PDA

View Full Version : Life in Maun

rsull
9th Dec 2005, 15:51
Hi All

I started with a new company a few months ago, lets just say it didn’t turn out like I hoped. The turn over is high and conditions are not what was agreed too.

I have been offered a contract in Maun. I have done a search and found similar topics with varied answers and views.

My questions to all African ppruners are:
What is the Lifestyle like in Maun outside of work?
Would you take your wife/partner there?
What is the cost of living?
Is it safe?
Any info on life in Maun would be great, thanks heaps.

rsull

Xshongololo
10th Dec 2005, 01:51
Life in Maun is very dangerous...you must not take your guava to Maun as someone will eat it.....
There is a very stong tendency in Maun to try and enjoy ones self.
Sadly you will be in a minority as most people just want to drink chibuku and sleep off the trembles of cerebral malaria....
When I was in Maun I also like you was offered a contract...make
sure you get medical insurance and kids school fees paid for in the small print....
Lastly, ensure in your contract of an interest free car loan....good companies offer this and you would be a fool not to follow this up i your new position.
I wish you luck.
You have a very strange identification name so I will keep it simple and call you Rs

Ttailed
10th Dec 2005, 04:56
cheepes you sure are from the nuthouse!

Enjoy,

Tt

EDDNHopper
11th Dec 2005, 18:54
"Would you take your wife/partner there?"

Itīs ok. for a while but, depending on your (or her) lifestyle will get pretty boring after some time. Nearest larger cities are Gabs and Windhoek, if you want to call them cities that is.

"Is it safe?"

Botswana still is one of the safest places in Africa. Burglaries on the increase, yes, but still very safe all in all.

superserong
12th Dec 2005, 15:05
I loved it!

The pay won't be spectacular, but if you fit in, Donkeytown is a great place. I have to agree with the many-legged one...keep guava behind lock and key. The flying is fantastic!

Hope you get in

Flyflyfly!!

MysticFlyer
12th Dec 2005, 16:34
EDDN hopper,

If your's is from Munich or anywhere around, carefull, the African adventure for them is still a great.... "gotta-do", untill "did-it".

Hope I don't scare too many off....it's after all only folklore that they "dig" the locals...that much.....anyway....

Cowabunga dudes!

MF:(

Anyway, Leon always said...Ag man moenie Maun nie, jy't jou kaas en jou polony.....

rsull
15th Dec 2005, 13:57
Thanks for the information.
About the Guava, i might bring some extra and try to sell them to make some extra beer money??
Sounds like its a fairly safe place to live, not much to do other than work and drink with the other crews. Ok to bring wife along but there isnt shopping malls or starbucks for her.
is this fairly accurate?

what about jobs for the wife?
Living conditions?
Cost of living there? GAS, bread, beer, food, restaurants?

EDDNHopper
18th Dec 2005, 09:12
Ok to bring wife along but there isnt shopping malls or starbucks for her.

There are one or two small shopping malls now, and the odd fast-food place and good food at some places. No problems at all with petrol, banks, post office etc., it is, after all, THE tourist centre in Botswana. Basically, you can get everything you need for a decent living, but donīt expect a fancy urban "setting". 40ī000 people, scattered houses, tarred main roads, and then the bush.

Food, petrol, restaurants etc. slightly more expensive than in South Africa, but not much. Donīt know about current costs for housing, though.