PDA

View Full Version : The Commitments

MaxNr
3rd Nov 1998, 20:26
Hi Guys,
Having never worked in the UK or anywhere other than Canada for that matter, maybe one of you could answer this one...... Reading RBS`s comments on North Sea hiring and firing practices on another thread, just what sort of commitment do companies (outside of Canada) expect from its pilots or is it all take and no give on the companies part??? Is "Bonding" a common practice and if so,how do you all feel about this??
Thanks in Advance....MaxNr

SiClick
4th Nov 1998, 22:43
Yes unfortunately in the UK with Police ops and on the North Sea bonding appears to be the norm. It usually works that at the end of your training you owe them a sum, which varies on the cost of your training between 5 and 10 thousand pounds. This sum will decrease to zero over a period between one and 3 years. If you leave before the bond expires you have to pay back what you owe them if they sack you or go bust you don't normally have to pay anything back.
It seems to be the way companies buy loyalty as inevitably the terms and conditions are not enough to keep people and by the time the bond expires, people are less inclined to throw away what seniority they have aquired with perhaps the lure of captaincy not to far off.
I don't like it but I think bonding is here to stay.

Hover
1st Dec 1998, 23:15
I do know of a few fellows who have undergone conversion training with every intent of moving to a higher paying company upon completion, so I understand the companies need to protect themselves, but bonding long-term employees who've earned the new endorsement seems unfair. Has anyone ever heard of someone having to pay back their training costs? How common is bonding in Canada?

Curious Canuck
4th Dec 1998, 22:30
I am Dual rated in Canadaand have found that bonding is more common in the FW world in Canada. Most RW VFR jobs are seasonal so they can only expect the summer from you while most IFR jobs are longer term, hence the commitment. The commitment for IFR over here is usually a gentlemans agreement ie. we would like a year or 2 from you minimum type of thing. I haven't crossed anyone looking for a training bond in the IFR world, however I am rated in 61/76 so I stick to what I already have. As far as FW they want to bond the youg guys so they don't jump to a regional in a year, personally I don't work for any of these companies, I've had good success finding both FW and RW companies who will take me on a handshake. I know this is long and rambling but I hope it gives some insight to Canada for you.

pitchlink
5th Dec 1998, 01:06
Nice to see that gentlemens agreements still exist your side of the water. This side, namely North sea, bondings are the norm. At the moment I believe it to be around three years for an initial rating, and two to three years for an instrument rating depending on previous experience! At least with the introduction of JAR OPS one will have to have both to work on the North sea and so both bondings will run concurrently. Previously, you would just about have paid off you initial rating when the instrument rating came along and you would have to start all over again!

Curious Canuck
5th Dec 1998, 22:47
Interesting to hear how things work in the North Sea, it seems thay are a little different here. As far as an instrument rating goes there are some excellent IFR schools in Canada where a fellow can get an IFR ticket on his/her own nickel and then when you do your PPC on type you have to do the instrument portion with it anyway. Most schools combine simulator and light airplane time to keep the costs down and then finish a fellow up on a R-22 or similar type. I don't think I've heard of guys getting into long term bonding situations unless they are fresh 100 CPL pilots and the company has paid for the IFR rating, which is very rare. Most companies tell guys to get an IFR ticket and then come back with resume in hand. I personally got my tickets in the CAF but have worked with many civil trained pilots in the last few years and have foung most to be quite good. I don't think anyone needs to sell his soul for a job even if he is a newbie. Let's face it though if you are lucky enough to score an IFR job in Canada with very low time, why would you quit in less than 2 years anyway. Most companies are straight when they hire you and you are getting great experience! Leave if you must down the road with no hard feelings!!
Sounds like things are different in our little world across the pond. Best of luck and keep the the sunny side up!!!!

Curious Canuck
5th Dec 1998, 22:48
Interesting to hear how things work in the North Sea, it seems thay are a little different here. As far as an instrument rating goes there are some excellent IFR schools in Canada where a fellow can get an IFR ticket on his/her own nickel and then when you do your PPC on type you have to do the instrument portion with it anyway. Most schools combine simulator and light airplane time to keep the costs down and then finish a fellow up on a R-22 or similar type. I don't think I've heard of guys getting into long term bonding situations unless they are fresh 100 CPL pilots and the company has paid for the IFR rating, which is very rare. Most companies tell guys to get an IFR ticket and then come back with resume in hand. I personally got my tickets in the CAF but have worked with many civil trained pilots in the last few years and have foung most to be quite good. I don't think anyone needs to sell his soul for a job even if he is a newbie. Let's face it though if you are lucky enough to score an IFR job in Canada with very low time, why would you quit in less than 2 years anyway. Most companies are straight when they hire you and you are getting great experience! Leave if you must down the road with no hard feelings!!
Sounds like things are different in our little world across the pond. Best of luck and keep the the sunny side up!!!!