PDA

View Full Version : Stapleford

Pages : 1 [2]

jayc004
16th Jan 2007, 21:46
so how many hours a day do you get on the CPL and IR training. Only about 1 by the sound of it, that is not enough in my opinion.
Just a quick one on this aswell. I did normally 2 sessions a day on the CPL, and when in the sim a 1.5 hour session and debrief, then back seated my sim partner.
Dont under estimate the importance of backseating. It effectively doubles your time.
You do 35 hours in the sim, (going onto the plane after 28 hours), then you do 15 hours in the plane. This is more then enough time to get to grips with the dimmond as its like flying a computer. Lovely plane to fly.
I initially started with one plane and sim session a day, but then towards the end moved onto 2 sessions. Believe me, that is overload when you start. Dont foget to plan a route and do all the blog and things you need to do will take an hour before the off blocks time. Then you have to fly and concentrate for over hour solid looking at a computer screen. Land, and then immidiately start planning your next flight. You have no time to think about what you have just done in the previous flight, so you'll most likely make the same mistakes in the second flight....effectively wasting £400 and 1.5 hours plane time.
My opinion....stick with what they suggest. They know what they are doing as they have been doing it alot longer then you. You'll end up doing 8 hours a week, and then another 8 hours backseating. That is a good ratio.

PlaneHomerS
6th Feb 2007, 09:21
Well i am very impressed with what i have heard and read about Stapleford. I will be visiting them at the end of this month with a view to starting with them soon after (if everything goes well that day). Will post on pprune and on my blog after the visit regarding my thoughts ;)

0-8
6th Feb 2007, 11:22
My IR at Stapleford took around six weeks from start to test pass. This was with me training around six days a week.
This allowed for one session in the aircraft/Sim a day with the rest of the time spent backseating, revising or planning for a subsequent flight.

The IR course on the DA42 says 15hrs DA42 time and 2 hours for test and 35Hrs SIM time...
Most IR courses give around 25hrs flying time....is 15hrs not a bit on the short side?
I found 15 hours to be plenty of time.
The Sim used for the course is a really outstanding representation of the aircraft. All the students I spoke to found the conversion to the real aircraft to be a non event. Remember, you have the exact same G1000 panel in front of you in both the aircraft and the Sim and the handling and performance difference between the two is negligible.
Feel free to PM me or reply to this post if you have any questions.

pilotbadshah
19th Feb 2007, 12:19
Hi guys
I'm a student at Stapleford doing the abinitio program. Well all was fine until now> As i'm not yet licensed to drive cars i have no means of getting there except using public transport. The bus route 500 that passes through stapleford is closing down, and i'm completely stranded.

I live in newbury park and commute daily to SFC, first with a tube to theydon bois then take the 500 bus.

Now with no means of other transport i was looking for other options. My next best bet is taking a taxi but doing that daily is well expensive and off my budget longterm. Any suggestions anyone?? I really need help and advise from current and past students.

I've been looking for a car share with no luck. Maybe i'm not looking too hard! But if any students/instructors/employees are willing to give me a ride there and back again i'd really be greatful big time. I'm willing to share in the costs and picked up from any nearby tube stations. If you can help me out please email me or reply to this post. I dont want to halt now, wait to get a driving license and a car than go back. Please anyone who can i'd appreciate your help. Thanks

badboy raggamuffin
19th Feb 2007, 12:31
get urself a motor bike. All uve got to do is the CBT (compulsory basic training) which I think takes about a day and you can ride on L plates. Sorted.

Dct_Bombi
19th Feb 2007, 12:56
How about living on the airfield and perphaps do some work in the bar or radio room to pay your way.

philltowns
20th Feb 2007, 09:52
pilotbadshah,

May I suggest liftshare.com. Its free to use, and has an enormous database of lifts being offered. You may get lucky with the particular route you need.

PT

planeshipcar
21st Feb 2007, 10:03
Stapleford is to start an MCC course in April. I was wondering whether they will have the same connections like parc had with Ryan.

I hoping they may start having links with other airlines soon.

But it is great to have a continuity in training!

macflea
21st Feb 2007, 20:15
hi lads,

i am due to start with stapleford soon hour building and then i want to do the cpl/me/ir with them as i was impressed by the school when i visited it. with all this bad wather at the moment i am starting to wonder if i would be better off heading off state side just to finish off my 40 hours of hour building .cost wise i can see no advantage only better weather and i would have it done in three to four weeks.i would like to hear from students at stapleford if they were back again what would they do and also advantages and disadvantages of either option.

cheers macflea

littco
21st Feb 2007, 20:37
If you have the choice then I would suggest that you at least consider doing some of your hour building at SFC. Reason being that the airspace around the airfield is very busy and complicated also when it comes to doing your Navigation in the CPL you will be well adapt to the area and the terrain and possibly local airfields which to be honest is invaluable. Admittedly the weather can be an arse, then it can be anywhere but I guess.. 40 hours in the states can be done in 3 weeks, where as it might take you 4-5 in the Uk but you could end up spending the time you saved on getting used to flying around the SE England on your CPL.
I don't think anyone can tell you what to do especially when you could sit around SFC for 8 weeks trying to do your HB but in an idea world I would say do it at SFC and learn something from it rather than burning holes in the sky in the USA and not really doing anything constructive other than racking up the hours an avoiding other aircraft!

ali84
13th Mar 2007, 12:27
Hi every1,
Ive just started out researching into the different routes i can obtain a pilots licence. Ideally I wanna end up being a commerical pilot, however, the training fees are currently preventing me from doing so. So ive noticed that Stapleford offer an interest free PPL course. Would you guys reccommmend I do this 1st, then poss. go onto the full course, so it breaks the payment up a bit, or what are my other options. Any adivce would be appreciated, u can either pm me or reply on this post.

Cheers

Ali

PlaneHomerS
13th Mar 2007, 21:40
Hi Ali,

I believe this to be a personal choice and it totally depends upon your personal circumstances.

I am a few years older than you but i remember when i was 22, i had just graduated from university with absolutly no money. Like you i was thinking about a loan but personally i could not stand the thought of being in debt so i decided the best approach for me was to work for 5-6 years.

I have just done that and i have saved enough money for the course at stapleford and a type rating. Handing in my notice to my current empoyer was the best thing i have ever done and it felt great.

I personally believe there is no rush to get into aviation especially if it potentially will put you into the red. Go and work, get some life experience and you will be better off for it.

+Rock on
+PHS

P.s, have you looked into CTC or one of the OAT/FTE schemes? ...

:ok:

MrHorgy
22nd Mar 2007, 16:12
Have you thought about a mixture of both? And depending on where your located, hour building in the UK doesn't have to be that expensive. I currently pay £110 a month and £60 per hour wet on a brand new ish 172 based at Barton.

