PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Ag rating

WLM
25th Apr 2005, 06:34
Hi
Where can you get an Ag rating in Oz, preferably with an R44 raven?
Tks ;)

catseye
25th Apr 2005, 08:24
a quick troll through the AOC section of CASA's web site will give you the info. Not sure if anyone is using an R44 for ag training.

The eye

Texdoc
25th Apr 2005, 09:16
www.airwork.com.au/

Probably not in a 44 but....

Helibloke
25th Apr 2005, 09:55
Give Bob McKenzie a call, he trades as Overfly Helicopters. He will train you in a B47. I dont know of anyone who would have a R44 for spray training.

WLM
25th Apr 2005, 14:59
Thanks for the replies. I'll contact Bob as I did my Sling endorsement with him back in 02 and liked his way of training. The B47 will be nice to fly again eh eh
WLM :hmm:

knocked
12th Dec 2005, 07:42
Does anyone know Who in Australia does Helicopter Ag Ratings and what hours are involved..
Thanks

Ned-Air2Air
12th Dec 2005, 07:56
Try Lachie Onslow at Fleet Helicopters in Armidale, NSW. I think he does ag ratings, as they have an ag business and a training school.

www.fleethelicopters.com.au

Cheers

Ned

bomb
13th Dec 2005, 04:55
Knocked/Ned. Lachie stopped doing Ag sometime ago now. His training school does not do Ag ratings either sorry to say.
Not sure who does them.You could try Precision Helicopters at Coffs Harbour,ph 67821170.

Cheers

Bomb:

Ned-Air2Air
13th Dec 2005, 05:12
Bomb - Last time I was out at "Troy Dan's" place he was doing them but that was some time ago.

I know there are plenty of training ops here in Kiwiland that do them if that helps.

Cheers

Ned

huey
13th Dec 2005, 05:14
Hi Knocked,

Bob Mckensie(spelling) has Ag rating approval.He flys out of either Caloundra or Caboolture.
(07) 5491 4903.

Huey

Helibloke
13th Dec 2005, 05:37
I'll second Bob McKenzie, He trades as Overfly Helicopters and his contact is 0427973311. You cant go wrong if you train with this bloke he's been at it for years.
10 hour training course and 20 hours supervision and then you get your AG2.

knocked
13th Dec 2005, 20:18
Thanks for the replies..

Ned-Air2Air
13th Dec 2005, 20:28
Just wondering what sort of helos he has at Overfly. Cheers.

imabell
13th Dec 2005, 21:22
ned, how are you going, long time no see.

bob has a 47 and is usually based up in bundaberg. been spraying for many years.

troy dan only had a private licence, how could he do ag ratings, never having sprayed a crop to my recollection???????:ok:

maxspeed
14th Dec 2005, 05:04
think you need 200hrs helicopter time before you can obtain an ag raiting. Bruce Cowell has just got his approval tp do ag raitings, he works for Daryl Taylor down Tassie

Ned-Air2Air
14th Dec 2005, 07:14
Imabell - If you look at Lachie and Troy Dan side by side you would swear they are relatives :) :)

Hence Lachies nickname of Troy Dan :)

Ned

imabell
14th Dec 2005, 21:54
ned, hi again,

you wouldn't wish that on anyone.:{ :E

catseye
15th Dec 2005, 08:23
Hey Ned,

The girls in Armidale believe there is a big difference. Mr Tomatohead wins hands down

lexdawg
30th May 2009, 02:24
Hi does anyone know where a good place is to get an ag rating?

vortexstate
31st May 2009, 10:33
lexdawg,
What type machine are you looking at conducting the rating in?
Precision Helicopters will do it in Jetties or the Hughes 500.
Have a look at their web site Precision Helicopters - About (http://www.precisionhelicopters.com.au) or give them a call at their Coffs base on 0266529988
VS:ok:

topendtorque
4th Jun 2009, 11:06
never having sprayed a crop

Mr Tomatohead

oh well, its been a long day?????????????????????????

