PDA

View Full Version : CPT airspace

flyyy
10th Dec 2005, 14:20
i was wondering what the rules are about flying over camps bay/clifton.
the reason i am asking is because i know there are often paragliders flying off lionshead landing at la med. are planes aware of them?

Goldfish Jack
10th Dec 2005, 15:31
The lower limit of the TMA there is 4500ft,

All the indians are supposed to be below that within the SRA which has its own dedicated freq for use in that area. Any IFR a/c wanting to route around the Peninsula is kept within the TMA to avoid all the congestion below it.

Of course what ACTUALLY happens below the TMA within the SRA is another story completely. Must admit I have seen some spectacular flying and "close-shaves" there over the years. Seems like some a/c do not obey the rules iro speeds and lights on when they are below the TMA.

AAaaaah the joy of the SRA - best kept there and not disturbed. The paragliders should also be on the SRA freq, so they should hear the other stuff around them..............

nugpot
10th Dec 2005, 17:09
Never mind the fact that it is a very, very dangerous place to fly when a strong south-easter is blowing.

Nearly lost it there years ago when we still did Albat "fuel consumption checks" :E around the peninsula. Unbelievable windshear.

Goldfish Jack
11th Dec 2005, 02:51
You were lucky!

Can remember a few years ago about a cherokee that was flying around the pens in a howling south easter and pilot had his mate up at the cable station filming them flying past. It was a new years eve, if I remember "makes mental note to check brain out".

A/c got sucked into the downdraughts behind the mountain and pilot could not get out - flew straight into the mountain with his friend filiming it!

radioexcel
13th Dec 2005, 10:32
:ugh: Not nice to think back about that day. I was the :mad: App radar controller that day. What a RE:( end to a year. In those days there was no SRA and App spoke to all A/C around the penns. Not nice to loose any of them in such a way.
So guys and girls.. pse keep away from the mountain when the SE is in full force. Many happy and save fights for 2006.
Regards
RE:(

Gunship
14th Dec 2005, 10:41
While on the subject gents ... what is the rules and reg's over Strand please ?

Seen some pi$$cats nearly donnering into kite surfers ... I kid you not bru ... :bored:

radioexcel
15th Dec 2005, 14:04
Hi Gunns,
a) They should follow ANR's re overflying gathering of people when over the beech..no one does as there are always lots of people on the beach. Further they must comply regarding built-up areas. Houses end flats on the edge of the beach??
b) Most of them overflying the sea..without permission as AIP states any aircraft flying over False Bay (If I remember correctly FAR149) they must have permission from Cape Town Approach ATC to whom the airspace is deligated. If active fireing taking place, then Sector Control. With permission..over the sea I don't think there is any height restriction, but none of the does contact ATC for permission.

So either way, I think they fly illegal LL down the coast.

Would like to hear froms other aviators??

Regards

RE:O