PDA

View Full Version : When does a First Officer became a Captain?

bluebird121
6th Dec 2005, 11:02
:cool: I am just back from Gran Canaria and we were told that the First Officer was going to fly the plane all the way home..and an excellent flight it was but i did wondered how long it takes for him or her to become a Captain...? Is it the amount of time flying or do they have to sit special exams or are they tested during flying..? thanks..:ok:

FlightDetent
6th Dec 2005, 11:35
All that you say applies. If the F/O is successful, (s)he is qualified to a minumum regulatory captain standard. This will happen as short as in 3 years in big flying. Now, the applicant must decide whether he feels like givng it a try at all and then wait until his application is on top of the pile.

Ultimately, the decisive factor will become the company's need for captains. Some of whom are in fact said to grow old but this has much more to do how the company grows, survives, or collapses (fleet size).

As well, different companies are ready to pay different money and offer different working conditions. It is quite normal that (now really, is it?), ok, common that pilots who are becoming captains on one shore, wouldn't meet the minimum experience requirements to join as F/Os on the other.

Otherwise, try searching for "time to Command", "DEC" within PPRuNe. But I suggest you don't.

:\

So long,

FD
(the-un real)

BOAC
6th Dec 2005, 11:48
No real answer, BB, as FD says - a pilot with the 'experience' joining a rapidly expanding company CAN go straight in as Cpt ('DEC'); could swap seats in 2-3 months, or an F/O may wait 22 years or more, as in BA longhaul at times - (dead-man's shoes')!

It also relies on a lot more than being able to 'fly the plane all the way home'. That is taken for granted! NO 'special exams', just the correct licence status and a fairly close look at the person during the 'command training'.

Ropey Pilot
6th Dec 2005, 12:52
No exams in UK - but I believe in the States you do have a test for your ATPL (air transport pilots license - allows you to be a Captain) whereas in the UK there it is simply experience (flying time) to progress from CPL (commercial pilot's license - allows you to be an FO on big types and in command of smaller types - eg for air taxi) to an ATPL.

(There are many other differences in the system it doesn't just mean that they have one exam more than us!)

T3HUY
6th Dec 2005, 12:54
And with some companys you have to get your nose a certain shade of brown.

FLCH
6th Dec 2005, 13:26
In the US it all depends on seniority, the earlier you can get on with an airline, the quicker you can become a Captain. A lot depends on the ages of the pilots who are ahead of you, as pilots at 60 years of age, a more junior pilot in the seniority line will take his place. Some guys and gals reach 60 before they can become Captains, because they hired on at a later age. Also if the airline is expanding more opportunities open up for moving to the left seat, as some people say, timing is everything. HTH.

7th Dec 2005, 13:02
Talking of which: Congrats (again) FLCH!!!

bluebird121
7th Dec 2005, 18:40
:ok: Thanks very much for answering my question. .May I wish you all a Very Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year....:ok:

FLCH
8th Dec 2005, 01:17
Thank you so much for your kind comment, if you're ever on my plane swing by and say hello !