PDA

View Full Version : Oxford (OAT) Ground School

Blackpoolwarrior
9th Dec 2005, 22:35
Is anyone else starting on this course and would like to meet up beforehand? Is anyone looking for accommodation?

PILOTOWL
9th Dec 2005, 22:44
TWIT-TWOO

Wrong site to mention OAT .
See above thread:ok:

TWIT-TWOO - Only Joking !

CPL_Ace
11th Dec 2005, 16:39
Ignore him I believe from his postings, he's had a drink!

OX12
22nd Feb 2006, 09:10
Hi , i m french and thinking of starting a course in oxford AT
Is there anybody who could give me his opinion on the ground training epecially ?
Ive seen OAT makes it in 6months which seems to be quite short. I would like to hear about graduated experiences on this part of training...is it tough? easy to put up with? how about the student s lives ? teachers ...

Last one: do they have any foreign students upthere ?(french,spanish etc)
cheers
;)

soviet bloc
22nd Feb 2006, 09:21
Hi,
OAT groundschool is actually very good, as long as you work hard you'll get through in the 6 months. some elements of the syllabi are tricky so I assume as a foreign student your english will be perfect - otherwise you may find areas more difficult than they should be !
The teachers in ground school are all ok, despite one or two notable exceptions, but think it's like that anywhere. If you're modular then look at other cheaper options but for integrated OAT groundschool is good.
As for students, well a healthy mix, not that many foreign students from the more desirable parts of europe that you mentioned but plenty from the undesirable parts of the non european med, but they didn't bother us too much when I was there.... good luck
sb

OX12
22nd Feb 2006, 21:04
How many hours of private work every days roughly they use to do ?

soviet bloc
23rd Feb 2006, 15:33
most of us used to do at least 4 hours each evening, and work at least 1 of the weekend days. I'm thick so I did more.

OX12
23rd Feb 2006, 16:46
as far foreign students are concernerd, do they always speak a perfect english to follow the course ?

soviet bloc
24th Feb 2006, 18:05
yes mostly, basicly as long as you can understand the groundschool books and exams you'll be ok, but the CAA exam board are not very good at speaking english and as a result we native speakers occasionally find some exam questions ambiguous. If I remember correctly there were some english language tests in OAT's selection process which are designed to see if your english is adequate.... such as: have you got the money ?.... when can you pay ?....

dxbpilot
1st May 2006, 23:31
I'm starting the OAT full time ATPLs in September, just wondering if anyone can tell me if I will be getting a break for Christmas/new year ?

thanks alot guys/gals

scroggs
2nd May 2006, 06:07
Why don't you ask OAT?

Scroggs

dxbpilot
2nd May 2006, 08:24
I just thought someone who has gone through the course may know as it would save me a call to the other side of the world !

I'm a poor student ! ha

but I guess this may be the only way

thanks for the input

scroggs
2nd May 2006, 08:34
If you are online, you can reach OAT as easily as you can reach Pprune. Go to their website and look for 'contact us' or use their in-house forum. And any communication reference your course you have directly from them is worth a whole lot more than hearsay on here.

Scroggs

S-crew'd
3rd May 2006, 20:41
dxbpilot

For what it's worth the school closes from Dec 22nd till Jan 2nd 2007 approx..

You might want to confirm this with OAT directly.. sadly though if you're in the middle of your ATPL's you won't be having any holiday, christmas or otherwise :E

Good luck with the exams

GrkPilot
16th Oct 2006, 23:39
anyone doing the Modular ATPL ground at Oxford? :cool:

LL-Snowman
21st Oct 2006, 16:51
GrkPilot
I am currently doing my ATPL at OAT on the modular route.
So far it has been excellant. Can I help with any question you might have?

GrkPilot
21st Oct 2006, 23:01
check your pm's! thanks

WingletTurbo
22nd Oct 2006, 22:42
Maybe you can help me! How much is it costing you and are you satisfied with the way there going? Will you get your ATPL their in 6 months or is that just a selling point of theres? Your in the ground class, correct? The ATPL they offer is good all across Europe and not just England, correct?

Sorry to bust all the questions out at once! :)

LL-Snowman
23rd Oct 2006, 12:37
Yes I am currently in my 5th week of groundschool at OAT.
So far the instruction has been superb. There is a lot of work to do, both in class and in your own time. the groundschool takes 6 months to complete, unless you need to retake any exams.
Once I have finished the ground school, depending on results, I will be hour building before starting the CPL/ME with OAT, either in Oxford or in Phoenix.

Any other questions, let me know.

Captain Spam Can
23rd Oct 2006, 13:32
As Oxford are introducing the new waypoint thingy, does this mean that they are ending the modular groundschool and flying unless you do it as a whole (waypoint)? i.e could you still just enroll for the ground school bit or vise-versa just the flying.

r1flyguy
23rd Oct 2006, 14:59
Hi Captain Spam

I am currently studying modular ground school and have only paid for that part of the training and are under no obligation to take any of their other courses on, so as far as i am aware 'if' i pass the exams I can still go elswhere for the flight training:) .
I believe that if you don't do the ground school with them you an't do the fllight training and it is because they say it will give you better oppurtunity for recruitment having been trained completely by OAT:ugh:

The only downfall i find with grounschool is the lack of use of the virtual colege forum by the students, i am registeed on BGS and use their question bank for revision study as the response to any query is very good and very quick:D

WingletTurbo
23rd Oct 2006, 20:18
Yes I am currently in my 5th week of groundschool at OAT.
So far the instruction has been superb. There is a lot of work to do, both in class and in your own time. the groundschool takes 6 months to complete, unless you need to retake any exams.
Once I have finished the ground school, depending on results, I will be hour building before starting the CPL/ME with OAT, either in Oxford or in Phoenix.

Any other questions, let me know.

Thank you for your responce. Just to clarify, the ATPL offered by Oxford is good all across Europe and not just England, correct?

Thanks again.

P.S: Check your pm please.

matt_hooks
23rd Oct 2006, 23:26
Winglet.

The ATPL issued in the UK is a JAA ATPL, hence it is valid in any of the JAA states. That covers most of Europe, tho some of the countries airlines do get a bit funny about taking on "foreign" nationals as pilots!

mason
1st Nov 2006, 16:38
hi i am currently thinking of doing atpl ground at oxford whats the accomadation like students instrctrs etc thanks
GrkPilot
I am currently doing my ATPL at OAT on the modular route.
So far it has been excellant. Can I help with any question you might have?

Robbed_60Grand
2nd Nov 2006, 20:26
Duplicate of this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=2942801&postcount=97) post.

Scroggs