PDA

View Full Version : New pilotless aircraft research centre opens

Pass-A-Frozo
2nd Dec 2005, 11:50
Source:
ABC (http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200512/s1521208.htm)

New pilotless aircraft research centre opens
Pilotless aircraft could soon be flying over Queensland skies.

A $3.5 million Australian Research Centre for Aerospace Automation was officially launched in Brisbane today.

The facility will be based at the Brisbane Airport and will allow Queensland University of Technology and CSIRO researchers to develop and test pilotless aircraft.

The centre's director, QUT Professor Rod Walker, says the unmanned aviation vehicles (UAVs) have both defence and civil applications.

"People are talking about using them for so-called armchair farming," he said.

"The farmers sending out cheap UAVs to find where the stock is on large properties or using them for remote sensing purposes on businesses to improve the productivity of our sugar crops say and other crops we have in Australia.

"Protecting our borders with UAVs is a big application."

The centre was officially launched by the Deputy Premier, Anna Bligh.

Ms Bligh says the State Government-funded facility will position Queensland at the forefront of the latest aviation technology.

"This is the future of aviation," she said.

"This is the next most significant development internationally in aviation and Queensland wants to be at the cutting edge of that.

"We will in this centre develop the capacity to take this technology to the world."

Mr.Buzzy
2nd Dec 2005, 21:29
"This is the future of aviation," she said.
"This is the next most significant development internationally in aviation and Queensland wants to be at the cutting edge of that.
"We will in this centre develop the capacity to take this technology to the world."

And we will hold the world to ransom for.....(nibbling on little finger)..... one million dollars..... hahahahahahahah

Jeeez luv.... don't get too carried away!

bbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ronnie Honker
2nd Dec 2005, 21:50
It's about time Queensland entered the 20th Century - maybe in a decade or two they'll be ready for the 21st - and saved their money.
UAV's of the type they're going to "develop", have been around for close to 20 years. The US used them in the first Iraq War, and again in Afghanistan.
"Protecting our borders with UAVs is a big application."From what, an invasion of fruit flies?
Have I missed something? Protect their borders??!!
Has Queensland sealed its borders to prevent those "Mexicans" from south of the border invading the Gold Coast?

Someone is ripping the Q'ld State Government off for $3.5 million, for something that's already flying.

Now, I have an idea for a device that will skin and decore pineapples.
I wonder if the Q'ld Gov't is interested in sponsoring ME for a couple of mil to "develop" it :E

Vee Won Kutt
6th Dec 2005, 00:00
I am sure Mr. Dixon will get the board of the Qantas brand to sponsor the project.

Let’s put vending machines in the cabin, Dr Who’s Daleks wearing CSO uniforms in the terminals (exterminate), reduce the baggage allowance for passengers to 0kg should solve the problem of those pesky baggage handlers- Now if only someone could start researching robotic engineers - wait what was I thinking!! If they got rid of aircraft altogether they wouldn't need any staff at all - That would make Dixon smile.

Apophis
6th Dec 2005, 00:42
did they know you can buy most of this stuff of the shelf at your local hobby shop or off the net why do we need a multi $ research joint .

Buster Hyman
6th Dec 2005, 00:57
I just checked this out over at PPARuNe (Professional Pilotless Aircraft Rumour Network)...they're very quiet on this one!:suspect:

Vee Won Kutt
6th Dec 2005, 01:36
Year 2105

Qantas celebrates 185th birthday!

During a special award ceremony Geoff Dixon handed the 'Faithful Service Award' to robotic employee number 0001. Mr Dixon stated how proud he was of all his robots "...they work 24 hours a day, never grumble about their pay or lack of it, never call in sick, never use staff travel, and they never post nasty articles about me or the Qantas brand on the internet.....".
He continued"....It has been 85 years since robotic employee number 0001 started with our group of companies that now total nearly as many as our total robotic staff, and 75 years since our last human staff member was made redundant..."
When asked why he hadn't smiled in nearly three quarters of a century, considering the amazing improvement in employee productivity over the last 100 years, Mr Dixon only mumbled something through his bionic lips that sounded like ".....no staff to scr*w over..."

Since I can't seem to attach a picture of this ceremony check out:

Qantas Award Ceremony (http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/content/image_galleries/galleries_davros_gallery.shtml?2)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/norfolk/content/images/2005/03/15/davros_daleks_resurrection_terry_malloy_400_400x300.jpg

Pass-A-Frozo
6th Dec 2005, 05:32
hehe... nice photo!

Give it time - eventually pilots will lose their jobs to computers!

Although I think you'd see Air Traffic Controllers losing their one first. Easier to automate traffic control >FL200 given the correct comms links.

Captain Sand Dune
7th Dec 2005, 00:43
And how keen do think the punters will be to fork out for the pleasure of sitting in an un-manned aircraft?

"Nothing can go wrong..go wrong..go wrong.."

Buster Hyman
7th Dec 2005, 00:51
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm cannot open the landing gear doors."

Pass-A-Frozo
7th Dec 2005, 00:55
And how keen do think the punters will be to fork out for the pleasure of sitting in an un-manned aircraft?

Exactly why I said eventually :p Needs generational change. Also exactly why I think ATC will go first.