PDA

View Full Version : "The new DHC-6-400"

PropStrap
3rd Dec 2005, 17:18
Heres for all those Twatter lovers. Just when you thought the Twin Otter couldn't get any better, Scenic Airlines in Las Vages boasts about their new line of 400s. What do you think Rusty?
http://www.scenicops.com/scenicpilot/aircraft.html

B Sousa
3rd Dec 2005, 17:38
Nice looking Aircraft, but like the old ones they get their ass kicked over the ditch on a daily basis when its windy.........

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd Dec 2005, 18:17
Nice looking bird. She appears pretty quick on those two old -27s with the gear tucked away. Not sure if the retracting mechanism would limit your payload a bit, though.

Not sure how the -400 handles but landing in gusting winds is all a matter of technique in the -300 and lower. She can get a bit squirrely with that low wing loading unless you have the digit extracted.

Guess you could say that for any aircraft with those characterisitcs.

Shrike200
4th Dec 2005, 04:35
Yeah, and I don't think retracts are going to add another 50 kts to the cruise either!!! Good one guys...

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Dec 2005, 04:54
Mmmmm....:suspect:

If you take a look at the old bag, there's a serious amount of Dunlops dangling in the breeze. Clean that up and you may have a nice machine.

They do appear somewhat optimistic on the -300 as well, though.....:ok:

PropStrap
4th Dec 2005, 14:53
Having been there for over a year I never saw the 400s. I bet they keep those the higher ups. Retracts just scream out class.
I have to hand it to those brave boys and girls flying over the Ditch, its hard to keep it straight and level while trying to give the tour. The time I spent there was a blast. Cheers from the Congo.

V1... Ooops
6th Dec 2005, 06:38
Having been there for over a year I never saw the 400s...
That's because they don't exist, the webmaster of that site is just having a little fun with everyone.

de Havilland did investigate the possibility of providing a retractable nosewheel on the DHC-6 in the early 1980s, however, by the time all the work was done, sales had dropped off to the point where it was not really economically justifiable to go ahead with all the re-tooling that would be needed.

A retractable nosewheel would have provided a worthwhile increase in both cruise speed and range, in addition to providing better single engine performance under marginal conditions.

They never did pursue the idea of retractable main gear for the aircraft - it just didn't make sense. There is no-where within the existing fuselage that the gear could be retracted into, which means some kind of external fairing for the gear would be needed - kind of like an ATR. In addition, retractable gear would not be as strong as fixed gear - not a big concern for the nosewheel, but a major concern for the main gear, considering that the aircraft is primarily used on unimproved surfaces.

Michael

PropStrap
6th Dec 2005, 17:59
Boy some people are so criticle sometimes. Guess its in the blood. The idea of putting this on the net was to bring a bit of humor to the site. Anyone who has any time in Otters knows that the 400 is not a real bird. But good try, you obviously didn't see the humor in this. See you when you get back chief.

Solid Rust Twotter
6th Dec 2005, 18:11
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio....:ok: