have designed a more POORLY looking International Arrivals area?! I mean... it looks worse than the OLD international terminal! A white wall that International Passengers are greeted with, that diverts them to the corner and then there's barely enough room with all the people waiting for arriving intl passengers and with the Cafe in the corner too!! They could have just installed railing or something to open the area up, at least families could see who's coming out, rather just a white wall.... a flight information screen on that white wall with arrival details, or a tv screen of a camera showing outcoming passengers like they do in many overseas countries could fix it up a bit... but still...piss poor planning...

ANYWAYS, after all my rambling...i'm sure there are plenty good things about the new terminal, but just the small attention to some details would make Adelaide less of a joke when interstaters and international passengers arrive and see the new "state of the art, Multi-Million Dollar Airport"....

anyone else agree with me?

Captahab
30th Dec 2005, 04:34
Its an embarassment aa.
Main problem is that the management (for want of a better word) have got their pointy heads so far up their ********* that they dont know day from night.
They wont listen, they know better and its not their fault, blame Telstra, Mobil, Hansen & Yuncken, the airlines and Mabo, and then 90% of them go on flamin holidays while they expect airlines to move in and set up.

They have got a new crew of security gestapo straight from Centrelink and they are making up for lost time they havent spent in a uniform.

Security is a joke, regional aircrew get screened going to the tarmac and again to get from the tarmac back into the terminal, while catering personnel drive onto the tarmac and load whatever they want while no one is around. Engineers drive where they want from their non secured hangars.

Unbelievable mess.

Ahab

Jungmeister
30th Dec 2005, 09:40
I am sure that there are many problems that will arise when the new terminal becomes fully operational.

To give credit where it is due, however, the building is a Multi User Terminal. This means that the Domestic and International operations can be swapped about (to a degree anyway).

The original concept was that check in facilities could be utilised by any company. The bays were basically shared around with QANTAS at the SW end, Internationals around the centre and ANSETT at the NE end. How this shapes up with JETSTAR and Virgin is anybody's guess. I am sure there is a plan! But the fact remains that bays and counters can be swapped around. This must increase capacity a bit.

I don't know the number of check in counters in the new compared with the old. There will be an outcry from all and sundry if check in delays increase. Let's hope the signage is good.

There has been some bad press regarding PAX from regional flights having to walk a very long way and go through security on ARRIVAL from their insecure departure point.

It will be interesting to see how ATC and pilots cope with entry to and from the apron. There is no real parallel taxiway so all pushbacks have the potential to restrict access to the apron in the same way as they do now. I know a lot of work has been put into coming up with a standard system but my guess is that flexibility and creativity will be the keynote on Day 1.

By the way, why do so many insist on referring to it as a new airport? When I last checked it was still in the same place-at West Beach. The new airport at Two Wells and/or Monarto never got off the ground!

:rolleyes:

Chadzat
31st Dec 2005, 04:57
"By the way, why do so many insist on referring to it as a new airport? When I last checked it was still in the same place-at West Beach. The new airport at Two Wells and/or Monarto never got off the ground! "

THANKYOU! jungmeister, I thought I was the only one going insane from that. The media here started it off, and the plebs are now saying it too. ITS A NEW TERMINAL

aa, yes I do whole heartedly agree with you on most of your points, the screens especially, apart from the main "flick flick" arrivals board the other televisions are so smallyou have to walk to within 5metres to read the damn things. The seats in the departure lounges are also very much looks before comfort and functionality. And even the looks are debatable.

Still...beggars can't be choosers!:}

7gcbc
1st Jan 2006, 10:56
honestly, pathethic and :sad:

all they really needed to do was take a simple fcuking look at any major municipal in the USA and copy it for crying out loud.

but no, they apparently knew better .........?

aviator's_anonymous
1st Jan 2006, 22:13
any airport in the U.S, Europe, or Asia ... but ah well... *sigh*... we'll make do with what we got now... the same way we dealt with the One Way Expressway. Hopefully we don't make the same mistakes with the new Trams down King William and up North Adelaide...

