PDA

View Full Version : North Sea Job Prospects

erchie
2nd Jun 2005, 14:54
Can anybody help with some names of those responsible for recruiting in Aberdeen for Bond, Bristow and CHC? It seems that this is a position with high turnover, same person not there for more than a couple of months at a time. What is the current situation??

Boatie
2nd Jun 2005, 16:04
erchie

captain malcolm payne a name i heard as head of flight ops for bond

Sabre Zero 1
2nd Jun 2005, 16:13
Used to be Steven West-Oram, but he's moved down to Bond Helicopter Services at Gloucester. (He's a nice guy and very helpful if you ask the right questions!)

332mistress
2nd Jun 2005, 19:49
For Bond Offshore try 01224 779007 and ask for Lord Melchet as he is in charge of recruiting;)

332M

SASless
2nd Jun 2005, 20:32
Responsible and Bristow....in the HR department???

bondu
3rd Jun 2005, 19:38
SASless

Spot on!!! :{

bondu:{

hemac
3rd Jun 2005, 22:07
You're all very helpful people, aren't you?
Smug in your comfortable jobs when someone is looking for a leg up.
Shame on you all.

H.

flyer43
3rd Jun 2005, 22:44
Smug maybe, but who said anything about any of them, or me, having comfortable jobs?
Why does erchie want to know the names of the people in charge of recruiting? Isn't it obvious that, rather than wasting time reading silly responses on PPRUNE you should just address your application/enquiry to the Operations Director of whichever organisation you are wishing to contact? Or to put it another way, use some initiative.......

hemac
4th Jun 2005, 05:43
Initiative is a wonderful thing, and should be used at every oportunity.
Flyer perhaps you should post a thread asking if there are any jobs going in your neck of the woods.

TTFN
H.

Tynecastle
4th Jun 2005, 05:54
Erchie,
For CHC go to www.chc.ca, they list all the names and addresses of the recruiters for all their divisions.
Same for Bristow, go to www.bristowhelicopters.com.
Sorry, no info for Bond.
Good Luck.
TC.

flyer43
4th Jun 2005, 08:38
I used the word "comfortable", but I didn't mean that some of our jobs are not challenging, enjoyable or rewarding....
Not too many jobs available in my neck of the woods though!

jbrereton
4th Jun 2005, 09:02
Trying to work out if I know you.

Bitter and twisted pilot on the Northsea flying stone age aircraft.

Hmmm!

Leave the new boys alone, you were there once along with your

enthusiasm.

WU

flyer43
4th Jun 2005, 09:28
Haven't flown on the North sea since the late 80's, and haven't flown much since the early 90's, but I renew my licence from time to time in case I get the urge to return before I get too old and bitter. (Actually the urge is getting stronger!)

My neck of the woods is in the middle of Wiltshire....probably not much of a clue - not many jobs around here.

Maybe I'm using some badly chosen words to encourage "newbies" into the fraternity. But there is a fine line between asking for advice and asking people to do everything for you. Hence my comment about using initiative - it often stands out in the way a job application/enquiry is put together and could make all the difference.

Despite some of the bitter and twisted comments from fellow "PPruners", including yours truly from time to time, there are lots of good opportunities out there waiting to be had. So any of you wanting to get one of the jobs, stop wasting too much time confusing yourself with "helpful" comments on this site and go out there and grab a slice of the action before its too late.

212man
4th Jun 2005, 10:57
Can't be a***d to look in the dictionary; can someone tell me what initiative means?

MK10
4th Jun 2005, 11:11
think its where you are required to put your
initials, on a tech log for example.

erchie
4th Jun 2005, 12:34
Flyer43, I live many miles away from any kind of aviation hub, and as such simply wanted to find out who I should ask for/ address a letter. As for wasting time and not displaying any kind of initiative, whats wrong with bouncing a simple question off some that may know the answer so as not to look a complete tw@ when presenting yourself to people that you want to work for??
Someone has to write the pointless responses....:ok:

Simon853
4th Jun 2005, 12:38
Erchie,
Get yourself a copy of the BHAB Information Handbook. (About £12 from the BHAB website.) It's got all the names and contact addresses you need.

Regards,

Si

flyer43
4th Jun 2005, 12:45
I couldn't agree more, and I'm sorry that you received so many pointless responses. My last comments were not aimed at you personally, but at some of the wasters I have seen on this site.
Maybe, as has been previously suggested, I am bitter and twisted, but I did at least suggest to you that you should just write in to the Operations Director of any of the companies on the market. You will soon find out whether they are interested.

From what I have seen of the few "sensible" respondees on this thread you should have enough to get going with by now. If not, suggest you search Rotorheads for similar threads as I'm sure this subject has cropped up before.

Cheers & Good luck!!

erchie
4th Jun 2005, 13:57
Thanks for the helpful comments. Much appreciated.

hemac
4th Jun 2005, 15:28
Thats more like it chaps.
Now we're acting like the close knit, do anything for anyone, flying community that I dreamt about before embarking on my flying career.
By the way I had my first helicopter lesson today and I've got another one tomorrow, Yippee!
Wish me luck.

TeeS
4th Jun 2005, 15:44
I have always been of the opinion that your letter should be addressed to the correct individual, not his position. It might not make any difference to the eventual outcome but it does show that you made the effort to find out.

The downside is that you have to make sure that you have written to the correct person, so although the BHAB handbook is a good starting point, personalities change, so ALWAYS phone the head office number and ask for the name and contact address for the Chief Pilot, Head of Flight Ops etc. Word of warning, be prepared for the Chief Pilot to answer the phone, especially in the smaller companies - don't burble if he asks you what you want!

