PDA

View Full Version : Klm Cpt-ams

flyyy
10th Dec 2005, 14:17
does anyone know what plane KLM uses on the CPT-AMS route? was not able to find it on their homepage. when i flew last year it was a 777.

flapsforty
10th Dec 2005, 15:25
It is still the 777 :ok:

A plane is a carpentry tool with an adjustable blade, used to make surfaces of wood smooth.

An aircraft is what you will be taking to CPT.

A capital is a big letter that you use to start a written sentence with.

;)

Final 3 Greens
10th Dec 2005, 15:57
An aircraft is what you will be taking to CPT. No, it is called an aeroplane.

An aircraft scopes in aeroplanes, gliders, motorgliders, self launching motor gliders, vectored thrust craft, helicopters, gyroplanes, hovercraft, tethered balloons, free balloons, airships, paramotors, microlights etc....

If you're going to be pedantic, get your facts straight first.

flapsforty
11th Dec 2005, 15:31
Live and learn; thanks for that explanation Final 3 :ok:

Why do people on PPRuNe usually abbreviate the word 'aeroplane' to AC? :confused: The English, she is a funny tongue!

Bus429
13th Dec 2005, 19:05
I recently contacted the BBC News site about their use of the term "airplane" in an article about air-rage. I suggested they use "aeroplane" or "aircraft" (I prefer "aircraft").
They changed it!

Piltdown Man
13th Dec 2005, 21:37
And an aeroplane includes: gliders, motorgliders, self launching motor gliders, vectored thrust craft, helicopters, gyroplanes, hovercraft, paramotors, microlights, kites etc.... (ie. heavier than air flying machines)

Final 3 Greens
15th Dec 2005, 01:12
Piltdown Man

I beg to differ and so does the Oxford Dictionary, which says that an aeroplane is a powered flying vehicle with fixed wings and a weight greater than that of the air it displaces.

So I agree that SLMG and microlights are aeroplanes and possibly some kites could be, but the others you mention are definitely flying machines or aircraft ;)

BTW, when I said vectored thrust craft, I was thinking Flying Bedstead, rather than Harrier (which is clearly an aeroplane with unusual capability)

lexxity
16th Dec 2005, 14:07
Why do people on PPRuNe usually abbreviate the word 'aeroplane' to AC

Because we call it an aircraft as well! But I suspect that we are so used to using it as an abbreviation at work that we use it on here too.

Biggles Flies Undone
16th Dec 2005, 15:19
When my namesake was inducted to the RFC his instructor told him that it was "an aircraft or an aeroplane - never a plane" :hmm:

TightSlot
16th Dec 2005, 18:08
I've never heard anybody at the operational end of the industry (except brand-new crew) call it anything other than an aircraft, abbreviated to AC or A/C on paperwork and computer screens.

Now I know that I'm wrong, I have no intention of changing!!! :E

Final 3 Greens
17th Dec 2005, 08:38
TS

You're not wrong..

All aeroplanes are aircraft.

All aircraft are not aeroplanes.

Anyway, aircraft is easier and faster to say than aeroplane :}