I found when I finished my PPL out in Florida there seemed to be a lot of nothing around. I was told which airfields I could do and what I couldn't and that was slightly restrictive. In the UK I fly where I want - i've just come back from flying to Reus for a few days and I regularly gain experience flying in France - the bonus being I fly straight through the SE of England and over Stapleford en route :ok:

Horgy

Jake Elwood
22nd Mar 2007, 17:52
Having completed my training at Stapleford and most of my hours building I would agree with littco and to save some hours prior to commencing CPL. I was introduced to my CPL instructor who guided me through my hours building and also prepared me for my CPL training by encouraging me to do some circuit details, general handling and good navigation technique BEFORE commencing my CPL rather than just burning hours and gaining lots of bad habits. I am very grateful for the experience as I finished my CPL training in minimum hours and with a first time pass.

Jake Elwood
22nd Mar 2007, 18:24
Did you finish close to minimum hours? How did you find Nav, airspace and Radio.... having completed most of your hour building abroad?

littco
23rd Mar 2007, 14:26
BenAek,
How in the slightest is that narrow minded! and hardly a constructive comment! And if you read the rest of my post you will see I did the majority of my HB in the USA and it certainly didn't affect my CPL training..

Not quite sure what you're point is:confused:

macflea
23rd Mar 2007, 16:50
hey lads,
thanks for the replies.what would ye think about doing an imc as part of the hourbuilding, would it help for the cpl and its about 17 hours ,half the hours i need .i have decided that i want to do my 40 hours of hb in the uk.i dont think i would save anything by going abroad ,by the time i pay for flights ,accommodation and other travel expenses. opinions appreciated.
cheers macflea

MrHorgy
23rd Mar 2007, 17:29
macflea,

although I can't speak from personal experience, i know a lot of guys who have done their IMC as part of their hour building and they said it was a very worthwhile license to have.

I'd take a moment and actually tot up how much the difference between hour building is abroad. Bearing in mind you can get a Cessna 150 for £35 an hour wet and a 172 for not much more, even when you take transport and accomodation into account you can still save money!

Horgy

philltowns
2nd May 2007, 14:04
Anyone go to the Open Day last Saturday? If so, what were your thoughts.

Was quite surprised to see the number of aircraft they owned - I thought they had a lot less.

As for the talks, Bond Aviation seemed to think that a type rating was pretty much a necessity to have a good chance of a job... :eek:

Although it makes little difference to the flying, I thought new accommodation block was amazing.

Superpilot
2nd May 2007, 14:12
As for the talks, Bond Aviation seemed to think that a type rating was pretty much a necessity to have a good chance of a job...

...and I bet no one from the crowed asked him to justify that statement, same as always.

potkettleblack
2nd May 2007, 14:25
This wouldn't be the same Bond Aviation that will also sell you a type rating is it:) Nothing like a bit of unbiased advice.

MrHorgy
2nd May 2007, 15:07
I went, and was considerably impressed. Plus having a jolly for free on the sims was fun as well :ok:

I've booked to start in June for my CPL IR. I remain skeptical about Bond but it's something i'm considering - in my opinion it's not something worth thinking about until your into your IR and contemplating the MCC!

Horgy

philltowns
2nd May 2007, 15:19
No, I think most people would be intelligent enough to seek advice from sources OTHER than the salesman about whether or not the TR course is worth doing.

I'm booked in for CPL/IR in mid-May so I guess I shall see you there.

11th Jul 2007, 10:37
Hi all - this is my first posting on here and it's a really important one for me!

I am hoping that you guys and girls will be able to give me some ssistance and words of advice please?

Briefly, I am currently 11 hours into training towards my PPL(A) and I have been bitten by the proverbial bug! So I am looking into taking my training further and going for my fATPL. I am 37, so I appreciate that I have to do something quickly and realise that I will have to leave a comfortable, fairly well paid job to go full time.

I have already done a fair amount of research and I have searched this forum and found plenty of good stuff regarding Integrated, Modular and Stapleford. Obviously I have been investigating what is best for my personal set of circumstances as opposed to what might be considered the best for someone generally. I appreciate that the pros and cons of the Integrated and Modular routes, so I don't wish to go over old ground.

My question that I would be very grateful to receive your advice on is what is considered the most desirable to a potential employer, given that both routes cost roughly the same?

An fATPL obtained via an Integrated course or an fATPL with all training carried out at Stapleford Flight Centre (possibly minus the PPL) and a Type Rating?

This isn't meant to be the perennial debate regarding which route is best, but I'm looking for advice on what is the best end product? So I would be very grateful to hear what people think regarding having an fAPTL via the Integrated route or an fATPL with a Type Rating via Modular at Stapleford?

Many thanks for your help.

GusHoneybun
11th Jul 2007, 13:00
It's impossible to tell you which is the best to do. To give an objective opinion as to which mode is best, one would have to have completed both an integrated and modular course. As far as I know, nobody has been that stoopid. However, it doesn't matter which route you go, you still have to pass the same skill tests and the licence issued is identical irrespective of which route you trained.
Giving my tuppence worth. The integrated schools are very good at marketing blurb, and it appears that they do get you a few interviews with airlines. However, at your age, you are up against guys at interview from the same school, but are 15 years younger. Unfortunatly, older people are (wrongly) labelled a training risk and shunned over younger applicants.
So, any advantage you gain by attending an integrated school will be lost.
I maybe wrong and you may impress the socks of the interviewer and get the job, but I am trying to be realistic.

In your shoes, I would go for the modular route, but dont be hasty to start shelling out for the type ratings. Try and get into the TP operators first. Turbo prop carriers seem to prefer people in their 30's as an older candidate is seen as more stable and less likely to scarper off to easyjet as soon as they hit 500 hours multicrew.

Oh, and before you do any of this, get your class one sorted. This is the biggest stopper of dreams.

12th Jul 2007, 13:56
Many thanks for taking the time to reply and your 'tuppence worth' is very much appreciated.

Your comments regarding integrated, getting interviews set up by the school and competing against guys 15 years younger than me is a very good point and one in all honesty, that I hadn't thought through.
Whilst I would hope that I would come over well in an interview, it is a very good point and would negate the attraction that an integrated school holds in that respect.

No, I wouldn't be hasty in planning on shelling out for a TR unless it became necessary due to my age and I appreciate that paying for TRs is a thorny subject in itself. I was just trying to get into perspective what you can get for your money between the two different routes.

No, jets definitely wouldn't be the 'be all and end all' for me and I would be equally as ecstatic to land a job on either a jet or a TP (like most people no doubt). The TP route is obviously appealing as although a career of 20 years is still a long time, I would think it would offer more of a chance to become a senior employee than perhaps the jet route? Although in that regard, I am probably the least qualified on the entire forum to make statement!

That's a very good point regarding the Class 1 Medical. Fortunately I managed to glean that piece of information from the forum and passed my Class 1 a few weeks ago.

Thanks again for your help.

14th Jul 2007, 21:04
Does anyone else have any advice to add? Or ........

Is Stapleford still considered a good choice for Modular? Or having just seen a recent post, is Bristol Flying Centre the one to go for?

Obviously I appreciate that nobody will have done their training at both to be able to give exact opinions on both, but any advice on either would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

captain_rossco
14th Jul 2007, 21:52
I'm off to Bristol FC, know a few lads who went to Stapleford and thay said to avoid it at all costs.