Good Luck

TeeS

nicksmalley
4th Jun 2005, 18:21
Erchie,

Two weeks ago, I was advised to write to the following:

Bond = Malcolm Payne

CHC Europe = Susan Coutts

Bristow = Paul Quick

Man thats all the guy wanted to know, was it really that hard to give him the answer?

Good luck Erchie

Nick

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
5th Jun 2005, 15:07
I think the Bristow man is Dave Miller who is in Aberdeen. He was listed as the Head of Flight Ops last time I looked. But I willingly stand to be corrected if I'm wrong :ok:

TheFlyingSquirrel
5th Jun 2005, 15:36
And now you have to pester them. Malcolm Paine said to me, " I have over 200 applications here from newbies, where do I start? " Make sure they know your name. The odd phone call every couple of months or so. Got another 20 hours? Let them know - but at the end of the day, it seems to be who, rather than what you know, to get aboard the good ship North Sea. The pilots up there seem to be treated like crap anyway !

TFS

jbrereton
5th Jun 2005, 18:51
"The pilots up there seem to be treated like crap anyway"

Is that a fact. I wish you guys would get your facts straight. I talk to them and they are NOT treated like crap.

Jealousy is a terrible thing

Jon

bondu
5th Jun 2005, 19:15
"Treated like crap"

At least 'crap' doesn't have its pension scheme destroyed by an HR (human refuse) director. Nor does SAR 'crap' have its terms and conditions trashed by same HR director, without negotiation. Or, at least, notifying said SAR 'crap' that Ts and Cs were to be trashed. Said HR director has made recovering all he 'gave away' with Benchmarking, his vocation for the last three years. He has almost succeeded! Perhaps it is time to teach him a lesson.

So, "treated like crap?" It all depends on your point of view. If working wearing a rubber bag, strapped into a noisy, vibrating metal box, over one of the most hostile environments, is your cup of tea, then OK. To receive probably the highest salaries you can get as a helicopter pilot anywhere for what you do, OK. Expect to be treated like an intelligent employee/human being, perhaps! But not with the current style/type of manager in North Sea operators.

As I said above: its all in your point of view!

North Sea pilots WILL be treated like crap, as long as they allow the so called 'managements' to do so.

PS. You obviously have a short memory, JB!!

PPS. For Bristow, Dave Miller is your man, (Flight Operations Director, Europe). He also has a list of 200 wanabes in his filing cabinet.

bondu:*

jbrereton
5th Jun 2005, 20:20
I have not got a short memory, thought the pay was excellent but knew due to the huge increase pensions would suffer in the long run.

Also saw redundancies coming.

Have been able to look from the outside with some contact on the inside.

When I first started at BOND there were alot of pilots and time off. This has now stopped and everybody is working there backsides off. Tiredness sets in and people get to niggle over everything. I know I saw it from both sides.

Hope to get back sometime soon and complain with you.

Bondu you need a holiday you are too uptight.

JB

Camp Freddie
5th Jun 2005, 22:30
I fly for one of these north sea companies, although in england not aberdeen and do not consider that I am "treated like crap".

also when I look at my pay check each month I think we are one of the few helicopter jobs that is paid properly, I consider that it is many of the onshore salaries that are unrealistically low, having come from that enviroment

I only work just over 1/2 the days in a year, get TWICE as much as I was earning onshore and am finished by lunchtime on an early and typcally dont start till 4pm on a late shift and finish mid evening.

if its so crap why do so many onshore guys want to do it ?

as for contacts I am pretty sure at the moment its

Bristow= paul quick
CHC=peter bakke
bond=malcolm paine

regards

CF

TheFlyingSquirrel
5th Jun 2005, 22:54
I'm glad to hear that all and I retract my statement. This is the danger of pprune - if you go back and look at what the North Sea guys have to say over previous posts, it generally holds a negative hue. I'm glad you're not treated like crap and more like the professional, respectable pilots that you are. I am certainly not jealous and did not want you to think that I was implying that in any capacity. Good luck to all of you.

TFS

332mistress
5th Jun 2005, 23:07
At the moment the N Sea is going through a confused period.

Contracts are changing companies.

Pilots are being made vol redundant then hired back as contractors.

Pilot over manning one day is recruitment drive the next. The oil companies are screaming for aircraft and crews which aren't there so it is chaos.

In amongst all this the helicopter companies think that they can drive down costs (salaries) when there is an obvious shortage of experienced pilots. This is now and doesn't take account of the 20 odd new pilot posts that are going to be created by bp's SAR JIGSAW project due to start 4Q 2005 or 1Q 2006.

Now is the time for salaries to be increased. CHC pilots are working on this and we should support them - even those in Bond;) .

Contract day rates have increased by 28% because of the shortage so money is available. (Don’t forget the oil company profits at the moment are very high)

For pilots wanting to join the companies don't be put off by the famous quote used by all recruiters “I have 200 CVs in my drawer" The last time we had a requirement for pilots the 200 CVs vaporized as most of the pilots had jobs already.

The names you have seen in the posts are accurate as far as I know but a quick phone call would give you the right answer.

Remember not to sell your self short if you are experienced with an IR as there is a shortage at the moment.

Good luck to you all but remember that N Sea flying is very boring, with 2 hr legs flown by the autopilot while you gaze at the grey N Sea.

332M

Brilliant Stuff
6th Jun 2005, 10:02
332mistress,
you described our current situation accurately.

Though may I add that we down south have a bit more exciting flying life.

We do something like 4 landings an hour depending which base you get to.
And we get a high quality of life thrown in as well.

jbrereton
6th Jun 2005, 14:55
Yes they should never have given you guys equal pay as you do not have to live in Grey old Aberdeen.

GFAB

ThomasTheTankEngine
6th Jun 2005, 17:36
I have 4000 hours onshore experiance. No IR. ATPL Theory Credits.

What are the chances of me geting work offshore (Northsea)

and

What would the pay be like for someone with my experiance?

Would I have to pay for my own IR now?

or

Do the offshore operators still pay and simply bond you?

jbrereton
6th Jun 2005, 18:06
You would need to ask the 3 Helicopter Companies that question. Do you have twin time?

If so, you could not go wrong with an IR rating.

But please write to Bond, Bristow and CHC-Scotia they are very friendly.

Jon

nicksmalley
6th Jun 2005, 20:25
Hello all,

I hope you don't mind if I digress slightly. I realise that there are several people writing on this thread who currently work the north sea so I just want to pick their brains.

I haven't flown heli's before, just a RAF flying schol. I know I want to fly for a living and I am very much attracted to flying helicopters rather than fixed wing. I wrote to the 3 companies in Aberdeen and like all who write in the aviation business, didn't get any response. I made a followed up telephone call to each, two were unavailable to chat and the other hadn't even heard of my name. Hence I'm writing to you.

In a nutshell, I'd love to hear your opinions on the following:

1) Financing my training? Where's a good place (ie bank) to lay your hands on the cash? Any sponsorship schemes whatsoever to ease the financial burden at the mo?

2) Within the heli community, what are deemed as the 'good jobs'? I know its horses for courses, but a few opinions would be interesting.

3) Best flying schools? Are there any schools which are preferred or have a good reputation?

4) Any general advice on entering the industry right now?

When listening to pilots on this site, there's often an awful lot of cynicism. I don't want to be moaned at, in my opinion, even a bad job in the air is ten times better than a good job at a desk. Please right back with balanced replies rather than just a whinge. Plus feel free to tell me all the good stuff too!

Cheers all, and once again good luck erchie, he did start this thread and all!

Nick

bondu
6th Jun 2005, 20:53
Hi jb: you're quite right. I do need a holiday!!!

I've also worked onshore and seen the business from both sides. The salaries for the onshore guys (EMS and Police) are woeful - that's the reason I left an EMS job I really loved and returned to the North Sea. I did say that as North Sea pilots, we received the best salaries around.

I don't know where Camp Freddie works, but in Aberdeen most pilots are working, on average, 215 days a year. Early starts: 0645 take off (0545 report), but could still be flying at 1900, if on standby and called in late, still on 'earlies'. Lates could mean anything from 1000 to 1900 take off. Yes, there are many who would give their granny away for a job up here in 'grey old Aberdeen' (thanks jb!), even with the rubber bags, (maybe because of the rubber bags!!), the bad weather, poor scheduling etc. But the money is good. As i said in my previous post, it all depends on your point of view. What do you want out of your life in the commercial helicopter world? Money? Or job satisfaction? Both?

As for contacts at Bristow:
Dave Miller is Flight Operations Director, Europe, based in Aberdeen.
Paul Quick is Chief Training Captain, based in Aberdeen.

Thomas the Tank Engine; drop a line to either Dave Miller or Paul Quick at Bristow. There is still a shortage of co-pilots at the moment. Not sure how long it will last though, as 332 Mistress said, its a very confusing situation at the moment.

Its not all bad up here; its June 6th and we have a ground frost warning for tonight! :ok:

Hummingfrog
6th Jun 2005, 21:08
nicksmalley

There have been many questions like this and a search of PPrune would give you alot of info.

There are one or two cardinal points you have to consider first.

1. Are you medically fit and capable of holding a CAA class one medical. If not, do not pass Go, as no medical no job.

2. Are you reasonably co-ordinated with the ability to do routine tasks while thinking ahead. Anybody can be taught to fly but it is "operating" the aircraft that some people who have come to the N Sea have been chopped on. The process of flying the a/c has taken up all their brain power and nothing has been left to operate the a/c - flight plan, load plan, weather factors etc.

HF

nicksmalley
7th Jun 2005, 08:50
Hummingfrog,

In response:

1) I know about the other posts but this thread is being read by pilots working the North Sea so I want them to see it.

2) I hold a CAA Class 1 Medical

3) I haven't given a Puma a go yet so I can't really answer your last point. But I'm switched on, gained a Masters in Aeronautical Engineering and excelled in my Flying Scholarship so in my humble opinion, yes I do have the potential ability to "operate" the aircraft.

Didn't really answer any of my points so please let this topic continue.

Thanks

Nick

Hummingfrog
7th Jun 2005, 15:11
Nick

Good to hear you have the the medical and the ability (though out of 16 uni graduates on my RAF entry 8 were chopped!!!)

To answer your particular questions in order:-

1. Finance. I know of no particular bank who lends money without something in the way of security for their money - house etc. No sponsorships are on offer at the moment as there seems to be a supply of wannabees who have funded themselves.

2. Good Jobs. Very difficult to answer as pilots put different requirements at the top of their lists. Here are some advantages and disadvantages.

