PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer problem

SASless
10th Dec 2005, 01:04
Recently....my trusty desktop has decided to drive me completely insane....which will be a short journey according to my mates.

Symtoms (of the computer)....Internet explorer is slow to open...once open works fine...except....will not open links...some flash on the screen but go right away...and only one Internet Explorer window at a time....used to be able to minimize an open IE window then open multiple others....not now.

The computer has gone to showing the following error message...

"A run time error has occurred. Do you wish to Debug? (then shows varying lines of script where the error lies)
Error: The Caller (server[not application] is not available and disappeared), all connections are invalid. The call did not execute.

I have installed the latest Java programs from Sun Java.

I have done a Spyware Scan (a couple of different programs), have done a virus scan (two different programs), have checked settings and followed the advice of some web sites.

There has been some improvement but the single IE window and inability to open links remains.

Any ideas? (other than format the Hard Drive and re-install all the programs....which is becoming an interesting option next to the sledge hammer and hit any key to continue method!)

I am using Windows XP Pro and IE 6.

Mac the Knife
10th Dec 2005, 04:58
This isn't really an answer SASless, because I can't guess at what is making your Incompetent Exploder fall down and I don't know how to fix it. It sounds as if you have some malware there.

But why don't you just forget it and install Firefox?

To quote from one of my recent posts on the topic "Spyware Rampant..." -

"If you really MUST use a Microsoft operating system then for heavens sake use a better and safer browser - IE is really a disaster these days and the new version (supposedly better) won't be out for at least a year.

There's really no excuse today, the latest Firefox (1.5) is now out and runs like a dream - http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ "

frostbite
10th Dec 2005, 12:40
Doing a registry check/cleanup with one of the free apps. might help, so might a defrag. None of them will do any harm even if they don't solve the immediate problem.

Mac's suggestion is a good one.