Of course I am just joking, Stapleford has an incredibly good rep and the fellas i know that went there couldn't reccommmended it highly enough.
Visit a few places and see what floats your boat, or lifts your wing as the case may be.

37 isn't old, I've ponied chicks waaaaaaay older than that.

Regards

CR:ok:

16th Jul 2007, 11:17
Cheers for your reply ..... you had me going there for a moment - very funny!!

Yes, I think SFC and BFC are the two that I am going to take a look at and unless something goes horribly wrong, go for one of them. Stapleford has the edge over BFC from a personal point of view as its a 2 hour drive instead of 5 hours.

But if BFC is better, then I would go for it anyway.

Thanks for your help Captain!

Mikehotel152
16th Jul 2007, 13:55
Stapleford's alright and has good instructors. The owners need to spend some of the profits on the school and the aircraft rather than on their horses though...

In any case, I wouldn't want to be driving 5 hours each way to BFC. Is that even feasible? I suppose not. I drive an hour and a quarter to where I train and that's enough! Think of all the occasions you'll turn up for lessons only to be told they're cancelled due to the weather...:{

Though I'm younger than you, I gave up a lucrative career to throw money at flying. I don't regret a penny of it. But bear in mind that you will be spending £45k and not earning for 2 years or more.

Fortunately I have lovely wife who I send out to work! ;)

17th Jul 2007, 11:12
Cheers for the info Mikehotel.

I live the wrong side of Norwich, so any flight school is going to be a treck for me. I would be away during the week and return home for the weekends. So you're right, even the 2 hr journey wouldn't be do'able on a daily basis!

I meant that I would be happy to make the longer weekly round trip if the training/facilities etc were better at Bristol and worth the extra money & distance?

It's good to hear what you say about Stapleford, apart from the horses! as I haven't heard anything bad about it yet?

Luckily, I also have an understanding wife and one that goes out to work, otherwise I wouldn't have a hope!

Blinkz
17th Jul 2007, 11:19
I actually disagree with the points made about the integrated course. At your age, as you say you are going to struggle to find an airline position. What you need to do is maximise your employability and minimise the risk. The way to do this is go integrated. It is not a magic card that will allow you to walk into a job, however it will get you your licence in the quickest way possible, whilst settting you up with a good school name on your CV as well has having the school have good connections to get you interviews. There were 3 people over 30 on my course at Oxford, 2/3 now have jobs. The problem is of course money, and whether you have a family and can afford to be away from them for 60 weeks or so.

Modular will be cheaper, but will take longer to complete and you will have no help getting interviews at all. In that situation you will be against all the younger guys on the integrated course, AS WELL as the older guys on the integrated course, and then the younger modular guys.

All in all you need to choose the route that will suit you best. Good luck with whatever you do.

Vone Rotate
23rd Sep 2007, 10:29
Hi all,

I'm working my way through my ATPL distance learning with London met while hour building out of Elstree. Once I have the dreaded exams done (:ugh:)I'm off to Stapleford to do my CPL/ Multi IR.

What I was hoping is that some of you who have experience of the Essex/ Kent corner of the country where Stapleford train could post me some routes and diversions which they tend to use or that would benefit me as that is the area I'll need to be familiar with.

I just thought I'd ask in case people know of routes they use a lot that would be beneficial to practice etc.
I'm not so lazy that I can't be arsed to work out my own...Well not quite anyway:ok:

Thanks in advance people.......

Hour Builder
23rd Sep 2007, 17:43
Got my last ATPL exam Oct 1st, and start at SFC on Oct 6th. I'll let you know when I know.

HB

Vone Rotate
23rd Sep 2007, 23:14
I'll hold you to that HB;)

PB4
24th Sep 2007, 10:05
did my CPL at SFC, excelent bunch, you can be asked to go anywhere in the 020 - 190 sector from Stap, during the CPL, you will be asked to divert to anything really as long as it's on the map (includes highway service stations, castles etc) during the test itself, it's more likely you will be diverted to Southend as it is where you will do integration and circuits, including a departure on a specific NDB radial, then change of radial, after that it's general handling probably in the haningfield reservoir area (not sure about spelling) then back to Stap...
CPL is very demanding but still very fun, enjoy !

markstevens
25th Sep 2007, 09:40
Hey,

I'm currently doing my CPL at Stapleford now! For the Nav & Diversion routes, you will fly to all the little grass airstrips around the southeast. Some of them are almost impossible to spot, but the very reason why they make it so hard is so when you come to you CPL test, it'll seem that much easier!!

Maybe I shouldn't tell you this, but whatever, lol - The 170A (The practice CPL flight test) is to Nayland, which is about 3nm north of Colchester, and then you are diverted to Laindon, which is about 10nm west of Southend ATZ.

Hope this helps!!

Mark

liffey2alpha
25th Sep 2007, 18:42
hi Mark, just wondering roughly the cost and time span to complete the CPL and ME/IR at stapleford if starting with about 80 hrs and all ATPL theroy exams passed?not includind accom
Cheers Liffey..:confused:

philltowns
27th Sep 2007, 11:03
I did my CPL at Stapleford and for my skills test, I got Stapleford to Lewes (just NE of Brighton). I didn't actually get that far... by the time I got to Tunbridge Wells, the examiner diverted me to Chilham, a small town WSW of Canterbury. Then it was back towards Southend for GH, IF, circuits, etc.

I highly recommend Stapleford as a school... just finishing my IR with them and have been very pleased with the courses so far.

SimJock
28th Sep 2007, 12:22
PB4:
including a departure on a specific NDB radial, then change of radial

since when did NDB's have radials then ? :eek:

For my CPL from Stapleford I think I went to a small town near Maidstone, then diverted to a small airstrip North of Southend but didn't actually complete the leg as we did the circuit bit at Southend instead.

Anywhere in south east Kent is a good starter as the north Kent coast is easy to follow and the Thames difficult to miss.

I got Nayland on my 170 too and couldn't find the chuffing place due to a miscalculation in my nav log so binned it early, got somewhere different for the next 170A and that was OK.

RITZER82
29th Sep 2007, 01:20
Hi I am considering doing my modular route programme with Stapleford, has anybody got any idea what it is like there, thanks

Hour Builder
29th Sep 2007, 09:08
Try doing a search.....

Fireboy
29th Sep 2007, 11:10
I found Stapleford to be an excellent school, I completed the CPL/ME/IR July this year. The only problem I had was with instructors changing the booking sheet and not bothering to tell the student or anyone else:ugh: Some instructors should try to engage brain and pick up the phone, it's not hard!!

The head of training runs a tight ship with very little bull s*it. The DA42 is an excellent aircraft for the IR but a higher standard will be expected on the test compared with the Seneca, etc. The aircraft used for the CPL are all in good condition and are fairly new.

Don't let the above problem put you off, Stapleford is still a highly professional school with some very experienced instructors to help you along way.

I hope this helps.
PM me if you want to know anymore.

Busy Climbing
1st Oct 2007, 09:51
I finished at Stapleford end of July also and agree with what was said above, although I never really got caught out with that booking sheet, I did ask for an instructor change at one point, felt I was standing still a bit on the IR, but the school were very accommodating and I was well on my way in no time.