Capt EFIS
2nd Jan 2006, 08:23
The latest news is that with only a couple of days before they are due to start using the airport for domestic operations (4th Jan) they have found water in the fuel pipes.

Not too sure if this is going to cause any additional delays.....

Also heard something interesting from AAL......

Flight crew will not be able to exit the terminal building from the access doors located in the baggage area. Apparently opening these doors pose a security risk as people in the baggage collection area can sneak airside while the doors are open. This causes any regional flight crew to be re-screened just to be able to go home.

For god's sake AAL... give the flight crew a bit of credit that they are able to ensure no one gets in the door while they are going out (as is done in just about any other door in the place).

aviator's_anonymous
2nd Jan 2006, 09:25
I'm not sure whether to cry or just laugh from embarrassment..... Channel 10 news tonight (2nd Jan) have reported that the Airport has released that they would not be able to meet their Jan 4th Deadline... You think they would have learnt by now to just keep their Mouth Shut about ANY dates and Deadlines... It'd be so much better if they just said, we'll Fix the Problem and announce it when it's done....rather than screw themselves over missing each Unrealistic Deadline they set for each opening...lol

woftam
2nd Jan 2006, 11:02
aa,
If that is the case then the Notam has not been amended as yet.
This is current as at 1200z tonight (2nd Jan).
:confused:
Quote:
" C544/05 REVIEW C541/05
REF AIP SUPP H54/05
FULL DOM OPS ON TERMINAL 1 APRON TO COMMENCE 0601031830
NEW TERMINAL 2 BAY DESIGNATIONS TO COMMENCE 0601031830
FROM 12 211026 TO PERM"

woftam
3rd Jan 2006, 12:35
aa,
Spot on mate! :ok:
This is the latest Notam.
Looks like the 9th is the latest guess!!!!! :*
Becoming a bit of a joke now. :bored:

REF AIP SUPP H54/05
FULL DOM OPS ON TERMINAL 1 APRON TO COMMENCE 0601081830
NEW TERMINAL 2 BAY DESIGNATIONS TO COMMENCE 0601081830
FROM 01 030646 TO PERM

7gcbc
3rd Jan 2006, 14:01
bet they won't even make that........:uhoh:

aviator's_anonymous
4th Jan 2006, 03:20
hehehe, i really just had to piss my pants laughing when i got an email about operations yet being delayed AGAIN...
looks like they're gonna keep their mouth shut this time...
From higher sources, it said that "Adelaide airport have advised that the new date for domestic operations is to be advised. Further information should be available Friday 6 Jan.".... hmmm... well, we'll wait for the good new on friday then..:ok: :rolleyes: whahahaha....lol

Pinky the pilot
4th Jan 2006, 08:50
Don't know what anyone else thinks but I'm not laughing about this sorry saga anymore! It has now progressed far beyond any semblence to any joke I could possibly dream up, even after a good session on good Aussie red!
I think that it is way past high time that a few hard questions were put to those in charge of establishing this enterprise and if necessary making a 'few heads roll!'
Of course this will not happen!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Captahab
4th Jan 2006, 09:50
I think that it is way past high time that a few hard questions were put to those in charge of establishing this enterprise and if necessary making a 'few heads roll!'

