PDA

View Full Version : Ysterplaat Airshow

GULF69
5th Dec 2005, 07:28
Hey All,

Shall we have some comments on the Ysterplaat air show?

I personally thought that Ysterplaat has hosted air show’s that were a lot more exciting. Was really looking forward to seeing the Rooivalk again, and some more aerobatic displays. Don’t get me wrong, the guys put a lot of effort into the show, and I had a nice time there, but as I mentioned, they have hosted better ones. I would have also liked to see a bigger variety of aircraft on static display.

The best performers to me were the Silver Falcons and the Red Bull Extra 300. Those guys REALLY know what they are doing. Congrats to the Lightning team for breaking the world Vertical Time record, AGAIN!

Tailspin2001
5th Dec 2005, 09:44
I have to say that I was disappointed with the show. I only managed the Friday last year and as it was only on the Saturday this year I was expecting a jam packed show. There were large gaps when nothing was happening and the Lightning chute failure and subsequent bolt to CPT sounded a bit planned!

Enjoyed having Ian Pringle on the PA describing what was going on when the Lightning did its record attempt rather then BE. Would love to see the view of being vertical as one goes through 30 000 feet. Heard the clearance he asked for and got at CPT the day before for his practice run. Straight ahead to 600 kts and then a climb averaging around 70 000 ft/min to FL300.

I was only able to get there at about noon but what I was hoping to see that wasn’t there, but was on the SAAF Museum website were Rooivalk, Cheetah’s x 3, Shak etc.

Although it was a cloudless hot day the pilots did a good job in coping with the strong wind, which was fortunately down the runway.

Ts

glimmerman_alpha
5th Dec 2005, 11:30
I agree that the airshow wasnt mindblowing.Heard that some one with a handheld was on the freq before the show or somethimg like that....

Also Way too much time between the different displays!

Deanw
5th Dec 2005, 13:49
I finally have my report and photos uploaded!

Quick link to http://www.saairforce.co.za/yplt05/

(Full URL is http://www.saairforce.co.za).

Enjoy!

(But yes, the show was only 10% SAAF!)

5th Dec 2005, 14:45
What a day, how lucky we are to be able to see this type of show in a city. It had all the right ingredients, but could be better next year. Here are some (meant to be) constructive comments:

It was too streeeeetched out. Best to get aircraft into holds and bang them in rapidly? Why did we only see one Buccaneer and Lightning display, no Rooivalk, and so many quiet small things? Some stunning solo displays, but probably too much me-too small formation stuff.

Despite the comments, well done SAAF, keep it up.

cessna747-400
7th Dec 2005, 15:37
in regards to the ysterplaat airshow, shame, Mr Beachy-Head is very busy to have all his hunters and lightnings and buccs flying at every nearby airshow. its also a huge schlepp for the one sparky and the other fitters and turners there to haul the start up equipment around every time. having worked there, its quite a major event even to start up one kite. i always miss the supersonic booms though, bredasdorp is a 'legal' place to BOOM.

4HolerPoler
8th Dec 2005, 17:12
There was a side-show when the Shack blew a piss-cat away - the pic's here. (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/972435/L/) Prop-wash/ Jet-blast is for real.

4HP

Gunship
11th Dec 2005, 08:08
Amazing photo while the incident was still happening !

It counts as 8 props doesn't it ? :E

11th Dec 2005, 19:21
Oops, prop dust! Same pilot did the Lightning record, pretty smart guy, I bet he wished for more gravitas, the weight difference between the pc and the Lightning is about 20, 000 Kg..............

Deanw
12th Dec 2005, 05:06
Not the only incident due to 'propwash'.

When the Super Frelon arrived at Ysters and hover-taxiied along the taxiway late Friday afternoon, it blew at least three speakers from atop their stands (some may say that is a good thing :E ), all the plastic rubbish bins and the entire length of fence, which collapsed ontop of the group of photographers taking piccies of the Super Frelon.

Gunship
14th Dec 2005, 10:45
So the same OC of Ysters gave Jerry Bro the trekpas ... he had an interesting week .... :E

MysticFlyer
14th Dec 2005, 11:01
Solly (the yster that he is) came in the k@k with our OC too, he walked with mud on his shoes onto my silk persians....after he left the kitchen in a mess too!

She got him with the broom while chasing him outside!

MF:}