PDA

View Full Version : Jobs in Asia

JimmyD
10th Dec 2005, 13:08
Hi All,

I am from Australia and i am fresh out of commercial training.

I have 220 hours total time
Frozen ATPL
Command Twin Instrument Rating.

I have noticed that some of the Indian Airlines are really desperate for people (Ie their co pilot requirements are just a type rating). I was wondering if I got a 737 type rating whether it would give me a good chance of getting a job with them (I understand it is not guaranteed).

James

cfimei
10th Dec 2005, 14:31
This is a very tough question to answer, particuarly as my suggestion would provoke an outcry from some parts of the pprune community - "buy your own job??!!" I think a heavy jet TR like the 737 won't help u that much without getting some actual time and while there are some FO programs out there, they are hugely expensive and you'll be labeled a traitor to the cause!

If age isn't a consideration, why not think about somthing smaller, any turbine or light jet ratings would put you in a good position if you know of operators that might hire low time guys.

I'd have thought a quality ATP like the Austrialian one would open some doors for you but maybe I'm mistaken. Maybe it's just flight time that matter and not the country of license issue.

I'm seriously thinking of doing a TR AND buying some FO time - different strokes for different folks!

Good luck.

DeltaT
13th Dec 2005, 10:17
Indian airlines are not allowed to hire expat F/o's by law, only Captains.
If you have an Indian passport, go for it!

Scoob
13th Dec 2005, 12:37
Hi,
My take on the situation is this. If you have 200hrs and want a jet job the only way you are going to get one is by throwing heaps of money at it and then you have a slight chance, by slight I really mean no chance but you do hear of the odd one or two rich prats who get lucky. Thats if you call spending multiple times your yearly sallary on training lucky. The other way is to forget about a jet for now and fly in the bush, fly skydivers, instruct etc. It is not well paid but it is fun. Then move onto twins, then turboprops, then go looking for your jet job. It is the route I am in the middle of at the moment and starting next month I start the next step. Flying PIC in a twin turboprop at 250ft looking for oil and gas, it is I am sure going to be more fun than flying to dublin in a 737 and I know it pays a lot better. It is almost like a disease that people think a jet job will cure, if you enjoy flying you should enjoy the journey. If you were wondering it took 3.5 years and 2000 hours to get the latest job and yes it is the first time I will be able to not live from paycheck to paycheck but I do not have a huge ammount of debt, nor have I ever let a large company rape me.

kwaiyai
14th Dec 2005, 04:07
Jimmy,
Check your PM's when you got a minute,
Regards,