You may have to wait until they come back from Chrissy Holidays PP, cant interfere with that. :mad:

aviator's_anonymous
6th Jan 2006, 05:59
Alright, so the latest rumor is that they've been running tests for the three pumps over the last couple of days at full capacity and have found no contamination. So they're predicting to start operations on Thursday the 12th!?
Should we hold our breath or not? :rolleyes: :p ;)

Chadzat
6th Jan 2006, 07:01
I still stand by the 13th like I said a while ago!! hehe

7gcbc
6th Jan 2006, 07:23
bet they won't even make that........:uhoh:
I am however confused, :confused: are they referring to 12th January 2006 or 12th October 2006 ? There are two thursdays the 12th in 2006. :p

aviator's_anonymous
7th Jan 2006, 22:48
Well, I don't know how accurate the Notams are, but looks like they've updated it again.. it now reads:
REF AIP SUPP H54/05
FULL DOM OPS ON TERMINAL 1 APRON TO COMMENCE 0601111830
NEW TERMINAL 2 BAY DESIGNATIONS TO COMMENCE 0601111830
FROM 01 062313 TO PERM

which goes along with what i heard about domestic operations starting on Thursday, the 12th of January...

Ferrett
10th Jan 2006, 02:57
Looks like Friday, 13 January for domestic jet operations. Not wishing to sound superstitious but not a good day to start!:sad:

aviator's_anonymous
10th Jan 2006, 07:54
Hehehehe......that would be totally funny..... The media would have a total blast with the headlines! :D

Ferrett
11th Jan 2006, 22:21
Just heard the opening of the terminal is delayed past 13, January. New date TBA.......

woftam
11th Jan 2006, 22:28
Well,the JOKE continues!!!!!
Here is the latest NOTAM.

C6/06 REVIEW C5/06
REF AIP SUPP H54/05
FULL DOM OPS ON TERMINAL 1 APRON TO COMMENCE 0601161830
NEW TERMINAL 2 BAY DESIGNATIONS TO COMMENCE 0601161830
FROM 01 111006 TO 04 100500

Looks like the 17th is the latest GUESS !!!!
Talk about a laughing stock.
:bored:

Capt EFIS
13th Jan 2006, 09:56
Just heard that during the testing process they have now found rust showing up in the fuel samples.

Looks like they should of left the anti-corrosive coating in the pipes!! If they can't sort this problem out then some say it could be May before domestic operations are in the new terminal.

Chadzat
13th Jan 2006, 09:58
looks like a total piping replacement is on the cards.

7gcbc
13th Jan 2006, 15:20
why bother, at this rate its probably better to just bulldoze the new terminal, the surrounding area, the area next to that, the bit just north of Bradman drive, the bit south of Bradman drive, the bit east of Bradman crescent, the bit NE of Bradman court, the bit East of Bradman Avenue, the bit ............. well you get the idea about A-dull-ade.........................:{

UnderneathTheRadar
13th Jan 2006, 20:23
Had to laugh on a recent trip to SA where the state governments tv advertising of how wonderful the state is involves lots of CGI shots of people getting off planes and walking across aerobridges on their way to various SA events........

Winky Dink
16th Jan 2006, 00:33
Adelaide a world best city to live in
By LAURA ANDERSON
16jan06
WHILE it may have become less attractive to tourists, Adelaide is actually one of the world's most "liveable" cities, according to a worldwide survey.
International business publication The Economist has named Adelaide as one of the world's most desirable places to live, in an international survey of 127 cities.
Adelaide was ranked alongside Sydney and Perth in equal fifth place, with Vancouver topping the list.
Premier Mike Rann said the survey results were further recognition of Adelaide as a world-class destination. In November, Adelaide was also named as one of the world's best business destinations in The Economist.
"The Economist joins respected organisations such as the Australian Industry Group and KPMG in confirming Adelaide's status as one of the world's best cities in which to live and do business," Mr Rann said.
Deputy Lord Mayor Cris Magasdi agreed, saying that Adelaide was " a great city to live in".
"Adelaide is great, the prices are good and the housing availability is very good," he said.
"We have everything working for us here.
"I have just come back from overseas and even Americans are beginning to realise how good Adelaide is.
"We are starting to get a very good name."
Tourism industry leaders have recently raised concerns about a decline in tourist numbers to South Australia.
However, the study - conducted by the Economic Intelligence Unit - found Adelaide ranked well in categories of stability, health care, culture and environment, education and infrastructure.
Mr Rann said "factors including our triple-A credit rating, the strength of the state economy, our record low levels of unemployment, and our success in winning major projects help to make Adelaide a very attractive destination".
The survey found that Australia "has some of the most liveable places in the world", with Melbourne ranking second overall.
"Perth, Adelaide and Sydney join Zurich, Toronto and Calgary in joint 5th place," the report says. "Just below this is Brisbane in joint 11th place."
Although I am an Victorian and it hurts me to post this. I'm sick of the Adelaide negativity on this so called professional forum!