Ag-Rotor
11th Jul 2009, 07:38
AG Ratings in R44 aircraft can be done at Ballarat,Victoria by County Helicopters P/L:ok:

flyAS350
11th Jul 2009, 11:05
Ag ratings can be done in Orange NSW at Eagle Helicopters David Braid can do the training. He does not use the r44. If you are interested in training in the r44 try County Helicopters in Ballarat Vic and speck to Ashlie Dickson they do the ag ratings there.
The Ag rating consists of two exam one casa and the other is AAAA, you will need to conduct a 10 hour training program and then the flight test, they usually use Bob McKenzie from overfly Helicopters. if you need any other information just let me know.

Foxtrot Lima Yankee
12th Jul 2009, 01:59
County Helicopters out of Ballarat Victoria are the go for Ag ratings in R44's.:D

flyAS350
12th Jul 2009, 07:31
Thats right... But if you want to do a ag rating and you are not worried about the craft you use i would reconmend Eagle Helicopters.

SeaMac
20th May 2015, 01:53
I'll resuscitate this thread and bring it 'round and up the planet to the US. As the title indicates, is there any such thing? I've searched the FAA's website and did find that Pilot knowledge and skills are requiring a check off but I could find no reference to a rating or endorsement. Just curious does one exist and it surely seems very few schools in the US actually teach Ag for helicopters. ???

Gordy
20th May 2015, 03:00
14 CFR 137.19 explains the demonstration you need to complete. Most agricultural operations will have a Chief Pilot who has demonstrated tot he FAA in order to obtain the certificate. He is then responsible for checking you and issuing you a "pilot card" just as we do in Part 133 operations.

I do not know of any schools that teach it these days, and if they did, the sign off is useless as each operator is required to check their own pilots.

vaqueroaero
20th May 2015, 03:11
The other requirement will be the exams required by the individual state. I'm in Texas so took written exams for general regulations pertaining to pesticides, an exam for aerial application and another for an area of specialty, such as range and pastureland or field crops or something like that. I hold a commercial aerial applicator licence from Texas Department of Agriculture.
If you don't have these exams you can work under the direct supervision of the company you are working for, although most companies will require you to have them.
Many of these exams reciprocate from state to state, so you will probably only have to take them once.
I don't know of any schools that specifically teach aerial application in helicopters.

SeaMac
20th May 2015, 03:25
Thanks guys! :ok:

14 CFR 137.19 explains the demonstration you need to complete. Most agricultural operations will have a Chief Pilot who has demonstrated tot he FAA in order to obtain the certificate. He is then responsible for checking you and issuing you a "pilot card" just as we do in Part 133 operations.

I do not know of any schools that teach it these days, and if they did, the sign off is useless as each operator is required to check their own pilots.

The other requirement will be the exams required by the individual state. I'm in Texas so took written exams for general regulations pertaining to pesticides, an exam for aerial application and another for an area of specialty, such as range and pastureland or field crops or something like that. I hold a commercial aerial applicator licence from Texas Department of Agriculture.
If you don't have these exams you can work under the direct supervision of the company you are working for, although most companies will require you to have them.
Many of these exams reciprocate from state to state, so you will probably only have to take them once.
I don't know of any schools that specifically teach aerial application in helicopters.

Gordy
20th May 2015, 16:40
FWIW, do not do it in California. I had an apprentice applicator license there which requires some studying---none of which applied to aircraft.

You then have to work under a "journeyman" for two years before sitting your final exams and state checkride.

SeaMac
20th May 2015, 18:26
I won't be going to California that's for sure, I was just curious because years ago when I thought about obtaining my CPL(H) -looking back, I should have- I remember quite a few schools and some here in Florida offering Ag training and I thought there was an FAA rating for it. We do a lot or aerial spraying here but at 51 I'm not sure I have the time to gain the experience to do it professionally.