PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft on fire at Cape Town Intl

Romeo E.T.
2nd Dec 2005, 16:03
Just before pushback at CPT INTL at 13h50b we heard a desperate plea from someone on ZS-NDC saying that a red aircraft in front of the Safair hangar was on fire. It took the fire services over 3 minutes to drive the short distance from the fire control tower to the Safair hangar, this distance cannot be more than 300metres. The aircraft that was on fire was a BEAUTIFULL red with white stripes JAK52. Fortunatelly from our view point on the main apron, there didnt seem to be a raging inferno, just alot of white smoke, maybe the aircraft is not to seriouslly damaged.

Congrats to the observant student and instructor in ZS-NDC for allerting ground frequency.

Does anyone have more info as to the source of the fire, amount of damage, will it fly again???

terminator 112
4th Dec 2005, 06:13
Romeo E.T.

I had a fire on start up! You hear about this and are trained for it but never expect it. The aircraft is infact a Yak18T that we have had alot of enjoyable flights with since we brought her down from PE in August, averaging about 20hrs a month. The fire damage is limited to the cockpit interior starting from behind the firewall above the Pilot's feet. The rest of the aircraft is untouched, so, yes, we do anticipate her flying again but I don't think it would be anything less than maybe six months from now.

I would like to thank the crew that made the call to the fire services, I think they did that before anyone else managed to reach a telephone. If that had happened anywhere else, the plane would probably have been totally distroyed.

Now, just a friendly note to those of us that take things for granted. Find those notes you made about fire on start up while you were training. We were reminded of this when we did our conversion onto this aircraft. DO NOT buckle up, close your door or put your headphones on before you have started the engine!

As I swung the motor, there was a loud bang, a flash that singed the hair on my arms and burnt the shoe laces to my shoe. At the same instant, the cockpit filled with smoke that I could not see the door handle behind me (I had closed my door but not latched it thank heavens). From the time of the start till I jumped off the wing was about 6 seconds. A buckeld harness, a closed door and headphones that would restrict your hearing, would all add precious time to your escape!

See you all soon again and happy flying!

Solid Rust Twotter
4th Dec 2005, 18:55
Yikes!:ooh:

Glad you're OK but really sorry about your baby...:(

Luck getting her back in the air.:ok:

stressmerchant
4th Dec 2005, 19:05
Nice to get the details direct from source. Thanks.

Any idea what actually caused the fire?

Sorry about the damage, but at least it sounds as though it will fly again.

Blue skies