PDA

View Full Version : FAA job, can i use hrs flown as FAA pilot as my JAA TT?

Danny_manchester
3rd Dec 2005, 16:16
Can i fly in the USA, and convert my licenses and apply for a job in the UK, and use my FAA times as TT?

thanks

portsharbourflyer
3rd Dec 2005, 18:03
Yes you can do FAA licenses, convert and the hours will count.

To convert an FAA Cpl IR to JAA you will need to sit the 14 JAA atpl exams, the cpl conversion is "training as required". To convert the FAA IR, you will need to do a minimum of 15 additional hours training in the UK and the flight test.

However where the FAA system does differ is that under the FAA system you can log safety pilot time, which you cannot log under the JAA system. Some schools in the states offer what appears to be really cheap multi engine time building schemes, quite often on these schemes you will fly half the time under "the hood" or "screens" to simulate instrument flying, the other half you will fly as the safety pilot; under FAA both can log the time, but JAA will only recognise the hours when you are flying under the "screens".

Danny_manchester
3rd Dec 2005, 18:13
Thanks!!, what is the safety flying though?

portsharbourflyer
3rd Dec 2005, 18:27
Danny,

When doing practice instrument flying in visual flight conditions you will have your vision of the outside world restricted artificially, either by foggles or screens therefore it becomes necessary to carry another pilot to observe for other air traffic. This observor is the safety pilot.