N Sea Aberdeen -- Salary best: Lifestyle OK most nights at home: Early starts 0600 in at work. Flying - boring mostly on autopilot over the sea. Command by seniority

N. Sea offshore based --Salary best: Lifestyle OK but 15 days out of 28 at work and away from home - compensated by equal time off and leave. Although Bond, rumour has it, will only be giving 2 weeks leave to their Jigsaw crews: Flying lots of hands on while shuttling on average of 3hrs/day (very variable). Bond Jigsaw may be very boring as it seems all they will do is train as the chance of an actual SAROP is about 0.001%

Southern N Sea/Liverpool Bay. -- Salary and Lifestyle as N Sea Aberdeen: Flying a little more hands on as it includes short sectors and shuttling. Command by seniority

Police/HEMS/SAR. Salary not as good as N Sea: Lifestyle good as home every night with, depending on company, a good roster: Flying probably the most enjoyable and demanding as Police/HEMS is single pilot so not open to inexperienced.

Corporate. Salary probably similar to Police etc: Lifestyle very varied depending on company. Some require detachments away in the summer. At beck and call of client but you may go to some interesting places. Flying. Demanding in some jobs as you may be operating off the back of a boat or into London. Again not for the inexperienced.

I only have personal experience of the RAF and N/Southern N Sea so others may give you a more accurate picture of the others.

3. Flying schools - the best I know is the RAF:ok:

4. If you don't have a CPL(IR), then at the moment the offshore companies are not interested. This may change as recruitment is very fluid. I visited a company in 1990 with an ATPL and was offered a job on the Puma starting the next day!!. 12 months later I would not have been able to get a job with any offshore company as they were full.

HF

nicksmalley
7th Jun 2005, 18:09
Hummingfrog,

Excellent information. Thanks very much for taking the time to post it. Just what I was looking for.

Nick

nicksmalley
17th Jun 2005, 19:22
I'm just the wannabe so take my word with a spade of salt...

but when I spoke to CHC the other week, I was told that a type rating on the Puma would be required. Only if the company failed to get enough of a response from people with the type rating, would others be called for interview.

I'm guessing a phone call to them would probably be the best option for someone with your significant experience.

Thanks

Nick

(currently mulling over the cost of training :ugh: )

bondu
17th Jun 2005, 21:57
Heard today that CHC Scotia NEED(!) 12 co-pilots immediately!! I'm assuming CPL (IR) will be the minimum. As for type ratings, how many non North Sea pilots have 332L/L2 on their licences??
Give them a call. :ok:

bondu:ok:

Wizzard
18th Jun 2005, 10:57
The requirement for a Puma rating is based purely on cost: that is, the cost that any company has to lay out to get you on line. The priorities would be something like:

1. Puma rated, offshore experience

2. Twin time + IR

3. SE + IR

4. Twin time

5. SE only

Believe it or not there are some Puma rated guys (and gals!) out there who wish to return to the North Sea - the working conditions now compare much more favourably with the fixed wing world than 4-5 years ago.

A note of caution though. No matter how much experience you bring to the North Sea, DON'T expect a command slot within the first 5,6 or even more years: there are a lot of very senior co-pilots waiting for command slots and they should take up any movement in that direction for some time.

Good luck to any wannabies, you could do a lot worse than the North Sea.:ok:

Wiz

RPM100
11th Jul 2005, 16:25
Any info on the business situation in the north Sea would be greatly appreciated.Who's Hiring for Pilots?What is the outlook?I am European and I Have been working in the Gulf of Mexico for the last 10 years, thinking about getting my licences in Europe. Anyone hiring with FAA ratings?Any advices appreciated.CHEERS!

EMSslug
7th Dec 2005, 15:57
I've been working on the USA west coast as an EMS pilot for several years. As my kids get older I'm considering getting back into the offshore industry, but keeping my home in the US Pacific NW. Do any of the North Sea companies employ pilots in a routine that would allow long distance commuting? (ex RAF Sea King and Wessex, British citizen, FAA ATP, expired CAA ATPL(H)).
What kind of start pay could I expect as an experienced IFR pilot, current on Bell mediums and Agustas and the like, and a little time on S-61s in the GOM.
Thanks folks; I seem to have contacts in most places now, but have lost touch with my home area.

DeltaNg
7th Dec 2005, 17:40
I believe CHC Aberdeen operate a 7 on 7 off roster.

TeeS
7th Dec 2005, 17:57
We used to have a pilot who commuted from Oz to Shetland in days of yore (where are you now DT?), however I doubt whether you would get a roster like that these days.

[What is Peter Boor doing nowadays? - One of the best roster writers/managers I ever worked for!]

TeeS

EMSslug
7th Dec 2005, 19:00
Thanks, I expected that. I had started to look at 6/6 or 6/4 in the Middle East or Africa and I just wondered if somewhere I'd operated in the the past had something similar.
I'm not thinking out of Aberdeen, but maybe some offshore jobs or maybe something in the Faroes area. I'll probably make contact with the CHC folks up the road in Vancouver, but some local input is appreciated.

serf
7th Dec 2005, 20:16
The ABZ roster is 7/7 DAYS not weeks.

Staticdroop
8th Dec 2005, 09:52
Bristow operate out of Scatsa in the Shetlands on a 2 week on 2 week off routine. They have guys living all round europe, the West coast USA is a bit further to travel though, and i think the weather over there is a little better.

Brilliant Stuff
8th Dec 2005, 15:34
And the Offshore based AS365 works 14 days on and 14 days off.

Hummingfrog
8th Dec 2005, 18:30
BS

Sorry to be pedantic but this is what management thinks:-

"And the Offshore based AS365 works 14 days on and 14 days off."

It is actually 15 days on 13 days off and highly unlikely that there will be any vacancies in the future if at all;)

HF

Warrington_Minge
12th Dec 2005, 08:55
Firstly apologies for logging on as a new "anonymous" user - small industry - current job - etc.