When I was trying to decide where to go I visited Cabair at Cranfield, they had one of these open days where they're supposed to be able to answer all your questions. Well they couldn't, it was as simple as that, and at the time they were dividing modular and integrated students by fleet.... integrated would get their hands on the DA40 then DA42 for the me/ir where as modular wouldn't get the new kit. I'm sure this isn't the case anymore, I think they have an all Diamond fleet now but it's an indication that management see you as a 'different opportunity'.

I don't know about you but I couldn't go somewhere that thinks you're a better pilot or more worthy because you're willing to put all your eggs in one basket and give an extra few quid for the privilege. We all know it's not true.

What I liked about Stapleford was the atmosphere there, a bit flying club at weekends, and professional during the week, and if you fancy a beer at the end of the day with the instructors it isn't frowned upon. In fact I found it to be very social, and all the staff there are a great laugh, a nice balance of hard work in a fun environment. That's what you need if you're going to be there a while....

Only thing I didn't do there was the MCC because I felt the European Aviation course offered better value for money, but things change week to week don't they so call it as you see it!

Above all good luck and enjoy your flight training, it's costing enough!

philltowns
5th Oct 2007, 17:20
Finished my IR with them this week and have been very happy. Took me ages to decide on a school and I certainly feel I made the right decision. I highly recommend them as a school.

atis123
13th Oct 2007, 15:54
Can anyone that have done their training in London Metropolitan University or/and Stapleford Flight Centre, actually got a written reference from either of them when they finished their training. I’m looking to finalise which school to go to but I’ve discovered that some have a policy of NOT giving students a written reference after training.

Thanks

Hour Builder
13th Oct 2007, 17:22
I'm sure no school gives them out as standard-you'd have to earn it even if a school is known to have done so.

philltowns
17th Oct 2007, 12:18
Stapleford were happy for me to put the Chief Pilot's name down as a referee on my CV.

G-SPOT
22nd Oct 2007, 10:48
Hello,

I'm at the point of choosing somewhere for CPL/ME/IR training and Stapleford is looking like my first option. However I know they get busy. Is anyone currently studying with them and if so, are you able to fly 5 days a week (weather permitting) or are you limited to less than this due to instructor (non) availability...?

Any advice much appreciated,

Thanks,
S

BellyAir
22nd Oct 2007, 11:24
at least 5 days a week. Some work Monday to Friday and others work over the weekend in lieu of a couple of days off during the week.

it's a good school with good instructors and staff.

norton2005
22nd Oct 2007, 12:50
Although it is a very friendly place proceed with caution. They seem to let a lot more people on then they've actually got instructors for and you will find yourself battling to get a slot to do your lesson in.

slayer
22nd Oct 2007, 14:39
G-SPOT, I’m currently at Stapleford. Completed my CPL in 5 weeks, would have been 4 if not for a bit of bad weather towards the end. Just completed my ME rating which took just over a week. I personally don’t know what Norton2005 is talking about, I never had any aircraft or instructor availability troubles. On my CPL I had two lessons and back seated another two lessons per day Monday to Friday having weekends off. That was enough for me! Spent most weekends sleeping!!! My instructor was always available day or night if I needed to ask anything. Multi Engine Rating was the same story except I flew over the weekends and had Monday and Tuesdays off, again no troubles getting my lessons in.
Any questions G-SPOT please feel free to ask, so far Stapleford gets top marks from me :ok:

philltowns
22nd Oct 2007, 17:40
Did my CPL mid-summer with them and instructor/aircraft availability was never an issue. Highly recommended.

norton2005
22nd Oct 2007, 18:03
Everyone will have their own opinion i guess but for me, I wouldn't recommend it.

G-SPOT
23rd Oct 2007, 09:30
Everyone, thanks for the comments. Almost all feedback I have heard regarding Stapleford is exceptionally good, apart from a few who have said the same as norton2005. My concern was that I only have 5 weeks off work and really need to get it done in this time otherwise I have to return to work with unfinished CPL.

Slayer, I'm glad you mentioned they don't mind back seating during CPL time, definately invaluable extra time in the back.

Again, thanks,:)

S

PB4
24th Oct 2007, 08:51
G-SPOT, working and doing your CPL/ME-IR isn't imcompatible, I did my training at SFC while keeping my full time job (squezed Mon-Thu) and I only finished 1.5 month later than they guys I started with, you should be able to find instructors available weekends, you might have to fly with different ones but personnaly I found it usefull

G-SPOT
25th Oct 2007, 08:36
Thanks PB4, I am also working mon-fri, which I would like to keep going as long as possible to finance it all. Very usefull.
Just another thought for anyone who is there now....I assume you are allocated a time slot for your training each day....so if you miss this slot due to wx, then do they try fit you in later in the day if wx improves are do you then have to await your next slot another day....?

Thanks again
S

slayer
25th Oct 2007, 11:10
G-SPOT, I found that on my CPL my training buddy and I were often the only students that our instructor had and so we had the aircraft allocated to us all that day, therefore when the weather was bad for example early in the morning, we would simply push the lessons back to the next slot. That was my experience but I guess it would be down to how many other students your instructor had booked in that day, if it was only you then you would simply take the next available slot that day. It was never a problem for me. I think your find that your instructor wants you to fly as much as you do and it’s in their interest to try and get your lesson in if possible.

G-SPOT
25th Oct 2007, 11:37
Have now managed to have a discussion with the course co-ordinator who answered most of my questions re availability and was very helpfull indeed...also assured 5 days training (wx permit of course), now I just need to wait and see if they can fit me in before Christmas....fingers crossed.
Thanks,
S:)

lakerisers
27th Nov 2007, 23:12
Hi All,

Does anyone have any knowledge of what Stapleford is like compared to other training schools.

Have visited OAT (Oxford Aviation) a couple of times and am impressed, but £75K is a lot of dough to blow.

Stapleford seems around £20k cheaper, but not sure what the quality of training is like.

Will the airlines favour students from the bigger schools when selecting pilots?

Would appreciate any help on this

Thanks

Mercenary Pilot
27th Nov 2007, 23:15
The search function is your friend!

http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?searchid=2203178

Will the airlines favour students from the bigger schools when selecting pilots?INCOMING!!!!! :ouch: :E

Superpilot
16th May 2008, 17:03
I hear all is not well concerning IR training on the DA-42 due to Theilert going bankrupt and lack of parts. Any news?

Flying Lion
19th May 2008, 11:52
Latest is aircraft hours secured for those with iminent tests to both complete training & to take test. Parts have been secured for further leased in DA42 which was grounded for last week & should be back on line shortly. Training preference obviously given to those in system already.

With regards to other two aircraft, attempts will be made to CAA/EASA to allow certified repair to the oil spraybar which is subject of recent AD.

student88
20th May 2008, 09:56
The Seneca is also in use for IR training.

S88:ok:

Mikehotel152
20th May 2008, 18:38
Please tell me they're not using the Seneca for IR training? :uhoh:

That'll bring down the pass rates!!!

student88
21st May 2008, 10:36
I don't think they have any choice.

