PDA

View Full Version : Best Contract to Commute/base in US for Asian Carriers

locblue
11th Dec 2005, 20:16
Hi,

I am in a bit of a pickle thinking about my future plans. I am presently flying for a major Asian Airline with 6000+ hours on widebodies. I am very interested in being based in the US i.e., LAX or SFO. I have right of abode there.

I have the following questions...

1. Which Asian carriers would you gentlemen recommend would be good for being based in the US, specifically SFO/LAX as an FO? Is commuting an option? Is Cathay DEFO the best option

2. With 2000+ hours PIC which Asian Airline would you recommend for US bases or for commuting to California? I understand the choices are amongst KAL, CAL, EVA, Asiana, Vietnam.

3. What are typical rosters when commuting? 20 days on 8 days off?

I have read most threads on this forum trying to piece a mental picture of the situation commuting/basing and am still confused/undecided somewhat.

Your input is much appreciated.

Wally Gun
12th Dec 2005, 12:20
NCA is the best.
Base SFO 14 days off per month 10k/month as an FO. Upgrade to Capt. after 3 years. I left Taiwan as a 744 Captain to take this job. The time off is what matters and this is "the" job for that purpose.

CFIT
12th Dec 2005, 13:06
Wally Gun, are you contracted with PARC or HACS? Which is the better one? Do you have to go through a looooooong training in Tokyo? Which routes do you usually fly if based out of SFO? Any difference if you are based in JFK or AMS? Thanks in advance.

Wally Gun
12th Dec 2005, 23:04
PARC
Training is 4-5 months not difficult just a box ticking exercise to get the JCAB licence. All bases the same...base to NRT and return with the occasional asian flight.

locblue
13th Dec 2005, 00:57
Sounds cushy, Wally Gun. I presume NCA is Nippon Cargo Airlines, and that they do not take Direct Entry Captains. Is the job fairly secure? How long is the contract? Are the patterns 7-8 days on 7 days off? Who should i contact? Parc?

Thanks!

Wally Gun
13th Dec 2005, 07:20
Job is secure as a job can be.
Schedule
Basically you get ten days off per month to be taken as 10 or 2 lots of 5. They nearly always add days off (blank days) to these so 10 becomes 14 and 5 about 8. Back to back is ok so 3 on 3 off (weeks) is feasible.
Parc or Hacs. Hacs seems to be for americans and parc for the rest.
No direct entry captains in the last 4 years and currently around 3 years to upgrade. This will speed up with expansion and because most of the ANA pilots on secondment will go back to ANA within 3 years.
WG

Khaosai
13th Dec 2005, 13:35
Hi wally gun,
this sort of job appeals to me but i have never flown the classic. Had a spell on the 744, can you confirm that they are getting these in the near future. Thanks and regards.

NZLeardriver
13th Dec 2005, 22:37
Can you fly for NCA based in SFO without being an american? I thought you needed the right of residence.

CFIT
14th Dec 2005, 01:17
As a non resident alien flying for a non American carrier based in the U.S, you do not need the right of residence in the U.S. This is a fact!! Many guys flying for Jalways, or NCA based in the U.S. are not Americans. So legally, there's absolutely no problem. Coming in on a crew visa, there's a time restriction (I'm not sure if it's 30 days) where you'd have to leave the U.S. within this time frame.

locblue
14th Dec 2005, 02:10
Hi Wally Gun,

I am in the process of getting in touch with parc. Thanks for your info. Can you give me some basic info on the terms....basic salary, per diem, bonuses, etc for year 1 to 3 FO, and year 1 to say 5 Capt. What is the annual leave?

Regs.

NZLeardriver
14th Dec 2005, 12:47
So you cant live at your base with your family? You need to commute?

INLAK
14th Dec 2005, 15:22
Many of the SFO and JFK based pilots are not American. Lots of SA and Aussies. Similar situation in AMS.
Lots of recruitment at the minute, but only for SFO and JFK base as AMS is in the process of changing to the new -400F's. No DEC or straight to -400 hiring.
There is no yearly pay scale, just a fixed contractual one. As mentioned it works out at about $10k/month for F/O's with PARC. Slightly less for HACS as they pay into a pension scheme.
Contrary to the advertisements, a classic type-rating or 5000hr min is not required. Most of the 2005 hiring was non-rated with wildly varying degrees of experience.

CFIT
30th Dec 2005, 08:00
I've contacted both companies (HACS and PARC), it seems that HACS is the only one that eagerly contact me back with all the information, and the application. Sent several emails to PARC but got absolutely no reply at all. The $$$$$ at PARC is certainly better as there is no pension scheme. So, what does it take to get a reply from PARC? Has there been any confirmation if the guys on the Classics will be transfer to the -400 once the phase out of the older equipments begin as this would be the most logical way of doing things. Then again, this is Japan, so I'm not sure what their logics are. Any news on the class dates for 2006? Thanks for the info.

2dotsright
3rd Jan 2006, 10:48
G'day INLAK, could you please confirm that they actually take non 747 rated pilots even though the ad asks for rated ones?? I would interested in having a crack at that job but don't have a rating. Have about 6000 IC B777, would I get a look (as an F/O of course)?? Also is this NCA that we are talking about. Don't want to be a pain but would appreciate your answer. Happy New Year

BlueEagle
3rd Jan 2006, 11:03
2dotsright,

If you have 6000 I/C (In-Command) on a B777 why on earth would you be looking for an F/Os job?:uhoh:

Yusen
11th Jan 2006, 23:09
PARC
Training is 4-5 months not difficult just a box ticking exercise to get the JCAB licence. All bases the same...base to NRT and return with the occasional asian flight.

Wally Gun, how many boxes have been ticked in your training?
Maybe a bit early to say "not difficult".
Don't forget to study on those JCAB oral questions!

19weeler
23rd Jan 2006, 07:33
Wallygun is right,
Its not too difficult. More of anexcercise in patience!