PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone

VH-RMV
3rd Dec 2005, 02:02
Hi everyone,

I'll take this opportunity to introduce myself to you all, since I've now posted a couple of times. I'm a fourth (soon to be fifth) year law student at the University of Melbourne, and I am interested in practising in the area of aviation law. I wanted to be a professional pilot, but alas it was not to be on medical grounds. Whilst I was in high school, I was in the Victorian Air Training Corp (RAAF cadets). I was lucky enough to obtain one week's work experience at QANTAS Heavy Maintenance at Tullamarine, where I spent time with the AMEs and LAMEs on the B733 and B734. I have also worked part time as a general hand at Executive Airlines (based at Essendon Airport) whilst I've been at uni. Some of the best experiences of my life were when I rode in the jumpseats of QF B734s VH-TJM (MEL-CBR) and VH-TJP (CBR-MEL). To be on the flightdeck from before pushback, all the way to shutdown, was a wonderful experience for an enthusiast like me. Needless to say, as this occurred prior to Sept 11, I doubt I'll ever get the chance to do it again. I've got the photos I took as keepsakes, and I remain eternally grateful to the QF pilots involved.

I don't pretend to be an expert on all matters aviation, but I'm hoping to learn from this forum. I will only contribute when I feel I'll add value to a discussion.

RMV

3 slips and a gully
3rd Dec 2005, 02:19
Cheers mate - best of luck (hope you don't need it)

:ok:

huntsman
3rd Dec 2005, 03:52
there's always a bright side - inside 10 years you'll probably be in the highest earners on this website.

good luck

HI'er
3rd Dec 2005, 05:08
I will only contribute when I feel I'll add value to a discussion.There are only 24 hours in each day - and keybads have a finite life you know!

All the best with your career. :ok:

Pass-A-Frozo
3rd Dec 2005, 05:21
The posts on this website should keep you busy for the next ten years :p

You'll probably end up the happiest out of everyone if you can earn a lot and fly for fun instead or work!

RENURPP
3rd Dec 2005, 05:43
VH-RMV
Welcome.
There is a lot of negative rubbish posted here, no doubt you have already seen some. The posters come from all areas of the industry, it will very interesting to see more input from your area of the industry.

Cheers

tinpis
3rd Dec 2005, 06:59
If you added value to a discussion in here it would be a first..:hmm:

:{

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/RMV.jpg

Buster Hyman
3rd Dec 2005, 09:42
GeeZuz! Uni students have infiltrated us...and he's got photos!!!! :ooh:

Enjoy & good luck RMV!:ok:

PS. Watch out for posters from QLD...they're all PRlCKS!:E :ouch:

Essential Buzz
3rd Dec 2005, 11:05
My 2 cents worth ... Stick with Law as a career. Hopefully it should provide you with more long-term benefit and less lifestyle disruption than aviation - particularly as Australian airline flying heads down the "cheap is best" path. I have a daughter also doing Law at Melbourne and have given her the same fatherly advice.

BTW, like the handle ... flew that aeroplane on occasions 20 plus years ago, before it went to Wien Air Alaska. (circa 1983)

john_tullamarine
3rd Dec 2005, 11:05
.. ah ... RMV in the old colours ... pure magic ...

alidad
3rd Dec 2005, 11:48
Another good experience would be to meet the troops at the AFAP in Melbourne (Australian Federation of Air Pilots).
Your enthusiasm for things aeronautical and most importantly a good education could service all of us well.

Go have a chat to Laurie Cox and Co: 03 9699 4200

Good Luck

ThrillHouse
3rd Dec 2005, 12:38
ZOMGHi2U Wanna cyber?

tinpis
3rd Dec 2005, 19:53
.. ah ... RMV in the old colours ... pure magic ..

And she would of had a magic crew them days John..........:{

OpsNormal
3rd Dec 2005, 23:51
Last I was aware (OK, this dates 10 years ago) "RMV" was on an Archer at what once was Axis Av at BK.

The Voice
4th Dec 2005, 02:00
ah hem .. Watch out for posters from QLD...they're all PRlCKS! all ??

some of us luck out when it comes to that particular appendage .. ;)

VH-RMV
4th Dec 2005, 02:23
Thank you very much for all your welcoming comments, good advice and kind wishes for my future! All the comments are very much appreciated. :ok:

I love the pic of the bona fide VH-RMV! :D

alidad: Thanks for the contact number and suggestion. When I get the chance, I'll give the AFAP a call to see if I can be of any assistance. I'm not aware of any law schools in Melbourne offering a substantive aviation law based subject. This means that if I want to head in that direction, the onus will fall on me to conduct my own research/learning. I'm more than happy to do this. Combining a personal interest with work is not a bad idea! Within constitutional and administrative law, one finds a fair number of aviation based cases arising, although they tend to relate to matters such as challenges to the validity of taxation, the external affairs power, and ministerial/delegated decision making. Interestingly, the bulk of cases dealing with aviation matters that's been studied as part of Con and Admin (a law subject) are rather old.

Once again, thanks for the kind welcome!

Cheers,

RMV