Howard Hughes
16th Jan 2006, 01:17
Although I am an Victorian and it hurts me to post this. I'm sick of the Adelaide negativity on this so call professional foum!
ALL yours 7gcbc :mad: :mad:
The 19 million Australians that don't live in Adelaide, can't all be wrong!!;)

According to your story, whilst very livable, Adelaide still rates behind Melbourne and several other places. It does make a good case for Australia though, that nearly all our state capitals are in the top ten!!

So much for "Brisevegas"!!:ok:

Jungmeister
16th Jan 2006, 04:04
Phil Baker, the CEO of AAL was interviewed on ABC radio this morning. He is now saying that the terminal will probably not be operational until late February or even March!
He was asked who he was going to sue, but of course he was very cagey. He did admit that the lengthy delay was hurting financially. He talked about the pipes laying in open trenches during construction and picking up foreign matter including dirt and water.
One would have to question the engineering methods used. The delays are disgraceful and embarrassing for anyone involved in the aviation industry and of course for the travelling public.
By the way, that ongoing debate (above) regarding the merits or otherwise of living in Adelaide is very boring and irrelevant. I would urge people not to get involved in such puerile rubbish. :*
However, knowing what titillates some of the posters here I expect my pleas will fall on some deaf ears.

7gcbc
16th Jan 2006, 07:11
apologies, I don't wish to gloat so I'll stop right there.

Laura Anderson ? surely not of Adelaide Advertiser Fame ? did not have to google far to come up with this gem:

Mediawatch :

On 8 November 2004 we ticked off the Adelaide Advertiser for their front-page splash on literacy:

First Class Child literacy rates hit highest level By Greg Kelton and Laura Anderson A record number of primary school students in South Australia is now reading, writing and spelling better than ever before. -The Advertiser, 27 October 2004, page 1. :uhoh:

Is? Is? A record number of kiddies ARE reading, writing and spelling better than ever before. And the sooner they grow up and get jobs at the Advertiser, the better for all concerned.

:{

The report is here : http://store.eiu.com/index.asp?layout=pr_story&press_id=660001866

Key factor in influencing the choice ? Safety from terrorism, the Advertiser butters it up though, adding pieces that were not in the original report, and KPMG ? well what can we say about a company that has changed its name to Bearing Point to distance itself from its dishonest past in the US.

You're right , I'll stop now.......don't want that smoke to dissipate and those mirrors to break :eek:

W800i
18th Jan 2006, 03:49
From the front page of this weeks Adelaide Independent Weekly.
"Continuing blunders on the ground at Adelaide airport"

"Qantaslink aircraft using Adelaides trouble plagued new terminal are unable to park close to their regional passenger gate becuase of a blunder over tarmac quality. The airlines Dash 8 aircraft are too heavy to park on designated Qantaslink bays...."

"Qantas executive general manager of regional airlines...., says Qantaslink Dash 8 aircraft operations were not aniticpated when the terminal was being built. However the independent weekly understands National jet systems was considering using the terminal for Dash 8's and provision for the heavier aircraft was still not made."

"Rex managing director ...... told the Independent weekly that passenger convenience had been indentified as a major issue when the terminal was in its initial design phase, but " no one wanted to listen". "What angers us most is that passengers are now blaming us.""

