PDA

View Full Version : Philidelphia Airport

edusaeanna
10th Dec 2005, 17:09
I'm flying from the UK to Philly this Easter (US Airways) and am then transferring onto an internal (US Airways) flight to Conneticut. I have a friend who lives near Philly who I haven't seen in ages, and of course would like to see her between flights, so does anyone know if you have to stay airside between flights, or whether I can go meet her? Thanks.

20driver
11th Dec 2005, 03:48
You should be able to leave the building as you have cleared customs.
There is a rail service from the Airport to the city. Maybe 15 minutes by cab to downtown.
You cannot get into the councourses wihout a boarding pass so you'll have to meet in the check in area.
Hope this helps

edusaeanna
11th Dec 2005, 14:33
Hope this helps

It does indeed, thanks very much.

cavortingcheetah
13th Dec 2005, 16:34
:D

Was there, back in one home, three weeks ago. Excellent airport.
You have to clear immigration and customs on first entry into the USA. This of course means that you have to go ground side.
Philadelphia is a geat city with lots to do.
I'd just rent a car and go from there. But..you do pay a $50. surcharge for renting from the airport. On the other hand, you've got to get back there anyway and most car rental companies now charge drop off charges for leaving the rental vehicle at a different location than that from which you took it.
I used Enterprise, mainly because they have a depot on THe Main Line.
pm me if you want further on the city of brotherly love and its surrounds.

Happy landings. Penn's landings too!

seacue
14th Dec 2005, 18:27
Correct me, but I think Miss Anna is of student age. Car rental companies are unlikely to want to rent to anyone under age 25 without a large price premium.

I can't belive a $50 premium for car rental at the airport. It usually a percental or a smaller per-day charge. The rental company web site will give a firm quote which includes all the extras - and there are many in addition to an airport or "facility" charge..

slim_slag
14th Dec 2005, 20:12
edusaeanna.

You don't have a choice when arriving in the States, you clear customs and immigration and end up in the Good Ole USA.

Usually your onward flights will be timed so you will not have time to leave the airport and visit friends. If you do, then why not get them to visit you at the airport? It would be a lot easier.

edusaeanna
16th Dec 2005, 19:58
If you do, then why not get them to visit you at the airport?

Sorry, didn't make that one clear, that's what's happening. She's going to meet me in arrivals, before my onward connection further north. It's just when I went to Canada (years back) I was going to arrange to see a friend in Toronto Airport (where I transfered onto a plane to Calgary) but it's just as well I didn't as I wasn't allowed out into the main terminal so that I didn't have to go through security twice. I'm hoping this system isn't used in Philly, as well, my friend is coming to airport and I think it would break her heart if I got there and wasn't allowed out to see her.
Cheetah, I'd love to go see Philly but time doesn't allow, and not only am I too young to rent a car, but I can't drive anyway...I really need to learn how one of these days.

ExSimGuy
5th Jan 2006, 19:54
Coming from UK (I assume you are flying MAN-PHL, probably with USAir) you have to clear your baggage at your first entry point to USA (Phila)

I fly US from Gatwick a couple of times a year, and on arrival you will hear frequent PA warnings that, even if your bags are "checked through", you still have to collect them from the belt and clear customs/immigration, before making your connection.

Can't say for certain if you have to re-check your bags in the normal departures hall, but you will certainly be able to leave the "airside" yourself to meet up with your friend in the depature hall.

Unfortunately, there's only a coin-slot coffee machine as you leave the arrivals - all the refreshment facilities are "airside" where your friend can't go. However, there is a fairly short walk-way to the nearby airport hotel (I forget which "brand") so as long as you have time, you can go there for a coffe/sandwich/etc.

Be careful not to check your bags for the onward sector and then hang about in the hotel too long though - most airlines take a dim view of pax who miss the boarding time and whose bags have to be offloaded ;) - security can take a while to get through (and they may well charge you to re-book on a later flight)

Have a great trip!

Frankfurt_Cowboy
6th Jan 2006, 09:46
"Can't say for certain if you have to re-check your bags in the normal departures hall, but you will certainly be able to leave the "airside" yourself to meet up with your friend in the depature hall."

There's a seperate, airline specific connections facility. The security guard just checks that your bag's got a US onward connection tag and bungs it on the belt, no actual check in is required.

edusaeanna
6th Jan 2006, 13:57
Thanks, sounds hopeful. I just dread having my friend drive all the way down there for me to not be able to see her, I'll have to be extra nice to Customs... Sim, yes I'm flying MAN-PHL and then off to some random place in Conneticut before being picked up and driven to another random place in Massachusetts...and then I get to do it all again in reverse 6 days later....fun. Thanks all. :)

Crepello
6th Jan 2006, 18:07
You should be fine edusaeanna (at least, provided you arrive on time...) I went MAN-PHL-onward last week and as others have said, it's customs > reclaim > recheck (just down corridor) > out.
Tip 1: Try to be seated near the front of the transatlantic flight; can save mucho minutos in the immigration lines.
Tip 2: As ExSimGuy mentioned, there's a Marriott hotel in the centre of the airport terminal (landside), a bit soulless but good food & drink and an easy meeting place.
Tip 3: For re-entering airside, the security lines can get long by mid-afternoon so don't cut it too fine.

Happy travels!