S88

ali1986
27th Jun 2008, 03:32
I emailed them and they replied (i have edited it)

Yes we are still going to run courses on the DA42 but unfortunately we have been forced to increase the IR price by £680.00, you do of course have the option of completing the course in the Seneca.

It has been decided that all new starts on IR will have the choice to either use DA42 which will have a rate increase of £40.00 per hour to offset some of this unfair and unexpected operating cost which has been forced upon us. The new rate will be £350.00 per hour. The other option is to use the PA34, the rate is £346 per hour which includes 30p per min fuel surcharge, The PA34 rate is unchanged only the fuel surcharge has increased, this is to reflect huge Avgas price rise this year. Sim prices remain unchanged.

I apologise but we have no option but to take this course of action in the present situation.

Kind Regards

Lisa

Vone Rotate
11th Jul 2008, 21:20
Is anyone on pprune training there at the moment?

I was all geared up to go there later in the year but now considering my 2nd choice school as it seems they are very busy right now....

Has anyone had problems there regards getting training slots and a/c? (cpl/mep/ir courses)

Does anyone know if there is any problems doing the IR on the twinstar due to the recent going's on with the parts?

Thought I'd ask on here as talking to people who work for the company are only going to tell about the good bits!!

Just as a point, I really like the place and not trying to dig them out or give any bad press, just after some advice from students currently there...

Roll on summer!!:ugh::ugh::ok:

The Red Knight
12th Jul 2008, 18:19
The DA42 Sim is very busy at the moment, but this should be sorted when the new DA42 sim arrives in August. Parts problem I believe has been sorted. Not had a problem getting slots. :ok:

Leezyjet
12th Jul 2008, 22:52
V1Rotate,

The only problem I've encountered is that the 3 Arrow's used for CPL training are very busy and people taking 170A's or skills test take priority (as one would expect) which can lead to the odd flight here and there being cancelled when the examiners are in. But then I guess it is not so different from a bad weather canx if you look at it that way - frustrating as it is, but everyone gets the right amount of hours in eventually.

Everything else has been ok so far.

:ok:

Nashers
13th Jul 2008, 03:38
im in the middle of my IR over there and yes the sim is realy busy at the moment as there are atleast 7 people i can think of including myself, that have started within 2 weeks.

as for the cpl, yeah you will get lessons canx for flight tests and so on which is expected, but i still managed to get it done in about six weeks with some realy crap wx holding me back as well. saying that i had my ME done in less than a week from first lesson to skills test.

ive flown with a few of the instructors now and have no complaints. they make sure you know when you mess up but in a good way and you can have a joke about as well with them.

you will alwase have one or two minor things your not happy with but that is expected everywhere you go and not only in this industry. my good experiances far outway the one or two little things, and even if your not happy with somthing if you bring it up it usualy gets sorted.

phantomf4
13th Jul 2008, 19:24
I was going to go to Stapleford to do my IR/CPL course and had paid a deposit but then a couple of the guys that I studied with at London Met went to Bonus Aviation and were nothing but impressed. They both achieved first time passes on the IR and the CPL course and had nothing but praise for the school, its instructors and head of training Peter Godwin. I phoned Bonus and they said they can start my IR course at the end of August so I'm going to go there instead.

Vone Rotate
13th Jul 2008, 19:28
Thanks people for your replays. Busy I don't mind at all, I just didn't fancy getting there and getting pushed from pillar to post!.....

Just out of interest, do you stick with one instructor or does it depend on the day/ time etc??

Thanks again:ok:

The Red Knight
13th Jul 2008, 21:33
You stick with the same instructor.

Mikehotel152
13th Jul 2008, 21:53
You sometimes have a different Instructor to take a Sim session but it works well.

Hsifalcon
29th Oct 2008, 16:51
Hi Guys!!!

Avoid Stapleford Flight Centre at all costs !!! Especially CFI Colin Dobney(Unfriendly and can be Very Rude especially as an examiner and hungry for money) Avoid their old Seneca 1 as well. Very expensive school with lots of hidden costs. Need to be a lot more organised and friendly.

Consider Spanish Schools in Madrid (Aerofan) especially for Renewals.

Goodluck!!!

MrHorgy
29th Oct 2008, 17:04
Rubbish. Absolute Tosh.

There's pages upon pages of people here singing Stapleford praises, why should it be avoided so much? What exactly is your experience?

Colin doesn't have a lot of time for people who don't pull their weight, and might come across like that, but he's a nice guy, when he calls you a c*** it's probably because he likes you!

Horgy

twizzinav
29th Oct 2008, 17:16
Theres nothing wrong with Stapleford's fleet or their staff. 'like Mr Horgy says Colin doesn't suffer fools he's like the Simon Cowell of Flight instructors.
You have'nt been very explicit as to why you are whingeing you sound to me like your just trying to promote Madrid

slayer
29th Oct 2008, 17:56
I totally agree with twizzinav and MrHorgy! I completed my CPL, ME and IR with Stapleford earlier this year and from my experience rate the school and their staff very highly. My instructors were excellent and made the courses very enjoyable :ok:

Very expensive school with lots of hidden costs. Need to be a lot more organised and friendly

I suggest that you should perhaps be a bit more organised before going into any flight training. There are always 'extras' in flight training, Stapleford is no exception, however they do make any additional costs very clear in their course brochures.

What exactly were your 'hidden' costs?

Dct_Bombi
29th Oct 2008, 20:54
I too will back those positive comments on CFI and school alike.
If you feel you get a harsh hand off colin then you sure as hell aint gonna last in the airlines when someone decides to have a word with you, and yes i think when he does call u something it probably is because he likes you, or at least dislikes you less.
I had a great time in SFC many years ago 03/04, Tried hard and on occasion needed to be pointed in the right direction by which Colin was happy to do as only he knows how, Anywho good school then and i gather now, all the people with me then were employed within a year or so and as for myself I have been through a few airlines now and finally happy in the one i am now.

Good luck

Mordacai
29th Oct 2008, 21:53
Can't accept this about Stapleford/Colin Dobney. Very good flight school.

Colin does tell it like it is though...chances are if he told you you were rubbish....you were probably rubbish.

Lets have a bit more detail about the axe you're grinding.

Mikehotel152
29th Oct 2008, 22:43
I have never experienced any hidden costs at SFC. I have asked for print outs of my account on a number of occasions and every time the figures have added up - apart from one accidentally duplicated entry which was found quickly - and the figures for my PPL, CPL and ME were roughly as estimated by SFC when I signed up.

Colin Dobney is an interesting character. He doesn't appear friendly when you see him wandering about the FTO, but one-on-one he is a decent guy. And I'll tell you something else, he's an excellent instructor too, with a surprisingly fatherly style, completely at odds with his public and 'test' persona, but he won't pander to your ego and will tell you when you've done something stupid.

As others have said, if you have a problem with Colin you'll have big problems in the cut-throat industry, and SFC is a pretty good bet when it comes to matching pounds spent to qualifications earned.

