PDA

View Full Version : LongHaul Pilots - favourite destination

dlav
5th Dec 2005, 22:42
Hi there, just a few random questions for most of you long haul guys and gals, id appreciate it if you could answer some of them.

What do you fly?
What's your favourite destination?
What do you do in the cruise?
What do you do downroute?

Just curious thats all :zzz: :ok:

Old Smokey
5th Dec 2005, 23:29
What do you fly? - Boeing 777

What's your favourite destination? - Manchester / Rome / San Francisco. Can't decide which but probably in that order. ALL of the destinations, excepting anywhere in India, are good destinations.

What do you do in the cruise? - All of the routine aircraft management, navigation management, and ATC management tasks. Beyond that, continuous up-dating of weather at a series of contingency airports en-route and all of the considerations in proceeding there, continuous awareness of en-route terrain in the event of depressurisation how low can you go, and where is best to go (considering terrain). Continuous process of 'extracting' optimum performance (speed / altitude / wind gradient etc.)

What do you do downroute? - Go to as many places as possible within the time constraints of the layover, e.g. Ireland / London / Scotland from Manchester, Berlin from Frankfurt etc. All other activities on Layovers are better left unsaid, my wife's a PProoner too!:O

Regards,

Old Smokey

dlav
6th Dec 2005, 12:45
anymore? Thanks for that Old Smokey

galaxy flyer
8th Dec 2005, 01:18
I like London, Moscow and most places in Europe or US. Usually don't have enough time to do too much.

Old Smokey--I've liked most of your technical answers, but Manch? Why??

GF

enicalyth
8th Dec 2005, 07:45
Finished with the job now but much the same as OS except bigger a/c with 2 more engines and less dramatic drift-down calcs.

I have worked with 2 big carriers and enjoy the outdoors so...

Vancouver – Stanley Park, Grouse Grind and other hikes, Gas Town, Steam Clock, Microbreweries.

Seattle- Pioneer Square, Snoqualmie and other hikes, Pike Place Market (where fish fly!), Microbreweries.

New York – Central Park, The Met, SoHo, art galleries

Singapore - aaahhh, Singers!

Hong Kong - aaahhhh Honkers!!

Cape Town - anything historical

Sydney - yup, what a city to live in.

dlav
8th Dec 2005, 22:33
Cheers guys keep them coming. Dont be shy :ok:

757manipulator
9th Dec 2005, 10:04
What do you fly? B767

What's your favourite destination?Home!!

What do you do in the cruise? Mostly the same as Old Smokey, but also, I Spy, spelling contests, paper scissors rock is also a favourite:}

What do you do downroute? attempt to maintain ones dignity on a ration of low alcohol beer:p

Cheers 757