Secondly, apologies if this thread has been flogged to death already (a redirection would be appreciated to save you the effort of replying).

It has long been my dream to join the guys on the North Sea, the reality of which began a few years ago with a 'foreign' CPL.

I'm now about to receive my results for the last set of ATPL(H) exams (did quite well in the first round so am confident of a pass in the final 5), and am going to repeat my initial contact with the North Sea operators to test the water.

However, before I put pen to paper, I would be grateful of your comments (as I know there are quite a number of seasoned North Sea pilots that read these threads) on the following points:

I have:
- "foreign" CPL(H)
- approx. 200 hours (R22, R44, H300, B47 and B206) + low flying, mountain and sling load endorsements
- assumed pass in all JAA ATPL(H)
- will be sitting my JAA CPL(H) test in the coming few weeks
- no money left for an IR(H)
- a "few" years working for a Heli org (flight ops + ususal "everything" of a smaller organisation)
- various other life skills that I can bring to the party

Questions:
- Is it a dumb move to contact all the North Sea operators at the same time, or just concentrate on 1 (I would guess that the small world grapevine is alive and well in Scotland and I don't want to appear desperate)
- Is there any substance to the rumour that "decent" new pilots (by that I mean the right character, not the right experience) are in short supply ?
- Do I really need to go to the expense (debt) of obtaining my IR before job hunting (don't know if the wife'll swallow that kind of debt - no jokes please) ?
- Do I stand a chance with only approx. 200 hours ?
- Are there any tips for interview technique ?
- Does a personal visit to back up the CV help, or just frustrate the Chief Pilots who "get hassled all the time" !?

I feel I bring the necessary bare basic skills required for the role and would relish the opportunity to learn from the experienced guys in the seat next to me, however, we all think we're wonderful and ideally suited and therefore an objective view would be of benefit.

Thank you in advance for responding - I look forward to flying with some of you in the future (all except ChopperPilot2006 - by the sounds of his North Sea thread the odd dork slips though the application process - bad luck CHC).

"Warrington"

Horny Frog
13th Dec 2005, 17:38
First of all, good luck for the written exams as we all know how much of a pain it can be to do and especially the amount involved!! You certainly are doing the right thing with obtaining your frozen ATPL (H)

Secondly, with all due respect - how old are you? The reason i ask is because as you know it can affect acceptance through experience etc..

Thirdly, the instrument rating is and has always been the "golden key" to get into the right door (most of the time)
I.e if they only need a few pilots then they will tend to take on guys with an IR. This is because they know that they can find a few pilots with one. Unfortunately its down to money saving for company's these days as you probably already know! But then again, if they are screaming for pilots & can't get enough, they will pay the course!

With no IR, yours chances will (yet again) come down to whether or not they need pilots at the time! i.e if the industry is booming, with more contracts won - hence more workforce. You could then have good chances of being accepted (whether or not you have IR) & therefore put through the course (all expenses paid - with a bond at the end (normally 3 years once multi-engine upgrade is accomplished & up to 6 years depending on what company & circumstances)

However, since its not a perfect world, most of the time the north sea operators tend to prefer you to have/obtain an IR before applying!!

I believe you should apply to all companys (bristow, bond & CHC) as it will increase your chances - nothing to lose! & no you won't look desperate as many people do just that!

A lot of pilots usually go under the "instructor route" to gain experience & most importantly hours building before applying for a job as they tend to have more chance.

I also believe you should go up to all 3 bases in aberdeen with your CV etc and show your keen interest etc etc. At least then you have a greater chance of having your CV towards the top of the already huge waiting list!!

Don't worry too much about low hours. Again, its down to whether or not they need pilots. My advice to you is to tell them exactly what you have & what you wish to accomplish

I hope this helps so far, & if you want more info or to get in contact PM me

All the best
:ok:

offtrack
13th Dec 2005, 19:31
CHC recently hired two pilots with aprox 200 hrs each. They were among the 4 out of 30 to make it trough the screening process, good work! Instrument rating is more important than hrs.

212man
14th Dec 2005, 05:10
I know BHL recently (summer ish) hired two young low hours co-pilots for the S-61. I think they had self paid IRs.

btw WM; what a lovely image to conjure with! especially after a hard night at Mr Smiths;)

Warrington_Minge
14th Dec 2005, 09:09
Thank you all for your replies.

Horny Frog - great reply, dodgy name - thanks.
I am early 30's, so like to think I'm still young enough to be considered but old enough to show maturity and a level head.
I shall certainly follow your advice and visit all 3 - I may end up down the instructor route although the limited finances for an IR also limit the instructor route for the time being - more desk flying !

Offtrack - Encouraging news - lets hope I am of the right calibre to make it through selection also.

212Man - Again, ditto - I aim to please !!

I just can't wait for the ATPL(H) results as this has been "several" years of hard work to reach this stage and I feel so close.

Wish me luck for the exams and thanks again for all the advice.

PS - Any useful interview techniques, or DO's and DONT's would be gratefully received.

Brilliant Stuff
14th Dec 2005, 12:18
Everything has been said. All I can offer is very good luck to you and if it is meant for you you will get it.

I wish you al the very best for your dreams to come true.

Jordan3054
14th Dec 2005, 19:42
Yes i wish you the best of luck too. Do let us know how you get on and hope it all works out for you

rotorrookie
15th Dec 2005, 09:02
CHC recently hired two pilots with aprox 200 hrs each. So why is then the 500 or 1000hrs minimal in the ad's?? just so they won't get as many CV's on their desk or what?

peachpilot
15th Dec 2005, 09:57
It's called keeping it in the family.....