Carey Hunt
4th Nov 2008, 16:02
I for one didn’t find any hidden costs, thorough research before enrolling with an FTO should in most cases avoid this problem. Every FTO has ‘issues’ but it is evident from most of the threads discussing SFC that they have generally very good feedback.

Ahh Hsifalcon, that’s a bit harsh on Colin, were you feeling a tad fragile at the time?!
Have to say, I found Mr CD to be extremely obliging during my training with SFC…

Carey Hunt ;)

G CEXO
4th Nov 2008, 20:53
I will be starting this month with Stapleford for my PPL on the long road towards an airline career. I can only give feedback and comments on the services I have recieved and that is my 5 PPL exams already taken. The examiners are very very very kind and polite and the CFI, he is the kindest examiner I have ever experienced.

The PPL was clearly explained and I was stressed the fact that the PPL package provides 45 hours which are minimum for PPL issue. I was informed an average student requires an extra 10-15 to pass the skills test. This is very polite of them as they could have easily told me 45 hours are more than adequate to pass the skills test.

One grudge I have with Stapleford is the fuel surcharge they are adding to each flight when fuel is now less than $70 a barrel. That is very unfair and the management clearly need to review this factor.

Overall, its a pleasant experience so far. I will be writing a PPL diary very soon when I start which will include all good and bad points I will experience. It will be very beneficial for any potential Stapleford student.

G-XO

Cancel2LateLunches
4th Nov 2008, 21:10
For what it's worth I finished with Stapleford 3 years ago and completed the course in minimum hours, which I would say is a testament to the quality of the instruction you receive there rather than my ability. I left there and was employed within a month for a jet job, once again down to the training I received at Stapleford. I would recommend that anyone looking to become a pilot seriously considers Stapleford, however at the present time I would recommend avoiding aviation like the plague as you wont get a job!!!! As for Mr Dobney he has the look of a complete C***T, but is really a very decent sort of chap and a excellent instructor.

2LateLunches out

Nashers
4th Nov 2008, 23:07
i did all my training with SFC from ppl to IR. i have nothing but good things to say about the quality of instruction. all my instructors have been very good. like anywhere you will have one or two instructors that have different teaching methods to what fits you, but all you have to do is say and it will be sorted.

currently stapleford has a very very high first time pass rate for the IR, if not the best in the country at the moment.

the fees i paid in total was more or less as expected but the fuel surcharge was imposed when i had just started so did increase the overall cost.

Colin is an experianced instructor and does know what he is doing. all he does is sits there and lets you get on with the flying. any mistakes you make he WILL let you know about on the ground in a direct way. he does not butter anything up.

regarding jobs, well ive finished all my training at the worst possable time so i cant blame stapleford for the economic downturn. however still trying!

SVoa
6th Nov 2008, 00:20
Hey im joining SFC in a week, so really looking forward to experiencing all these positive things you guys are talking about. When I went to visit the staff were very friendly, and they really didnt delay me AT ALL. So any experience I have so far with them its good :)

SVoa

rriisshhii
10th Jun 2009, 21:18
This thread, amongst others, combined with approximately 2 year's worth of research and visits and PRuNe-ing and reading brochures and attending open days and seminars etc.etc. has led me to make my final decision; to undertake my training at Stapleford.

If possible, could someone who has trained at SFC possibly PM me? I have made a spreadsheet estimating the amount of money I will have to spend to complete my training, complete with contingencies and extras, and would like some help figuring out whether it is a fair plan, and if others who have trained there can associate with the prices I have estimated.

Thank you in advance.

rriisshhii

Mikehotel152
11th Jun 2009, 08:12
Try this (http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/370647-stapleford-flight-centre-merged-2009-a-2.html#post4931487)

MH152

rriisshhii
11th Jun 2009, 11:44
Thanks Mikehotel152, very helpful as I said in my PM.

regards,

rriisshhii

CY333
22nd Jun 2010, 18:09
Any people been there lately?

Supermattt
23rd Jun 2010, 12:29
Yep I was there yesterday....how come?

CY333
23rd Jun 2010, 14:26
How was it?

student88
23rd Jun 2010, 23:52
I was there today. The woman behind the bar was even more miserable than before.

The school is okay - but it could be so much better. They need to get rid of one or two of the rude girls behind reception. Not Sandra as she is absolutely lovely. They have a fantastic set of instructors. The facilities could do with a cash injection and the cafe/bar should be contracted out to an exterior company because the food is just crap and over priced. The airfield is in such a lovely location though and seems to attract students from all over Europe. This place could easily get a 10/10 but at the moment I'd give it a 6/10. Customer service means everything these days IMO.

flyvirgin
8th Aug 2010, 16:47
I would have to disagree with the comment about the bar and food, there is nothing wrong with the food, infact I think the food and bar staff are top notch!
Stapleford is probably the best modular flying school out there:ok:

MagicTiger
8th Aug 2010, 21:27
The food!!!

You want to be a gourmet critic or a pilot? I mean seriously, bring your own lunch, why waist money in the cafe! Seriously make me wonder what values you have for your training!

Anyway my view so far, the school is very fair and good. CPL cost me a little more then originally quoted, but that was mainly because I opted to use the Arrow instead of the Warrior for most of the training. As flying the Warrior is a waste of time, to have to do all again in the Arrow, and get used to complex aircraft + using the correct speeds in the Arrow makes more sense than flying the Warrior over the threshold at 80kts. Other reason it cost me a little more, was the time from last flight to skill test, I simply wanted a couple of extra hours myself the day before the skills test. Still overall all completed within 4 - 5 weeks. MEP minimums, and will be starting my IR shortly.
Personally I would budget slightly above what they quote, to be safe, but having done much training there, also for my PPL - they have delivered close to minimums.

Everybody I speak to there who do CPL/IR/MEP - have NOTHING negative to say about the place.
Regarding the cafe, the food is fair for what it is, and prices too. The reception, most of them are friendly when you get to know them + who cares, who spends more than 5 minutes in the reception?
You go there to make your bookings, tech log, keys and pay - that's it! And it is pretty busy sometimes, might be several people waiting to get their tech logs signed at the same time + people calling with all kind of questions, it does get pretty busy there sometimes, that's just the way it is!
Most people are there to fly, learn to fly, not spend their day in the reception to get a nice pat on their back, it is In and Out!

The miserable one is probably the one who is the boss in the reception, overall those are things I would not care about. Imagine you work for an airline, do you think all the people you will be in touch with in your company will always be smiling and kissing you on the neck? Please give me a break! Spoilt brats!

Overall personally I would give Stapelford great recommendation, they deliver what they promise, and within a reasonable frame of budget they offered in advance.
In the end, it is all up to the student, it is only that much an instructor can do!
I do not go there to chat with receptionist ladies, or to have a great dinner - I go there to fly and to learn to fly!
If you want smiling ladies go to the lap dance bar, and if you want good food - there are plenty of good restaurants in London!

WHBM
9th Aug 2010, 12:36
one or two of the rude girls behind reception. Never my experience, in 10 years at Stapleford. Try phoning up (once they know you) for a last-minute all-day hire of a PA28 when tomorrow's bookings sheet is already nicely full. Scribble, scribble, switch, switch, no not him, put that there, if I do that and that ....... ah, yes !