"Rex is pushing the airport to build another travelator and provide a shuttle bus"

I have seen Mobil pumping in a couple of new spots landside this week. The first is opposite the old airport club and the second is by Targets depot over by Sir Donald Bradman drive. Just a very rough guess but are they trying to identify which specific parts of the pipe is contaminated. If they can will digging up and replacing a small section appease the airlines or will AAL have to dig the whole thing up regardless. Any experts out their???

phuqmeded
24th Jan 2006, 23:26
7gcbcFirst Class Child literacy rates hit highest level By Greg Kelton and Laura Anderson A record number of primary school students in South Australia is now reading, writing and spelling better than ever before. -The Advertiser, 27 October 2004, page 1.
Is? Is? A record number of kiddies ARE reading, writing and spelling better than ever before.
I may be wrong but as the article refers to a singular number of students, (ie 'a record number') the correct grammar would be 'is'. If the number of students was plural, you would say they 'are' (ie record numbers of students are...'). sound ok?

Jawz
25th Jan 2006, 11:41
as a canetoad living is sa .. let me say that it aint too bad here.
Houses are cheap. .... um thats about it ...
Its dry, the beer has floaty bits in it, worst drivers in aust, but apart from that it is just like darwin ... beautiful beaches, but if you go swimming you die.
maybe the airport should have consulted IKEA to help them in the construction of the terminal.
Lets just hope it's not "terminal"ly ill
BOOM BOOM :hmm:

2b2
25th Jan 2006, 11:48
.. , worst drivers in aust, :hmm:
thats pretty rich coming from a Queenslander:eek:

Raider1
31st Jan 2006, 08:58
ABC 7.30 Report had a segment on the Adelaide Airport terminal problems tonight. Had to feel sorry for the manager Phil Baker. He is wearing all the flack. Although the Premier sounded pretty pissed off too. Guess he would with an election looming.
Seems the piping contract was sub contracted along the way and the report claimed the technology used had never been used in aviation before....mmmm:ugh:

aviator's_anonymous
3rd Feb 2006, 04:19
Have been on holidays overseas for a couple of weeks, so am pretty excited about arriving back this weekend into the new terminal through the eyes of an international traveler arriving in adelaide for the first time in the new terminal. Am wondering what the arrivals/customs process is like, and what the feel is like in the arrivals hall. I'll be keeping notes... hehe :p
The departure process was alright, altho there were some things that could definately be improved on... (i'll ramble about them all in one post when i return to adelaide)
Although am still dissapointed, like everyone else i'm sure, that domestic operations are still at the old terminal, just means it'll be back to old routines and nothing new when i get back to work :D
Went to check out some reports to see if any new progress has been made, and stumbled across this report, probably a few days old for people in Adelaide, but the device used for cleaning the fuel pipes had shattered?
The story found on The Australian here :
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18000679%255E23349,00.html
Oh well.. poor Baker, and the whole AAL team, does seem like they were jinxed from the start... but that'll teach them for cost cutting and rushing things...hehe :ok:

Kanga767
3rd Feb 2006, 05:27
am pretty excited about arriving back this weekend into the new terminal through the eyes of an international traveler arriving in adelaide

Well, you'll just love it after your preamble in DRW waiting in the aerobridge at 5am.

Of course, if your reply is something like 'missing DRW' on the way in then we know you're on another carrier that missed the tight security in the north, and progressed clear across the nation despite it.

K

Ferrett
3rd Feb 2006, 12:18
Had to feel sorry for the manager Phil Baker

I don't. The whole issue has been handled very badly. The continual yes we are opening followed shortly thereafter by no we are not, stinks of incompetence and bad management.

W800i
7th Feb 2006, 01:20
From Crikey.com

12. Adelaide's new airport not landing anytime soon

Allan Calleja, in Adelaide, writes:

The latest revelations about Adelaide's officially opened, yet not quite fully functioning, you beaut pride and joy airport are just adding contaminated fuel to the fire of rumours.

