PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Which Artist?????

Tacklebury
6th Dec 2005, 20:32
Hi,

I have a picture that i'm trying to find some information about.

I know the a/c is a B24 Liberator, I believe of costal command, but was hoping to identify the artist.

The picture is a print of 60, number 11.

Any info will be greatly recieved.

Thanks.

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.gurry/Dadsphotos/PICT0021small.JPG

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.gurry/Dadsphotos/PICT0039small.JPG

MReyn24050
8th Dec 2005, 07:59
Tacklebury

Unfortunately I am unable to assist you regarding the identify of the artist I hope however the following will assist regarding the aircraft.

Six of seven YB-24s built and twenty B-24As were transferred to Great Britain for use beginning in March 1941. These planes were redesignated LB30 and given standard British serial numbers. LB was short for Liberator British.
These aircraft went initially to BOAC as unarmed transports and later by Ferry Command.

The next batch were 20 Liberator Mk 1 (LB30B) (Serial Numbers AM910 to AM263), and were received mid 1941 and began to equip No 120 Squadron of Coastal Command for operations over the North Atlantic.

No 120 Squadron RAF were re-formed with Liberator Mk1 aircraft at RAF Nutts Corner Northern Ireland on the 1st June 1941 moving to RAF Ballykelly, Northern Ireland on the 21st July 1941. The Liberator Mk Is were operated by 120 Sqn until Dec 1943. Mk IIs joined them in November 1941. The Mk II had longer nose with a dorsal and a tail gun turret. I think the aircraft in your picture is definitely a Mk 1 Liberator from No 120 Squadron RAF. Possibly whilst visiting Reykjavik.

I cannot read the Artist's signature on your picture. Perhaps someone at No 120 Squadron RAF may be able to assist, they may have the original painting.

Mel

diginagain
8th Dec 2005, 10:52
But on the other hand, with the grey skies and what looks to be large amounts of water on the ground, it could just as easily be NI.

Tacklebury
8th Dec 2005, 12:02
Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

It looks like a bit more digging is needed to get to the bottom of this. My friend will be overwhelmed with the information you have provided and I thank you from him now.

I'll keep this post updated with any more info I find.

Anymore suggestions welcome.

Simon

MReyn24050
8th Dec 2005, 13:26
Diginagain

I agree, having served at Ballykelly, you could well be right as it certainly does rain a great deal there. The tale was that when the first Nimrod landed the other end of the runway lifted up out of the bog. The story is that it was decided to move to Scotland even though a new hanger had been built for them, how true that was I can only guess.

diginagain
8th Dec 2005, 14:09
MReyn24050, I've fond memories of the weather in the Province, and of windsurfing on the dispersal at Ballykelly. The background to the picture is similar to the Crumlin area, suggesting Nutts Corner rather than the more rugged area around 'Kelly, but it's been a while since I was last in either locale.

The SSK
8th Dec 2005, 14:28
Contact the Guild of Aviation Artists?

www.gava.org.uk

Tacklebury
8th Dec 2005, 14:45
Thanks SSK i have sent an email to the gava asking for help!