Ullevi
17th Dec 2005, 13:49
CHC recently hired two pilots with aprox 200 hrs each. They were among the 4 out of 30 to make it trough the screening process, good work! Instrument rating is more important than hrs.

Does that mean there were 30 suitable applicants for the 4 positions? Or were there more positions available but not enough adequate applicants?

Pull2theDroop
17th Dec 2005, 14:15
Hi WM

Check your personal messages.

DMackie
21st Jan 2006, 17:01
Reading the local rag this afternoon and i see an interview with a 21 year old who is a helicopter pilot. I was just wondering if he was a pilot for one one of the three Aberdeen companies?

Do the Aberdeen operators take on pilots this young? Are they running cadet schemes or is it self-sponsored?

Thanks for any help.

MD900 Explorer
21st Jan 2006, 17:33
Be careful, he is short and will bite your ankles...:E

MD :{

Bond is the name....James Pond :cool:

TiPwEiGhT
21st Jan 2006, 17:44
I know several guys in there early 20's who fly North Sea, some them trained at the same time as me. All of them appear to be doing great and enoying it! Unfortunately there are no sponsership schemes running at the mo!

The guys I trained with worked very hard to get where they are now and certainly Daddy didn't pay for their training, they got there through determination, willingness to work... and bankloans!

Good on him!

TiP:ok:

Jesters
21st Jan 2006, 19:52
I know a couple of low 20yr olds who trained with my other half and are now working on the North Sea from Aberdeen. Both went modular, got picked up following training and taken through their type rating and IR by their new employers.

Now paying for the loans (ouch!).:eek:

J

DMackie
21st Jan 2006, 21:12
Thanks guys. Interesting to know. Im still within the age limits for the military so will be going down that route at the moment. However, I would prefer to go straight into a N Sea job, but cant realistically self sponsor myself.

Are there any rumblings in the companies of sposnsorship oppurtunities starting up? I've searched and found Bristows used to have a cadet scheme but guess that doesnt exist anymore.

Also been reading in the paper that 2006 and 2007 are going to be bumper years for offshore drilling in the N sea- so you never know sposnorships might appear soon! :ok:

Although, with the N sea, it could also go all Pete Tong...

NickLappos
22nd Jan 2006, 11:17
I turned 21 in Vietnam, and already had 500 hours. The average age of a pilot in my Cav Troop was 21, the 27 year old senior warrant officer was known as "Gramps." I was a Test Pilot at Sikorsky at 25.
It is ability and judgement that makes the pilot.

unhappyhamster
22nd Jan 2006, 11:37
Yes - but dear Nicholas - how many of us could expect an amazing existence like yours ?

:) where's our book ???????:confused:

MK10
22nd Jan 2006, 18:55
thank goodness we,re not all as unassuming as NICK

NRDK
22nd Jan 2006, 19:46
MK10

Post edited. Thanks.

Hippolite
22nd Jan 2006, 19:54
Mk 10

You should be ashamed of yourself. Way out of order I'm afraid. We can have whatever views we like but I hope that we don't have to insult each other personally.

MK10
22nd Jan 2006, 19:57
post edited to a more casual observation
mk10

Hippolite
22nd Jan 2006, 20:52
Thanks Mk 10. I appreciate you doing that.

HH

SASless
22nd Jan 2006, 21:43
Nick,

I was a Chinook Aircraft Commander in Vietnam at 20.5 years of age also with just over 500 hours....Fort Rucker Instructor Pilot at 21....got out of the Army at 22.3 years of age

Nick, as you rightly state....having ability is the key when given an opportunity. We owe it to our young ones coming up to provide them with those opportunities as best we can. I benefitted from seniors who elected to mentor a young guy who was willing to learn.

I have tried to do the same as well.

MK10,

Here is the Gulfstream Press Release that was issued announcing Nick's hiring by that firm.

Nick may be outspoken, but he really is unassuming. (....at least by US Army Air Cav Cobra pilot standards anyway!)

NICHOLAS (NICK) D. LAPPOS JOINS GULFSTREAM AS VICE PRESIDENT, GOVERNMENT PROGRAMS

Robert Baugniet
Corporate
Communications
(912) 965-7372

SAVANNAH, Ga., March 14, 2005 - Gulfstream Aerospace, a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), has hired Nicholas (Nick) D. Lappos as vice president, government programs. In this new role, Lappos will be responsible for all business-jet aircraft programs for government and military use - from the bid and proposal phase through the delivery and post-delivery activities. He will be based at Gulfstream's Savannah, Ga., major manufacturing facility.

Prior to joining Gulfstream, Lappos was a 32-year employee with Sikorsky Aircraft. Most recently, he served as director of the VXX presidential helicopter program. Previously, he was program manager for the S-92 helicopter and director of test engineering for the company's West Palm Beach, Fla., fight-test center. Spending most of his career in research and development, Lappos served as both a test pilot and the chief pilot for R&D. He was also a flight instructor for various Sikorsky model helicopters and has helped train the flight crews of several heads of state, including that of the President of the United States.

"Nick's background, especially his R&D and program management experience, makes him ideal for this position," said Pres Henne, senior vice president, programs, engineering and test, Gulfstream. "We look forward to Nick joining the organization and helping Gulfstream continue to advance in the government programs area."

Buddy Sams, Gulfstream senior vice president, government programs and sales, said, "Government and special mission aircraft have accounted for 10 to 15 percent of Gulfstream's annual production. The addition of Nick to our team will ensure our continuing focus on this important market sector."