“All that stuff about contaminated fuel lines it's just a smokescreen,” says one construction industry insider. The public's been told since October that the problem was only days away from being fixed but it's now harder than ever to ignore the rumours that Qantas has briefed its staff to the effect that there'll be no move into the new building until at least March.

The word is that some of the floors in the walkways are warped, windows pop in the heat, security doors won't shut and the software involved in the new building doesn't work. But wait, there's more. Since November, construction industry insiders have been saying Adelaide Airport has been trying to delay the inevitable rather than immediately do what's needed which is dig up the fuel line and replace it because it's been laid wrongly.

The Adelaide Advertiser reported at the weekend that Rex Airlines, which moved in months ago, has written to Adelaide Airport and MPs comparing walkways “ to prison walkways and cattle ramps” and complaining of “gross errors in planning and actual construction.”

That adds to the other rumour that the construction was rush job. Airport management had made a big song and dance that the construction was six months ahead of schedule. Passengers can expect more delays.

Channel 10 reported last week that International airlines would be using the re fuelling hydrants within 2 weeks. Well see whose correct!!

aviator's_anonymous
7th Feb 2006, 03:08
Well, Arrived back in Adelaide's New Terminal this past weekend from overseas which was a nice thing. I can't say there's too much to comment about it that hasn't been said already before.
Exiting the Aircraft into the glass aerobridge was cool, it was nice to look around a bit after being in a 8-9 hour flight. I couldn't but help wonder tho if only 1 aerobridge per gate would be enough. I know we currently don't have 747 Passanger jets into adelaide, and i highly doubt we'd ever get the A380's into adelaide (even tho they claim the airport is A380 Equiped)
but if we do, would 1 aerobridge be enough for big jets?

anyways, upon exiting the aerobridge, i was dissapointed to see that all there was to greet International arrival passengers was a LONG White hallway with....NOTHING...Literally a long narrow hall walkway with white walls... you think they'd put up maybe Pictures of Adelaide, the barossa or pictures around SA, or even just advertisements or SOMETHING to lighten up the dull boring white corridor...but nothing...just a plain white wall...
There weren't even windows or anything to look out, and the only windows were these small ones that did nothing for the view. Anyways, ground staff greeted passangers for Transfers and directed them into another door while others walked to the customs area, or got sucked into the last attempt at your money...the duty free area.

The customs process was a fairly quick process for me (thanks to a free upgrade to Business Class), i literally walked right up to the counter and got through in under a minute. Not too sure what the wait would of been like for the people near the last rows of the aircraft tho. Didn't really seem like they had more customs counters than the old terminal? But i can't really remember now..

After customs, you come down stairs or escalators to the the arrivals courasel Hall area which was quite spacious. A big hall, but once again, dissapointingly BARE! A BIG WHITE room with again... nothing...
It seemed spacious with only our flight in the hall, but once again, i'm not sure what it'd be like if they had more than one flight in, or a 747.

****I would like to make one comment to Anyone who may be able to change this who may be happening to read this.***
I was more than happy to see that they had the only "Emergency Exit Door" barricaded with Luggage, Trolleys, and Rope in front of the door way :* NOT...
I would like to think they would keep the Only Emergency Exit (that i could see) CLEAR of obstacles, Especially the Customs Rope (whatever u call it). The Emergency Exit door im referring to is the one directly in front of the esculators/stairs as you come down them from the customs area. Next to the Customer Service Area for Baggage. If anyone could change this, or would this require a call to someone at AAL?

Anyways, back to track, after picking up my luggage, i came upon the Quarantine Area. This is one area that has been improved from the past i reccon. There definately was more quarantine officers checking luggage, and once again, it didn't take long to clear this area as i had no major things to declare. It seems like they are screening everyone now, and you didn't have the option of having things to Declare or Not. You go through the same path, and a custom official directs you down 1 of 3 paths to different quarantine areas. It seems like they have this process down pretty good.

