PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy Addicott RIP

Saint-Ex
11th Dec 2005, 15:32
I am very sorry to report that Dizzy Addicott, ex-Vickers test pilot and renowned airshow personality, died in a road traffic accident last night.

m5dnd
11th Dec 2005, 15:38
I was very sad to hear the news regarding Dizzie..

I knew Dizzie and was waiting for further news before posting on the forum's.

Nik.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Dec 2005, 16:03
Sorry to hear that sad news - no way for such a man to go. Try a Google search for him and you'll see some of the things he got up to. At least he led a full life.

God Bless you Dizzy..

Flying Lawyer
11th Dec 2005, 16:08
Not a good time for the airshow world.

Dizzy was a real character - always great company, with a host of interesting and usually extremely funny tales to tell from his long career.

He is probably best remembered by warbird fans for displaying 'Sally B' for many years. He taught Gary Numan to display a Harvard about 20 years ago when Gary was at the peak of his music career. They made an interesting (slightly bizarre) sight wandering around airshows together, but became very good friends.

RIP

John Farley
11th Dec 2005, 17:17
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/johnfarley/H126onground.jpg

Oh dear oh dear. A bad few days, first Ray, then a close RAE boffin friend and now Dizzie.

Dizzie and I worked together on the H126 above doing some stalling trials back in 1964. He said it was the worst thing he had ever flown as the wing drops went almost to the inverted when one wing eventually let go (to be expected when operating at an equivalent CL max of 7 - yes seven thanks to the jet flap)

He was the most wonderful bloke to work with in any circumstances because he had seen it all, done it all and had us in fits all the time with his stories of the past and present.

The best of his generation only survived what they had to do in their time because they had hands. Really good ones. Dizzies were as good as anybody's.

I bet he is cracking jokes about his final prang with some very well known names right now. Almost makes you want to join the party.

BOAC
11th Dec 2005, 18:12
Truly a man of 'many parts', including the 'mini-Dart' which he designed (an article here (http://www.minimarcos.org.uk/mmhdt.html) shamelessly linked from minimarcos.org.uk), and his involvement in trying to break the land-speed record:

"Dizzy Addicott, who had announced plans for a stab at Breedloves 407mph record in the 60's, with a very Spirit of America-like vehicle that he planned to build using a Swift fighter as the basis of the project"

and, probably ok to tell now :eek:

"Friend of mine (Dizzy Addicott) was the test pilot on the VC10. Back sometime in the '60's he was sent over to the US to fly one back that had some problem. He bought the flight crew back with him & the wagon dragons were in the *self loading cargo* compartment. At some point over the Atlantic he decided to do a barrel roll.... no problems with the crew in the office, but they didn't mention the plan to the girls in the back.... they were a bit freaked out by the move & the subsequent drop of several thousand feet"

As JF says, not a good time right now......................

Saint-Ex
11th Dec 2005, 18:20
Diz loved to tell the story about an American TP who flew the !26 just once. The post flight report was extremely brief.
" This aircraft is very difficult to get into. It should be made impossible."

G-KEST
11th Dec 2005, 22:01
Really sad to learn of Dizzy's passing. He was a fabulous character with an enormous sense of humour whose skills as an airshow pilot were of the highest order. He had flown a great number of types in so many roles to places right round the world so his tales always attracted an attentive audience which usually collapsed in mirth.

I will never forget one show at Coventry when Dizzie was flying a Dakota and the pyrotechnic lunatics had laid some simulated bomb strikes a bit too close to the runway. As the Dak rumbled along just approaching liftoff the explosions bodily shifted the aircraft sideways. After landing Dizzie nearly strangled the over enthusiastic special effects boss saying it was far worse than anything he had experienced in WW2.

Sincere condolences to his family.

Rest in peace Dizzie. I do hope we meet again one day.

Cheers,

Trapper 69

Raw Data
12th Dec 2005, 05:22
I did a bit of RHS with Dizzy on the Memphis Belle film (flying the B25), and he was great fun to fly with. Full of stories, helpful, and capable of some fairly strong opinions on things you aren't supposed to talk about these days! I probably learned more in a few days with Dizzy than a month with anyone else I have flown with. He was particularly enlightening when you got him started on the subject of Spitfires, as I recall.

As others have said, very good hands indeed. He will be missed.

AerBabe
12th Dec 2005, 17:23
Oh gosh ... I met Dizzie for the first time last year, when he came to do a talk at North Weald. I remarked to him that I was rather disappointed in how he'd managed to keep the tone uncharacteristically high throughout the evening. He promptly responded with a comment which I can't print! :oh: What a sad couple of weeks for aviation. :(

LOMCEVAK
13th Dec 2005, 22:23
Another very sad day. Dizzy was not just a colourful character, he was positively psychedelic! One of the world's great raconteurs on many subjects. Stories of unusual aircraft told with the critical approach of a professional test pilot. Stories on other subjects that are completely unprintable here! All absolutely hilarious.

Another great friend gone. Deepest condolences to all of his family and friends. Could someone please post the funeral details when they are known.

Pom Pax
15th Dec 2005, 04:37
In the days when motor racing was still fun he was a more than usefull driver at both club and national level

Arkroyal
16th Dec 2005, 16:00
Very sorry to hear this sad news.

I remember being detailed to fly a Wessex 5 in formation with Dizzy, to get some air to airs of the Fleet Air Arm Museum's Sopwith Pup.

Interesting briefing, where he explained the thing's difficulty turning against the torque of the rotary engine, and the 'blip' switch throttle system.

We got airborne and found him north of Yeovilton and got into a close echelon to his left side. With no radio contact, his next move was a mystery of intent and timing.

He broke right so suddenly we lost contact, but after some more fun, eventually learnt how to remain close by.

Never saw the pictures, but the flight and tail chase (er... sorry long line astern) was a blast.

A real character.

Fokkerwokker
16th Dec 2005, 18:24
Flew with Dizzy on the Catalina and recall very well is endless stream of stories at the bar!

Very saddened to hear of his passing.

Would appreciate any details of the arrangements if anyone has them.

Saint-Ex
20th Dec 2005, 09:03
The service will be on Thursday 22nd December at Berrow Church, Berrow Somerset. It is on the coast between Burnham and Weston-Super-Mare. Memorial service sometime in the New Year, details to follow