PDA

View Full Version : Bristows Cadetship

FlatSpin
22nd Jan 1999, 13:09
Hi Guys,
Just wondered if anybody here knows anything about the Bristow Cadetship interviews? (This is wanabees really but seems to be ATP dominated). I've got one at Redhill real soon
and am busy preparing for it.
Many Thanks

airmail
25th Jan 1999, 23:23
I did this interview last year but was unfortunately unsuccessful, as I remember it your day will go something like this:

Arrive at 8.30ish for a pre day briefing on what is to happen. The morning will be taken up with 4 tests? consisting of 2 maths tests, 1 English test and a mechanics test. You cannot use a calculator for the maths tests and some of the equations revolve around working out Sin, Cos & Tan. I borrowed an O level maths book which helped me out here.

Once these are done you will then be required to sit several tests on your jack, these include the standard computer aptitude tests, a logistics test (ie an oil rig has 2 hours to live, you have to evacuate 20 people with one helicopter 20 mins away the other 10 mins away but requiring maintenance etc etc). You have 10 mins to work this one out before presenting it to 2 of the instructors. Hint follow it through to the end, don't just get the last people off and say that the chopper can go to any of the locations, specify which one.

The final joy is the interview in front of Capt Bedford, the boss of the flying school and the head of groundschool. Start reading the Times or whatever, bone up on the technical side and don't let them pressure you. Good luck

FlatSpin
26th Jan 1999, 12:25
Thanks for the advice, it sounds fairly standard stuff apart from the logistics test. What sort of technical questions does
Capt. Bedford ask Helicopter or Aeroplane?

Thanks

maxvne
27th Jan 1999, 00:32
any chance of letting me know how you get on and what questions your asked as a friend of mine is attending one soon.By the way I am a Helo pilot myself so if you need any help I will try to return the favour

airmail
27th Jan 1999, 04:35
Hi guys

As far as the technical questions go, it was complete random according to the other people there on the day, for example I was asked about Boyles Law-the only person on the day to be asked about it! From what I heard from a friend of mine who I met on the day, keep calm and if they start having a go, respond suitably (ie not agressively but in a polite and calm way to put your point of view across whatever that may be).
Don't forget, any employer is looking long term-you might become one of their Captains one day-they want to know that the basic skills are there for them to nuture.

Maxvne, wherever you are on the planet, I want to become a rotorhead so any info that you come across would be gratefully recieved and paid for at some stage with copious amounts of alcohol, women/men, sheep etc etc.

Flatspin, if you need any more help give us a shout

FlatSpin
27th Jan 1999, 18:21
Thanks chaps,
What are your plans now then AirMail? Are you
going to learn to fly abroad or in the UK?
What type of Helo flying would you like
to do? HEMS, North Sea, Instructing..?
If I don;t get the cadet scheme then I'm going
to go to Canada and do a CPL(h) over there..or maybe the states - money being the
major factor here!
Have you got a Heli PPL?

Cheers for the Help!

MaxVne, I'll tell you about the day (it's next tuesday, is that the same day as your friend?)

airmail
28th Jan 1999, 21:37
Hi Flatspin
At the moment I'd take anything!! I've got a PPL(A) with about 75 hours on various types and about 30 hours on various choppers so I suppose I can look either side of the fence. I would love to fly helo's for any operator doing things like HEMS but I suppose I'd have to do my time on the North Sea first so I just keep knocking on (the same) doors until someone let's me in. If not then I suppose it's the self sponsored/instructor route.

Anyway, best of luck next week, let us know how you get on.

Regards
Airmail

Shetland
29th Jan 1999, 01:32
We where succesful in getting a cadetship with bristow last year. The best bit of advise we can give is be yourself and don't try to bull*****them. The training is due to take place in America. If you need any more help email us.

Alfie_Midnight
29th Jan 1999, 01:50
If too sentances say a thowsand werds, how come half of 'em are spelt incorectley?

Nice one Bristows

MaxNr
29th Jan 1999, 03:57
Just out of interest, are these cadetships a new thing for Bristows and what is the starting salary for an entry level co-pilot???? Thanks in advance...MaxNr

maxvne
18th Feb 1999, 23:14
airmail
did you try the Bond cadet scheme? because they are hiring at the moment for a new contract to begin in june/july.
I am a pilot with Bristows and we are offering early retirement to some pilots and if we lose contracts in March the people being let go are the 20 newly qulaified cadets,unfortunately

FlatSpin
19th Feb 1999, 12:46
maxvne,

I thought Bristows had a healthy contract
with shell for the next five years? I don't
understand why they would drop cadets
after paying for their training. Especially
as they're sending 12 of us to California to
train this year as well! But I suppose if they lose contracts then they do what they have to. Surely a five year contract is a
five year contract?

Flatspin

airmail
19th Feb 1999, 16:58
Maxvne

Thanks for the info re Bonds, haven't been able to speak to them yet, but I'll keep on trying.

My best mate is one of your colleagues and having been out with him the other day I've decided whatever happens with sponsorships, I'll have to save the money to get the job. Do you know whether the school that Bristows uses in the States is theirs or if it is a third party? Also how does the fact that it's in the States affect the cost of doing it through Bristows.

Any info, winning lottery numbers etc greatly appreciated.

Regards

Retreating Blade Stall
21st Feb 1999, 04:21
Hello Wannabes,
forget helicopters-go fixed wing; major airline if possible. The helicopter world is just hire and fire( particularly on the North Sea)and there is only one way loyalty- yours to the helicopter company, seldom the other way around. THIS BECOMES VERY IMPORTANT WHEN YOU HAVE A FAMILY TO SUPPORT, AND MORE IMPORTANT THE OLDER YOU GET
RBS

ENG OUT
21st Feb 1999, 18:26
AIRMAIL
The company BRISTOWS has linked up with is called HELICOPTER ADVENTURES INC near San Francisco ca,it's web site is www.heli.com they've just finished setting up caa approved courses that's one of reasons they've linked up with Bristows.I worked for them back in 91 and keep in touch once and awhile.

airmail
22nd Feb 1999, 03:06
RBS

Totally appreciate your comments and thanks for making them but I am still silly enough (at the moment) to want to be flying an S76/S61 rather than a 7 series Boeing-strange but true! By the way, I think we may have met-or am I mistaking your tag with someone elses?

Eng Out

Good info thanks mate-whats your situation at the moment, any winning numbers for me!

maxvne
1st Mar 1999, 06:39
Flat Spin
yes there is a 5 year contract with a 2 year extension for shell which is a good contract for the company but the loss of a BP contract is a major blow.Also with OLOG now the controlling parent company of Bristows they are sending all the British Pilots that are based overseas and replacing them with American Pilots(cheaper) so there is a lot comming back to the north sea with a result of over staffing.I believe some of them have been let go and also the issuance of 32 early retirement letters.I'll try to keep you informed.GOOD LUCK

maxvne
1st Mar 1999, 06:55
AIRMAIL
AS Eng Out has said the company is HAI and no it does not belong to them.
It should not affect the cost by doing it with Bristows in the US but the problem is that the Bristow instructors that are going to the states will only be training Bristow pilots and no one else,as the US instructors will not be training the Bristow Pilots.These are all part of OLOG's cost cutting measures and in a couple of years they will probably sell us on.
We also think that with the introduction of the JAR'S that the training may have to be undertaken in a European country.
Keep the faith and you will get your rotor job soon,probably mine.