Lastly, exiting the Quarantine Area, i went through the sliding doors, Only to be greeted by... a WHITE WALL :* Grrr... you think they'd again paint something like, Welcome to Adelaide......or SOMETHING on the wall. But no, you're faced with a white wall, turn right and then there are all the families and people waiting in the corner for the Arrival passengers. Like said before in a previous post, this area was badly designed. Definately not enough room for all the people waiting and arriving. Bad BAD design...

Anyways, that's my ramp for the day...
Oh, i read today in the Advertiser (Feb 7) that Rex have put some sort of ultimatom down to AAL, either improve certain things (not too sure what exactly, but you can pretty much guess) or they will Move back to the Old Terminal? I think that would totally be a slap in the face for AAL if REX move back into the old terminal...hehe :p

That was my experience for my first arrival in the New Terminal, i guess we only can sit and wait to see when domestic operations will start :hmm:

Deejay 1
7th Feb 2006, 06:32

The Adelaide Advertiser reported at the weekend that Rex Airlines, which moved in months ago, has written to Adelaide Airport and MPs comparing walkways “ to prison walkways and cattle ramps” and complaining of “gross errors in planning and actual construction.”

Rex were having a grizzle before the first sod was dug, writing to all the regional councils.
Rex pax should be grateful that the walkways are fully covered, cos I think at one stage they were just going to be a roof and one side.
I wonder if they are more concerned that QLink pax don't have anywhere the distance to walk to the terminal at the other end?????

Agree that all the travelators should have been put in from the outset, but the distances aren't that much different to MEL/SYD where they also fly.

I'm surprised that they didnt stay in the old/current terminal where they would have had much more control over their destiny and had a shuttle bus go backwards and forwards (or should that be forwards and backwards) to the new terminal. I don't think that their oncarriage is huge.

From a regional perspective, having to clear security with its charge it get into the terminal is more of an issue for the pax.

aviator's_anonymous
7th Feb 2006, 06:44
Well, just another prime example of cost cutting....
Esculators and all....
I'm surprised the walkways aren't even at least half seethrough like the Current Domestic Terminal with Glass sides or something. I have walked through the GA walkways and they do seem a bit small, and definately not a good feel for those who don't like cramped spaces. Plus the material they're built with, don't really ventaliate the heat during the summer.

king oath
8th Feb 2006, 02:19
Initially I wondered how you can get sand, mud and foreign material inside a pristine new piece of fuel pipe.

One of the workers in the know spilled the beans in a fish wrapper I read a few days back.

According to the article, the pipes were allegedly laid in open trenches and left there for the welders to come along and join them. Then it rains and the trenches fill up with mud, sand and other contaminants.

Then, allegedly, the welders come along and do what welders do...weld.
Result... pipes full of crap that need to be cleaned out.

If this story is true the mind boggles at the standard of training and common sense of those involved. Good old Aussie engineering.

Chronic Snoozer
8th Feb 2006, 06:19
'king oath,

What the fish wrapper says makes sense, however surely the pipes would have been given a 'flush' anyway as part of normal construction procedure? i.e. it wasn't omitted.

Sounds like there was just too much dirt/mud/crap.

aviator's_anonymous
10th Feb 2006, 09:51
Well, according to AAL's website http://www.aal.com.au/media/default.aspx and press release, they're ready with the fuel system and ready for Domestic Operations to start next week?! Seems like it could be it this time...or are they gonna shoot themselves in the foot again? :rolleyes:

7gcbc
10th Feb 2006, 13:05
I'll bet they perform balisticus pedes shootus est , but that's just me being consistant, or is it aal ? :uhoh:

Deejay 1
14th Feb 2006, 02:12
Check out Rex' website to see how happy they are with the new terminal!

aviator's_anonymous
14th Feb 2006, 04:31
Well, as long as Rex is happy. The bus option could work, i know many airports around the world have airport busses that passangers get on after they exit the aircraft, and then it takes them around to the terminal. The only question is... where would the bus take them to enter the terminal, i'm not too sure the design of the airport has allowed for something like this?

