PDA

View Full Version : Slow PC Shutdowm

jethro15
7th Dec 2005, 20:45
Running XP Home edition, my PC has suddenly decided to take a couple of minutes to shut down, when it used to be a matter of seconds

I close all programs first so that nothing is running.
Click on 'Start' - 'Turn off Computer'
Wait about one minute for the Turn Off / Re-Boot option to appear, but when I click 'Turn Off, I have to wait a further minute before the PC shuts down.

No error messages or warnings appear at all

Any ideas??

Conan the Librarian
8th Dec 2005, 00:03
Well, this IS a Microsoft product.... There are various articles on the MS knowledgebase, but until something more subsantial pitches up, I would not worry too much. Probably just a proggy that doesn't shut down cleanly (if one can say that whilst running MS)

Conan

Blacksheep
8th Dec 2005, 01:20
Do you have auto-update running? I had a similar problem when my laptop was connected to the internet for too little time for the update to fully download. This went on for weeks until it had finished the update and installed it, then everything went back to normal.

BOAC
8th Dec 2005, 07:21
Jethro

"I close all programs first so that nothing is running." - therein possibly lies the problem. You THINK you have! Before you close down next time Ctr-Alt-Del and select 'applications' and you might be surprised at the number of 'processes' MS is running on your behalf. Something may have 'installed' itself or as Blacksheep says, not be complete? It is worth a try.

WG774
8th Dec 2005, 16:44
I trust you run Adaware regularly, and know how to use "HiJack This"? There could be a *theoretical* issue there as previously suggested.

My LapTop used to take minutes to shut down when I had my old wired modem (I used to terminate all conns prior to shutting). Now I'm on wireless it shuts down in seconds, although sometimes it goes back to its old tricks... I really have no idea what my issue is, maybe Conan has the right idea - never trust anything M$oft.

jethro15
11th Dec 2005, 17:07
Cheers for the suggestions, much appreciated

Yes, I thought at one time that it was the Adaware prog that was causing the problem. However, after removing it from the system the problem still persisted.

In the end I just restored the pc to it's factory settings, re-installed the relevant software, and hey presto....jobs a good 'un

Thanks again for the replies