A recognized leader in the aerospace industry and author of numerous technical papers and articles, Lappos has been awarded the Frederick L. Feinberg Award by the American Helicopter Society (AHS) for most outstanding achievement as a pilot three separate times - once for his individual effort and two times for team efforts. The AHS also appointed Lappos a Fellow in 1994 for outstanding achievement in the vertical flight industry. A member of the Society of Experimental Test Pilots, he won the Ray E. Tenhoff Award for the most outstanding presentation to the association's annual symposium.

Lappos earned a bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology. A helicopter pilot in the U.S. Army, he logged 900 combat flying hours in Vietnam and was awarded the Bronze Star. Lappos also holds helicopter and a fixed-wing pilot certificates with both instrument and instructor ratings. He has more than 7,000 flight hours of experience in more than 75 different types of aircraft.

NickLappos
22nd Jan 2006, 21:56
MK10,

Take my post any way you wish, I was simply supporting the idea that a sharp 21 year old could be ready for the North Sea. Former President George Bush (the real Bush) was a Navy pilot at 19 years old, flying from Carriers in the Pacific in WWII. I was not unique in my age group, SASless and perhaps 5,000 others were similarly young and also given large responsibilities in Vietnam.

It is the skill of the pilot, not his/her age that we should measure.

Sorry that you took the post backwards.

PS I am glad that I saw your post after you had edited it.

BigMike
22nd Jan 2006, 23:53
Worked with an 18 year old pilot when I started my first flying job. Nothing wrong with his piloting skills. Needed some training when it came to drinking and woman, but we soon had him up to speed. Ended up having a lot of success with "Blondes and Beer" and these days fly's charter and media part time on the Gold Coast.

Lunar
23rd Jan 2006, 09:24
I joined the Army at 17, I am sure there are many who read this who have similar starts to their working career, first FEBA service at 20, I was young but everyone I worked with was young.

I have worked with some very young pilots but I believe age is not the best way to define someone, if they can do the job age doesn't matter to me, neither does sex or sexual orientation, colour or belief (as long as they don't try to convert me on a long sector!)

I just wish I had started flying while I was as young.

Lunar

bayou06
8th Mar 2006, 15:11
What is the starting pay flying over the North Sea? I understand Bristow has several contracts flying in support of the Oil & Gas industry there. What is the pay like for an offshore pilot in England? I am considering my options over there. Do the operators there all require CAA/JAA or will they accept FAA ATP? Appreciate your input.

mongoose237
8th Mar 2006, 15:14
Yes you will have to have the relevant JAA paperwork, without exception. That includes a JAA IR.

Expect somewhere in the £30's for a co pilot.

HeliComparator
8th Mar 2006, 19:05
Yes, as bayou says you will certainly need a JAA licence. Just bear in mind that most of the N Sea jobs are not in England, they are in Scotland. Getting this wrong may go down as well as accusing someone from Canada of being from the USA or vice versa!

romeogulf
28th Mar 2006, 19:09
Hope you all don't get tired of questions like this one..:) but what are the current chances to get a co-pilot job flying on the north sea for somebody with about 450 hrs tt that is willing to pay himself for the IR if that's necesarry.

The reason for this question is that I am at the point of deciding IF I am going to take out an extra loan to cover the (very expensive, as you all know) IR

I did read a lot through previous post about this mather but most of them are fairly old and might not correspond with the situation at the moment.

I appreciate all responses,

Romeogulf

mongoose237
28th Mar 2006, 19:33
All 3 in the UK have been fishing through CVs in the last few months... and on the otherside of the NS there are opportunities if you speak a Scandinavian language.

However, if you do your IR and they aren't hiring anyone for a while, what will you do? A few positioning flights?

If you get an FI at least you can always earn some cash that way, and keep yourself current. Maybe build up to 1,000 hours so the NS operators take a little more notice, and during that time save for an IR?

Just a thought, because with 450 hours an IR is a gamble which may (hopefully) pay off, or may leave you high and dry.... unless of course you already have the FI

romeogulf
28th Mar 2006, 20:08
I really appreciate the quick response mongoose237!:ok:

I did instruct for 6 months in the US and I enjoyed it very much. After my return to Europe I considered the possibilities of instructing in the UK or somewhere else in Europe. I can only spend my money once so it's going to be a difficult decision between the IR and the FI. Guess the 'safest' option is to go the FI route (cheaper aswell) But on the other hand an offshore company might just be hiring and look at me as being worth giving a chance because of the IR. In the 'fixedwing world' company's work with seniority, is this the same with the offshore market?

Romeogulf

mongoose237
28th Mar 2006, 20:27
Contact the Head of Operations at the 'big 3' and find out:
CHC Scotia
Bond Helicopters
Bristows

Offshore will still be there in a year, and you are only 21 so have time on your side. More air experience plus an unrestricted FI can be a bonus, particularly if you fancy eventually becoming a "company man" offshore (training captain etc)

Will you have a way of staying in the industry if you get the IR but no offshore job for a while? If not, that has to be put into the equation as although we don't like to think like that, it could happen.

To answer your other question, the three companies are very different

TheFlyingSquirrel
28th Mar 2006, 23:53
co-jocks at Bond start on 40k+ at the moment.

Bravo73
29th Mar 2006, 06:47
co-jocks at Bond start on 40k+ at the moment.

No, they don't. Not the 'bonded' ones anyway...

Overt Auk
29th Mar 2006, 07:54
Maybe not much help to romeogulf, but this does seem to be a boom year for hiring in the North Sea.