As most of u have probably heard already, the opening date now is Friday the 17th of Feb...Seems like it's pretty much a go ahead this time...Gotta love it, heard over the radio that people were changing flights just so they could fly out of the new terminal on friday.... hahaha... if they were even slightly intelligent, they would stay farrrr away from the new terminal on friday! I hightly doubt there'll be smooth operations on the first day with a delay or two...or three :E Ready for the choas the first day of operations when no one knows what's going on :confused:

W800i
15th Feb 2006, 02:14
Thanks Deejay 1. Rex have declared war havent they.
http://www.rex.com.au/corp_info/mc_adlviews.aspx
- I wonder were exactly the bus would drop people off?
- When Rex say re regulate airports, what does that entail?
- AAL are apparently going to build a multi storey car park near the new terminal?
- Im not entirely sure I would want to be on a plane for the first flights once the under ground re fuelling begins today.
The photo of Phil Baker was interesting. The joys of running a airport. Hopefully the learning curve is being walked!

7gcbc
16th Feb 2006, 00:02
. The joys of running a airport. Hopefully the learning curve is being walked!

Highly unlikely given SA's "mickey-mouse-mckinsey-mba'ers" (conceit doth overcome reality), however it really does remain to be seen. :uhoh:

The Rex statement is so loose, and AALs' commitment vague, one wonders if it is PR.

If I were REX i'd get legal, once aal have them in there, they will go live with the Terminal at Rex's expense.

Deejay 1
16th Feb 2006, 21:02
Well let me be the first to say congrats to AAL for the first day of ops at the new terminal. Time for a Greg Norman beer ad song????????

Looking forward to seeing it this weekend up and running in all its shiny glory.

So Woomera, does this thread now close????

aviator's_anonymous
17th Feb 2006, 06:08
Would also like to Congratulate AAL and all airlines for what seemed to be, smooth running for the most part, on the first day of Operations at the new terminal! It definately had a good vibe around the Terminal today, and wasn't as congested as some had expected it to be.
Other than the walking and a few signage problems, or lack there of, i should say.. everything seemed good!
Main example i saw of signage problem was when a pax was coming down the travelator to collect their baggage, didn't know which carossel their luggage was coming out on... a screen at the bottom of the travelator/stairs showing Flight Numbers corresponding to Carasel 1,2,3,4 would easily fix the problem... Anyways, Congrats again AAL, and hopefully Mike Rann's proposal to attract 10 other major international airlines to come to Adelaide, might see a Terminal 2 in the future ? hehe :ok:

Sue Ridgepipe
17th Feb 2006, 06:15
So where's the Eastern Dash parking now that big brother has moved in? Does it have it's own designated bay? And is it true that most of the regional bays cannot handle the dash due to pavement strength limitations. If so, what will happen when/if Eastern expand their ADL ops?:confused:

Keg
17th Feb 2006, 12:53
Other than the walking and a few signage problems, or lack there of, i should say.. everything seemed good!

Geez, I would have thought that they would have managed to sort poor signage out at some stage in the last few months that they've been 'open'! A 'good' day? :* :confused:

Winky Dink
18th Feb 2006, 07:46
Geez, I would have thought that they would have managed to sort poor signage out at some stage in the last few months that they've been 'open'! A 'good' day? :* :confused:

Well, sorry Mr. logistics manager, if only you were in charge perhaps we could turn the beautiful new Adelaide airport terminal into a smog ridden, overcrowded, confusing and in general craphole like Kingsford Smith!

Having flown into Adelaide yesterday morning and back to Melbourne in the evening, the ease of checking in and boarding aircraft in Adelaide makes Sydney look like a backwater! Not to mention the ease of Tullarmarine too!

Congrats AAL on the first day of operations.