PDA

View Full Version : Degree Requirment

sketch
6th Dec 2005, 00:01
What is Cathay's position on hiring pilot's with/without degrees? I am currently part way through my degree but also have a flying job making it difficult to commit to finishing the degree unless it really is a necessity at Cathay. Would a partially completed degree be viewed as better than nothing or carry the appearance of a dropout? (this is not the case: I have excellent academic standing at the university)

Also is there a danger in applying to Cathay too early (eg below their posted minimums) as a way of showing your interest and building a file?

Night Watch
6th Dec 2005, 02:48
sketch

A degree will not help with getting hired for CX..... experience and aircraft technical knowledge will. CX is looking for experience commiserate with age, so if so if you take time to do a degree, it must be of use to your career.

Don't bother sending an resume before you meet there min requirements, as they will not send you and application form. The only way to get on file is with an application form. (below the min.... goes in the bin)

My advice... if the degree is interfering with you flying career, put it on hold and finish it part time at a later date. You will need to acquire 3000TT and 1000 turbine before you are offered an interview, so the longer that takes.... well you get the picture.

flyingmogul
13th Dec 2005, 05:36
Go For It!!

Finish the degree as quickly as possible. May I ask what the field is?

I have recently finished my degree BCom Aviation Management, and dont have either 3000TT or 1000 Turbine, I've been called for my second interview early next year.

If you are the same as the next guy, how are they going to choose? if you have the degree you are standing out. You get the picture!

FM