PDA

View Full Version : So what is the rule when a pax die on your a/c ?

Gunship
11th Dec 2005, 08:53
:sad: We had a sad incident where one of our pax died on the ABJ - ACC leg en route TIP.

The deceased was not allowed into Ghana.

We heard the a/c had to go back to ABJ with the deceased.

Just heard now that the a/c is 2 minutes inbound with the body ... (5 hours late).

What is the International rules or rules of Africa ?

Anybody knows ?

Cheers and tx in advance.

Gunsss :sad:

Skylion
11th Dec 2005, 16:21
Best bet is to call medical emergency rather than advising that passenger is dead and persuading ambulance crew to quickly remove the person and then find they are dead when safely in the ambulance.
Worth a try and has been known to work a good number of times in history!

Dotun
11th Dec 2005, 16:57
Skylion, thats a good one.

Regards
DMan

bafanguy
11th Dec 2005, 17:23
Had an old captain tell me a story about a man dieing on his flight into a european city many years ago. They knew he was dead enroute (over ocean) so they pulled up a blanket to make it appear he was sleeping.

When they landed, they told the gate agent he was pretty sick and asked to get assistance "helping" the man off the airplane. They picked him up and walked him off into the terminal where they were absolutely shocked to find he had died after getting inside the building.

Sooooo much less paperwork.....

exjet
11th Dec 2005, 20:28
Quite right, had it happen to me many years ago at Lanseria - he only 'died' once off the aircraft.

Gauteng Pilot
11th Dec 2005, 22:28
The above few posts sounds very much like a episode of LAX that was on SABC3

B Sousa
12th Dec 2005, 02:47
Guns.....They are sick until the proper authority pronounces them dead. Always a "Sick" one no dead ones. Give chest compressions etc upon landing...........
A friend had a decapitation case in an accident once, put both parts on the stretcher and said get this one in quick he dont look to good.........

Gunship
12th Dec 2005, 07:38
he he he some good comments thanks :ok:

I think it was a Romanian crew and as he / she was pronounced dead on the flight they decided stuff the paperwork - fly back to ABJ.

I think they might be in trouble as we had to put 120 pax on various other airlines like Al-Italia / BA and Air Swiss :hmm:

Anyway - I catch the drift ... he is still alive when you hand him over :E

flyems
12th Dec 2005, 10:36
No pax/patient ever dies until after customs...

Solid Rust Twotter
12th Dec 2005, 10:38
The trick is to get them off the aircraft and on their way to the morgue before the catering department find out about the fresh meat...:E

saywhat
12th Dec 2005, 13:02
In my time of doing medivacs, I had on more than one occasion have a passenger die. If he / she dies inside RSA airspace, no problem. If death takes place outside SA airspace, there is quite a lot of paper work to do, but there was still no real problem. I did however learn that the answer to the big question was that the person died just after crossing the FIR boundry.

Why it should make any difference is any body's guess!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cavortingcheetah
12th Dec 2005, 13:18
:D

SRT.

That was extremely funny!:D

MysticFlyer
12th Dec 2005, 17:13
Whooooaaaaa!

Two of my "friends" back and that on a very controversial topic.

Giving advice on how to go about dealing with the dead. My guess is if you say the surname of the co'joe softer, may keep a lot of them from becoming stiff.....flying outa south of GWV for that matter though.....

Joker's to the left me, clown's to the right....

MF:ok:
lest you have beans on the menu....human beans.....:}

BAKELA
12th Dec 2005, 18:28
This thread has just about listed all the shortcuts (won't go into detail)...it works and we all know it...so do "they" now. Bottom line...you have the pax list...the gen dec...the medics...ATC tapes...it may take some time...keep your ass clean. At the end of the day...if you ain't bull****ting you can't get nailed. Goes for a lot of things... :ok:

C4
14th Dec 2005, 03:26
Only a doctor can pronounce someone as being dead. So until a doc has done so, they are "alive".
Up the creek without a paddle if doc is aboard the aircraft!!:D

SASless
14th Dec 2005, 03:44
In the EMS business in the States.....amazing record...no deaths while airborne. Granted some were ambient temperature upon landing but not "dead".

The reason....which jurisdiction was it in? Which state and county?

One carts the carcass to the ER....deliver it to the Receiving Physican....shove the paperwork in front of them...and mumble sign here please. Then allow the RP to begin his assessment of the patient. More than one hospital will "transfer" a patient that is heading south, just to try to escape the ding to their mortality rate.

V1... Ooops
17th Dec 2005, 08:00
A friend of mine was reprimanded by Transport Canada (way back when it was still the DOT) for making a radio call to Flight Service over HF advising that 'one of his passengers just turned into freight'.

Seriously - I have had a few pax die on board flights that I have been operating (in each case, the pax was a medivac, so no great surprise that they expired enroute). I have never said anything over the radio - there is no point, there's nothing to be gained by doing so. I just land, taxi, shut down, and let everyone else handle the matter. I mean, how am I supposed to know what's going on in the back? I've got a full time job flying the darn thing.

I've landed twice with more passengers than I took off with - births on board are far more of a PITA than deaths, so far as paperwork is concerned, especially if the aircraft is registered in a different state than the point of origin and/or destination.

I was travelling as a passenger on a Singapore Airlines flight from SIN to ZRH some years ago when a passenger died enroute. The plane was full - not a single empty seat - so the flight attendents put the deceased into one of the washrooms, so as not to leave the passengers beside him uncomfortable. 7 hours later, the plane landed in ZRH, and the deceased was much less flexible than he was when they put him into the can. I understand the ground staff encountered quite a bit of difficulty manouvering him out of the can and then out of the plane after everyone else disembarked.

B Sousa
17th Dec 2005, 11:32
V1 Problem is when they DO become freight, the price of transportation goes up. More money for the Airline on the return flight.....Look at things economically........:E