Superpilot
12th Aug 2010, 12:56
The rude one can become surprisingly nice and warm towards the right people :ok:

student88
12th Aug 2010, 14:16
FlyVirgin - am I right in thinking you used to work behind the bar at Stapleford? Don't be biased now!

flyvirgin
12th Aug 2010, 19:56
No your not right, I'm just a student there!

AJ1990
13th Aug 2010, 18:16
Stapleford has a bit of an odd atmosphere thats for sure. The receptionists are incredibly busy so I'd never expect them to be interested in general chit chat - I think it depends on the day and the mood they're in as to what level of customer service you get. I know people have mentioned that we're not training at these places for the customer service, we're there to train. I would agree with this comment if it wasn't for one major consideration - the price we pay. When I'm paying £148 an hour dual I expect to get a polished product for my money.

Stapleford, as any other flight school, is selling a product. If I don't like the product my money walks. I trained with Stapleford on and off for about two years and always felt that for the money I paid I wasn't receiving an adequate product. As a result I moved. I'm now training at a school which charges £118/hour dual and makes me make my own tea and coffee. The difference however is that when I pay that £118 after each lesson I feel like I'm getting value for money where as at Stapleford I merely felt like just another PPL there to top up the money pot.

MagicTiger
13th Aug 2010, 22:12
AJ1990 - Now I believe this thread has mostly been about CPL/IR training, and that is a complete other kettle of fish. You should not compare PPL vs this. The school that offer you PPL lessons for less, might be good, don't get me wrong. However the reputation of Stapelford for CPL and IR, is pretty good.

Yes money talks, but I have also heard of schools that are happy to teach for less, but the procedures they teach you are not suitable for the further CPL/IR training, if that is your plan.
You might save a little now, then you go on for your CPL/IR and you need to relearn procedures etc. That is why it is a small advantage to train with one school.

I do think PPL at Stapelford probably has "lower" priority than CPL/IR - but than again you do get a few "hopeless PPL" students too.

It is all about what the student puts in, they will gladly let you spend your money if you are not bothered yourself to put time and effort in your own training.

rriisshhii
13th Aug 2010, 22:39
MagicTiger

It seems as if you're taking many of the posts on this thread to heart. Whilst I disagree with those who feel that the standard of food served in the training establishment's bar is an indictment on their ability to train pilots, I also disagree with consistent rebuttals of people's post in which they are merely trying to get their opinion across to those who want to see a perspectives from across the spectrum for their potential training establishment, whether it be from PPL to CPL ME/IR.

rriisshhii

AJ1990
13th Aug 2010, 23:19
Moving on...

I think Stapleford needs to address its priorities. I've heard many good things said about Stapleford CPL/IR training and couldn't possibly comment on the quality of training. I only talk about Stapleford in terms of an establishment from my own experience. Surely it's sound business sense not to alienate PPL students who'll potentially be tomorrows CPL/IR's? First impressions account for a lot - when I'm considering which training organization I'll go to for my CPL I won't be so inclined (rightfully or wrongly) to go back.

It's good to see PPRUNE continues to be a friendly open forum for debate...

MagicTiger
14th Aug 2010, 02:49
Maybe with some more life experience you learn to see what is important and what is not.

A PPL is a license to learn. One thing I would say from my own experience, they try to get you done in minimum time, if they think you are good enough. This for me is more important then the coffee or the receptionist girls!

I know some other schools, they will happily make you fly more than required, and take your money.

If you pass your skill tests in minimum time, than the school must be doing something right!

For PPL you have many more choices in the country then for CPL/IR - so you can not compare this to much.

Everyone can see the Professional flight training set up is ahead of the PPL. End of the day PPL is just a basic license for people to start learning to fly.

AJ1990 said he was training ON and OFF for 2 years for his PPL I assume, now that itself is a major problem. If you want to have good quality you need to do your PPL within 3 to 4 months! If not you loose to much continuity, and that is not the schools fault. I am sure if you are ON and OFF for such a long period, you will have various instructors etc., so of course the quality will be varied.

Most people do the whole CPL within 4 - 5 weeks, and ME in 3 - 6 days, that for me is a sign of quality.

Rather than mess around for 2 years with your PPL, save your money until you can do it intensively, at least 3 to 5 days a week. You show the effort, and their instructors show the same effort back to you.
Regarding the price you pay also depends on what aircraft you fly. There are several good PPL schools in the country, however there are less to choose between regards CPL/IR - and believe me the cafeteria and reception ladies are not going to be a contributing factor to my choice!

Without knowing your personal circumstances, I believe your choice to spread your PPL training out over so long period is a big mistake, maybe that's why the quality in return was not as you expected.

AJ1990
14th Aug 2010, 11:24
My personal circumstance...Lost my Class 1 medical after being made unfit to fly by catching a very nasty nasty bug. I didn't fly for 18 months. Not really a personal choice.

I agree with you MagicTiger however. I started an intensive course just two weeks ago and I'll be done and dusted by the end of next week. Intensive training in far superior for obvious reasons. I havent questioned the quality of training at Stapleford, I just said they were a bit over priced for what they were offering. In fact I'm going back there to do my Night Rating so by no means take this as an attack on Staplefords quality of training.

You mention a lack of life experience. As a 19 year old, I still appreciate the value of my money. Thirty odd pounds an hour difference makes alot of difference to myself and when you consider over the course of things, this adds up to a fairly sizeable amount. Or maybe you assume that becasue I'm still young mummy and daddy must have paid for everything as all 19 year olds in this industry allow them to? I could have all the life experience in the world but at 19 that wouldn't change the fact that money still counts for alot.

MagicTiger
14th Aug 2010, 17:22
Depends on the quality of the training. With CPL/IR saving few pounds an hour might cost you more in the end.

There are many circumstances to consider. One thing you want to make sure of is that the basics and standard of quality will help you when you go on to your commercial training.

Maybe your current school is excellent, maybe they are not, time will only tell. Saving few hundred pounds now, might cost you more in training later, maybe not. Impossible for me to judge how good your current school is. However for me Stapelford have delivered all with reasonable price, as expected!

That is for me quality, not how the food is or the reception ladies are, by the way they have been excellent with me, always!

davidbrent
15th Aug 2010, 13:40
i finished my full Zero-fATPL programme there in March (Modular)

Myself and Three other lads from Stapleford, all finishing bewteen December 2009 - March 2010 are all now flying for Ryanair, First Officer on the 737-800.

I would say it was a fantastic investment for me personally. I've gone from a wannabe PPL to having my dream job flying Jets, in just a little over 2 years.

I would reccommend them as the best modular choice for PPL, CPL, ME & IR.

I would reccommend for hours building you go to Florida (SunState Aviation - Kissimmee)

and for MCC i would definately go somewhere where they have a 737 Sim.
CAE on the 737-800 or Oxford on the 737-400. This was a massive help in my selection and assessment for Ryanair.

Ciao.