Anecdotally Bond, who a couple of years ago poached a bunch of SFOs from Scotia to set up their operation are crying foul as Scotia are poaching their SFOs to fast track as commanders.

Bristow are hiring, but only those with IRs as their IR instruction team is required to fly the line!

Timing is everything in this industry so if you think you may fit someone's criteria for hiring, don't delay. Get your CV in with your best (realistic) offer of where you are now and where you could be in 3 months time if given a firm offer.

But before you sign on the dotted line please, please, please talk to BALPA and check what you are being offered. Over the last few years there have been some very dodgy contracts signed and people have found themselves without pension, insurance or proper recognition of what they have brought to the company. If they are not prepared to delay by 24 hours while you study the small print then they are trying to hide something and that something could screw you up for years to come.

O.A.

The_Sheriff
30th Mar 2006, 04:57
I have just over a thousand hours and an unrestricted FI, the problem for me is getting the money to pay for an IR. I have an FAA IR so get some discount on the training.
Does anyone have contact names for these people at the 3 big en's.
Do my hours count toward anything or is the IR the most important issue?

Thanks guys!
:ok:

callie dog
30th Mar 2006, 08:02
I am interested in this Thread, I am one of the people who passed the aptitude / interview stage for CHC last year, letter arrived day after interview 'We will contact you for your sim ride soon,' nearly 6 months later no sim ride, no date offered and no information coming out of CHC HR. It is an obvious conclusion that the longer they hold off with the non IR candidates the more chance there is that IR jocks will come forward to fill the places.

Or am I just paranoid!!

Oil prices up, exploration of other oil fields up, pilots req'd up (hopefully)

:confused:

i4iq
30th Mar 2006, 08:15
The_sheriff

I think you may be referred to http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216744

(Although I'd like to hear what some might have to say directly...)

The_Sheriff
30th Mar 2006, 13:52
i4iq,

Why would I want that thread?

i4iq
31st Mar 2006, 00:26
...it's got info about conversion and links to a couple of documents you might find useful in finding the answers to your questions...

northseawannabe-not
31st Mar 2006, 19:03
Payne by name , Pain by nature. I certainly wouldn't touch Bond with a Barge pole if I was you. All they do is the minimum they have to to stop their pilots from leaving. Their latest scam is they have promised to match CHC's equal time roster. They have only said this as they can't afford to lose any pilots. You can gaurantee that as soon as CHC aren't hiring they will use there favourite line "if you don't like it you know what to do"(leave).
If you want to start on the North Sea avoid them like the plague Bristow and CHC are way superior employers. They both recognise BALPA.
They won't admit it as they are now stuck but if you get a chance to talk to any X-Bristow/CHC pilots who left to get quick commands you can be sure they wish they hadn't.
I hope this is of some use in steering you in the right direction, unless you have already started with Bond in which case you have my sympathy.
I don't work on the North Sea anymore as I have found a rich mug who will pay me more for less work but I do keep in touch with what is going on and I'm pretty sure my info is spot on. Good luck :ok:

freeride
31st Mar 2006, 21:52
They won't admit it as they are now stuck but if you get a chance to talk to any X-Bristow/CHC pilots who left to get quick commands you can be sure they wish they hadn't.

Why are they stuck if CHC/Bristows are short? Surely not just for the bond if they even have one.

northseawannabe-not
31st Mar 2006, 22:35
If the Bond pilots leave to Bristow/CHC they are on a much better deal. The thing that makes them stay(captured) is if they join either of the premier operators it is on a last in first out basis. Oil prices and N.Sea business can't stay at the ludicrously high prices they are currently. When the inevitable cyclical downturn happens they may:confused: be out of a job(only my reckoning, a crystal ball would be nice). It is my opinion that the Bond pilots being too spineless to even stand up and get BALPA recognised certainly would be too scared to jump ship with the chance(even though it is very slight) of being out of a job.
The N.Sea is as bouyant as it has been in my 15yrs of following it , but I don't blame the low hr co-jos(i was the same would jump at any offer of work), but surely if the skippers grew some balls they could demand BALPA to be recognised.
I won't rant on anymore as i worked happily for Bond for 4 yrs. in the past but they at least used lubrication back then.
All it takes is you guys to stick together as you are in such a strong position, force them to accept BALPA and watch your life improve beyond belief.
I may be a bit biased as i didn't leave under perfect circumstances (took them to court, and won), but i would love to see them paying and giving the same roster as the other companies.I've heard they are upping the salary but if you look how much the pilots work in comparison you are working for 25% less than the other operators.
I would almost like to come back just to be remembered as the person who stopped Bond's explotation and introduced BALPA. I won't as I am making too much money where I am but I really hope you guys grow some balls as you only have the next yr or 2 to force them to give you a roster/pension/pay deal.
It only takes a 75% majority and they have no choice (but maybe you all like it up the ass)

Just Waiting
5th Apr 2006, 09:36
Do northsea companies ever pay for IR's?? if they do how long are you bonded for,do you get paid less as well? guess im trying to figure out if its better to pay for your own IR or not??

JW.

JKnife
5th Apr 2006, 14:23
Interesting comments by "northseawannabe-not". Rumour has it that some of the SAR Commanders for Bond's "Jigsaw" operation have tended their resignations as they aren't happy with the way the operation is being run by the management. However, some of them may have withdrawn them as there was evidently a change to their "terms and conditions"!

One wonders why experienced pilots such as these are wanting to leave this operation which has only really just started, especially if (as rumoured) they haven't got another job to go to?