PDA

View Full Version : SAA to announce changes in Management .. some a laugh me thinks ..

Gunship
12th Dec 2005, 08:38
A laugh a minute .......... :D

By: Chimwemwe Mwanza

Montreal - South African Airways (SAA) CE Khaya Ncqula is this week expected to announce changes to the airlines management structure that will also see the creation of an executive position to specifically address the national carrier's challenges in the lead up to the 2010 soccer world cup games.

SAA's decision to create and appoint an executive manager in charge of the 2010 games, follows that of the national treasury department which recently added a 2010 deputy director general (DDG) to its portfolio.

Ncqula says that he also expects to fill the vice president communications and government liaison left vacant in October by Onkopotse JJ Tabane's departure.

Tabane has since been appointed CE of Graphicor, an advertising subsidiary of the Adcorp group of companies.

SAA has recently been hit by a spate of high profile suspensions and dismissals.

Former chief risk officer Kryl Acton served at the airline for just less than seven months before he was given the boot.

GM human resources, Nolwazi Qata initially suspended for allegedly misrepresenting the airline's position in its wage negotiations with the unions was last month shown the door, a decision to which she has appealed to the CCMA.

GM marketing and sales Nonhlanhla Koza is currently serving a suspension for alleged tender irregularities.

Koza is said to have failed to declare her interest in a tender consideration process that saw a company owned by her brother land a multi-million rand contract with the SA national carrier.

Ncqula says that he has been forced to act tough against his subordinates because malpractices levelled against subordinates were some of the legacy issues that have continued to dodge the airline.

"An impression has been created in the general public that I have since my appointment been on mission to purge staff that served under the previous management; there is no such a thing, I have given everybody who shares in my vision to return the airline to stability a chance to prove themselves, some have fallen along the wayside while others are still with me."

Ncqula attributes SAA's recently reported R200m operating loss to a strike action earlier in the year by ground staff and cabin crew.

"I regret that things got to that level but collective responsibility would have entailed management to present a collective negotiated position to unions and not to have dissenting views that badly exposed management to the unions."

Ncqula admits that the low cost carriers were proving a serious threat to the national carrier's domestic market share.

"We have reached a stage where we can not ignore the no frills carriers anymore, management is soon expected to announce a host of measures to help the airline to regain its lost market share; the problem we have on the domestic front is not related to quality of service, its about price, no frills carriers effectively marketed their product offering using "price" attraction.

LINK (http://www.fin24.co.za/articles/companies/display_article.asp?Nav=ns&lvl2=comp&ArticleID=1518-24_1849194)

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Dec 2005, 08:42
Mmmm.... :suspect:

More spurious taxpayer funded jobs-for-the-boys.:hmm:

Gunship
12th Dec 2005, 08:48
So they create a job for a guy for 4 years in advance ...

Wonder how many staff under him.

Main problem will be of course : will they be a main sponsor ?

Maybe BA will sponsor Banana ABanana ? :E

MysticFlyer
12th Dec 2005, 16:20
Does this mean the "heli flight's" is also ending, cause it's been proved to be a good waste of jet fuel....

unless your'e log'in in mountainous terrain.....!!!!! Always found navigating through or around the Houd-kopje is, and remains a difficult task....

BAKELA
12th Dec 2005, 18:17
MF, now what the hell has your post to do with SAA's low cost dreams (except their CEO flying low cost at our cost (choppers or Airlink's ERJ135's to MQP to attend party in AAM) but he's not part of the problem or is he?)...never mind scheduled airline operations? Maybe your problem is only MODERATE...don't know.

MysticFlyer
13th Dec 2005, 06:52
I obviously bring out the best in you, BAKELA.

Keep on singing. :ok:

MF
Ps. Fears of LCC on the one side, saving pennies, spending pounds....bringing in one's own cavalry along has also been seen before at Spoories.....in all moderation.

Gunship
13th Dec 2005, 08:25
Ncqula admits that the low cost carriers were proving a serious threat to the national carrier's domestic market share.

Mister Ncqula ... the threat is from inside not the outsiders.

Get your basics in order (i.e. cut jobs - last in - last out) and see how much you save !

Why can BA - Comair be cheaper than Nationwide / SAA / Kulula / 1 Time / Last time etc .... ?

They have people behind them with DF :E

Goldfish Jack
13th Dec 2005, 20:33
Never mind the DF - if they dont make money they dont survive - rather simple philosophy!!!

They can"t run to the tax payer and ask for more money.

I always thought SAA was a low cost airline - all you had to do was use your Voyager miles that you get everywhere else and you travel for free with SAA???? DF or what !!!!!!!!!!