JackN
4th Sep 2010, 11:42
I agree with David, I'm just finishing my IR at Stapleford now - should be doing my 170A at the end of this week or beginning of next.

I've done my PPL right through to IR with SFC, and I've also done a fair bit of different types of flying at other places in the UK. PPL-wise I think it can depend on who your instructor is at Stapleford but generally they're pretty good - personally I had an excellent PPL instructor who prepared me well for the CPL.

It's a similar story further up the ladder; my CPL/ME and IR instructors have all been absolutely first class - I really cannot fault them at all. The only minor problem I can think of is a lack of standardisation between the instructors at Stapleford. Even so, they seem aware of this so, where you have to fly with other instructors occasionally, they usually arrange for someone with a similar teaching style to take you on for that slot.

I agree that, for the money you pay, the aircraft are generally a bit old and tired - particularly at PPL level. I worked for a different flying school during my ATPL studies (we only taught up to PPL) and the aircraft were in great condition, but the instructing was, with a couple of possible exceptions, nowhere near the mark of SFC - and I know what I'd rather pay for!

I have no hesitation in recommending Stapleford as a great place to train for anything from PPL through to CPL/IR.

cavortingcheetah
20th Aug 2014, 06:13
Stapleford Flight Centre.

It's a CAA FTO, a properly and professionally run flight training establishment for all sorts of pilots and aspiring pilots. It's true that some of the aircraft are a trifle tatty but the maintenance is prompt and this is a training school, not an elite hire and fly operator.
The standard of training (multi IR renewal) is extremely high and sculpted to the individual's requirements, character and abilities. It's a business though so you'll forgive them if they want to make some money to live on. They're perfectly entitled to do that. I've known plenty of places that charge on a Hobbs metre from the moment the engine starts up to the second it shuts down, not everyone just charges for time airborne, or has an excellent and cost efficient simulator for procedural practice.
I found no rudeness at all within the organization, a little brusqueness perhaps when they were busy but then they work hard there and sometimes no doubt have to deal with less than intelligent questions and requests.. Some people are more taciturn than others and on different days of the week too but that's nothing personal. So long as a workman like job of training or testing is done without any trace of potential victimisation, that's what you should expect. Don't forget too, that if you're tested and passed and subsequently have an aircraft accident or incident, then your testing officer's licence and record will be examined in great detail by the CAA. You can be great drinking buddies with your students but that's best left until after they've qualified and by that time most pupils at a place like this have probably disappeared into the ether in search of their own economic destiny.
Looking forward to further training and testing at SFC. A throughly good mob to train with.

clarkeysntfc
12th May 2022, 15:03
Hi all, resurrecting an old thread but does anyone have any more recent feedback on Stapleford for CPL & ME IR training?

SoftwareDev
23rd May 2022, 14:48
I'll jump in too. I'm about to start PPL with another school which does not offer night rating or anything beyond PPL. I'm considering going the full length to CPL IR/ME APC MCC.

The only issue with getting to Stapleford is the I'd have to walk along that main road it's based for around a mile on after getting a bus. The bus for that road does not run on weekends and I do not have a car here in London I can use, yet. Anyone been to Stapleford and know if that road would be safe to walk along? I would be coming from the East side of that road. Or is there somewhere that would be practical to get a cab from?

pilotmike
23rd May 2022, 20:40
I'm about to start PPL with another school which does not offer night rating or anything beyond PPL. I'm considering going the full length to CPL IR/ME APC MCC.
Off the top of my head, that would appear quite difficult to do, from the information you've given. Might it be worth re-thinking that plan?.
Anyone been to Stapleford and know if that road would be safe to walk along?
It seemed reasonably safe, fairly firm tarmac without any soft sinky bits, not many ferocious animals, mines or highwaymen that I recall seeing, when I was last down that way. As for safety regarding traffic - if that was what you meant - it is probably no safer or less safe than any other similar road. A quick look on Google Earth / street view will show you pretty much everything you need to know so you can make your own judgement, as we all assess relative risk somewhat differently. Did you think to do that before asking?

A road I consider to be safe might put the fear of God into you, yet conversely you might find that a road that terrifies me completely, you are able to put all fear to one side and you are able to take it completely in your stride, so as to speak. You must appreciate it can be so very difficult to adequately describe these finely nuanced judgements on behalf of other people.
Or is there somewhere that would be practical to get a cab from?
Anywhere you can summon an Uber from (or get a decent mobile phone signal for calling a taxi from if you're more old-fashioned, like me) would seem to be the most practical places. If you need to find a working public telephone, then I'd suggest that might take longer to find, and Google might well again prove to be your friend, and indeed an excellent starting place, though I'm reliably informed most of them now are more of a public 'convenience' these days than telephone boxes in the traditional sense.

As for where to ask a cab to pick you up from - again if that was the question you wanted answered - my suggestion would be from somewhere between the place you have managed to get to, by whatever means, and the place you actually want to get to, presumably Stapleford Aerodrome in this instance. The exact place will depend on how far you are prepared to walk. I hope this has helped.

SoftwareDev
24th May 2022, 06:44
Absolutely 10/10 pprune reply. Loved it haha. I know it sounded like a dumb question, I should've probably added more detail. I'm coming from central London and am curious to hear from anyone who has done the same with public transport and how reliable that has been, otherwise I'll just drive. I usually just go do the journey to see what it's like but I'm out of the country at the minute. Your reply made me chuckle though

Supermattt
24th May 2022, 09:16
Hi SoftwareDev,

I did my PPL at Stapleford 2006-2010 before I had a driver’s licence. I would not walk along the road from Abridge regularly, it is narrow and cars go fast. I used to get the tube to Theydon Bois then walk along the beginning of the road to Abridge, over the bridge and up the hill, down the other side, under the motorway and up another hill, then, on the left before the house there is the beginning of a public footpath and you can walk across the fields popping out about 200m from the airfield entrance. Invest in an 1:25,000 Ordnance Survey map and you’ll be able to see the way. It takes about 40mins from Theydon Bois. You still have to walk along the road a little but it’s much better than for a long stretch. I found the walk really pleasant and a great way to settle yourself and mentally run through the lesson ahead. I have great memories of walking along in the sunshine saying aloud “Brakes are off, Undercarriage is down and fixed, Fuel is on and sufficient for go-around, Landing light is on, DI and compas are aligned, suction is positive and ammeter is charging, T&Ps are green, carb heat out no rough running, after 10, back in no subsequent rise in rpm, hatches and harnesses secure”. In fact every time I do the downwind checks I think of the path through the fields. It really helped to say out loud over and over again. You can take a bike on the tube after Leyton and after 9:30am so I did that a lot too. You could even lock a low value bike up at Theydon and then you don’t need to bring it on the tube every time.

Great you’re going to do the PPL
Matt

Nightstop
24th May 2022, 10:57
I did my PPL at SFC in 1973. I used to catch the train from Newbury Park to Theydon Bois, then get a bus to a stop near the airfield. I met and chatted with actor Milo O’Shea on a few of those bus trips. If I did it again though, I’d ask for Milo’s autograph and wear a yellow Hi Viz for the walk along the road.