PDA

View Full Version : $18000!?!

Bladestrike
21st Jan 1999, 09:49
I recently heard of a number of EMS co-joe's getting hired on at $18T CDN/yr! How can someone live on this? Granted they're probally low time but isn't this a little nuts? That Commercial and IFR don't come cheap. Even IFR Captains at $42T seems a little out of place this day and age. Just say no?

Retreating Blade Stall
21st Jan 1999, 23:45
Bladestrike,
in the U.K. the pay for helicopter pilots in all the various types of operation has been steadily decreasing in real terms over the last 10 years or so. The only way to deal with this is to start helicopter pilots' unions, it seems to me. Forget BALPA and the big fixed wing pilot dominated unions; helicopter pilots need their own exclusive unions dedicated to their needs only.
What do you think?
RBS

MaxNr
22nd Jan 1999, 00:52
I feel the need for a Helicopter pilots union has been the subject of debate for some time, and yes, if our income level is to have any modicome of control, then a union is desparetly needed (on either side of the pond). However, who could champion this just cause???? Just HOW do you start a union??? A great many helo pilots starting there careers will sell out for that first job and except "peanuts", while the companies know full well that they can always get someone in "cheeper" if you don`t like it!!

I wish I could have been constructive with this post, rather than stating the bloody obvious....but, maybe someone can point us all in the right direction

Bladestrike
22nd Jan 1999, 19:38
Quite a few years ago, I believe the pilots at CHC (it may still have been Okie, I don't remember) attempted to get a union going, but I don't recall any of the details. Alot of customers are now requiring 1T-2T hour minimums, and granted salaries go up past this magic mark, so maybe grin and bear it for those formative years to get those hours, but they should be be up there for experience. I may be part of the problem, I love my job, but there are general labourer's here making $10T-15T/yr more than me, and I'm EXPERIENCED! Drives the misses nuts! Whats the standard, lets discuss what everybody is getting out there, how about it IFR Captains on twins? Domestic and International.

MaxNr
22nd Jan 1999, 19:53
Its already out there Bladestrike, however, its mainly Canadian Fixed wing pilots salaries. Try this site out....
<www.harvair.mb.ca/forum/>