PDA

View Full Version : iMac questions for a Windows convert

Binoculars
2nd Dec 2005, 11:22
OK, I've done it. The cash situation got an unexpected boost so I went out and purchased my first Mac. So here I am in front of my iMac G5, and mightily impressed with what I have seen so far. Most Windows equivlents are fairly easy to find and the process so far has been relatively painless, BUT I cannot enlarge my browser window to full screen view. Searching for full screen or full page brought nothing of use, so at the moment I am stuck with a window taking up approx 60% of the page. Where is the full screen option? :confused:

I'm sure I'll be back here relatively frequently in the short term. hence the generalised thread title, but this one will do me for now. :ok:

Oh, should have mentioned that I've tried the maximise button of course; it toggles between small and slightly larger.

AppleMacster
2nd Dec 2005, 12:06
Binoculars; Welcome to Macintosh!

You need to drag out the window from the bottom right corner to fill the full screen. If you haven't already done so, you can hide the Dock using System Preferences>Dock to give you more screen space. Safari will remember this window size setting. If you're still having problems, or resizing windows a lot, you can add a script to your bookmarks bar to do it from here (http://www.apple.com/applescript/safari/bookmarks.html) (it's the one at the bottom).

You can minimize the window to the Dock by clicking the yellow button. Double-clicking on the title bar of the window will also minimize the window to the Dock (if enabled in System Preferences>Appearance).

Don't forget to switch on Tabbed Browsing in the Safari preferences, to take full advantage of the browser.

AppleMacster.

Binoculars
2nd Dec 2005, 12:23
Thanks Macster; one problem solved! When the cursor didn't change to an arrow I didn't think there was a function there!

Next up, while I'll be gettiing a copy of Office over the weekend and using the email program on there, whose name escapes me, at the moment I'm just using Mac Mail. In OE I was subscribed to several newsgroups; do they exist in the Mac program?

I confess I miss the right click function from XP, and having to go to File - Move to Trash for a folder instead of just clicking Delete. Any other hints feel free to throw them this way.

AppleMacster
2nd Dec 2005, 12:37
Bino': glad to help.

Entourage, which comes with Office has newsgroups, and you will be able to subscribe to them as before.

You can "right-click" on a Mac by holding down the ctrl button as you click with the mouse.

However, if you got a new "Mighty Mouse" with your iMac G5 (it has a trackball on it), you will be able to "right-click" with that. It appears to have no buttons, but actually has four. To use the "right-click", use the area right of the trackball, without a finger on the left of the trackball at the same time.

You can set up the Mighty Mouse using System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse. Right-clicking is referred to as "Secondary Button". You could set the other buttons to various things, for example Dashboard activation and Exposé are amongst the most popular.

AppleMacster

Binoculars
2nd Dec 2005, 12:52
Hehehe, this is like having 24/7 online support from someone who speaks English! Thanks again, Macster, another problem solved, mighty mouse it is, and right click now established in preferences. :ok:

I'll know where to come for future problems; oooh, hang on, my End button and Home button don't appear to work; I'm sure they do, I just need another tip.

Could provoke laziness I know, but Binoette 4 thinks this is probably the smoothest thing her old man has ever done!

AppleMacster
2nd Dec 2005, 12:59
Bino': You have to program the Home button to work. Safari>Preferences>General

End button? Not sure what you mean?

AppleMacster

Binoculars
2nd Dec 2005, 13:05
Ahh, I see. Not Home as in home page, rather the "home" and "end" buttons on the keyboard which take the cursor to either the beginning or the end of the current line (when composing a post or generally editing text).

Daysleeper
3rd Dec 2005, 07:30
Hehehe, this is like having 24/7 online support from someone who speaks English!

You are aware that we are charging your internet connection for tech support at standard industry rates blah blah

I reckon you owe $300 so far :p

Binos did you get the iMac with the built in iSight camera?

Binoculars
3rd Dec 2005, 10:47
Yessir, surely did. It is waaaaaaay too efficient I'm afraid. I like cheap webcams that hide the horrible truth, not magnify it to the point of scaring babies. :{

Macster, I take your point about doing all this via PM, and if the mods decide that's how it should be done, I'm happy to go along, but I really think I won't be the only one learning things as it progresses; plenty of others in the same conversion boat.

Readers are warned that the following questions may be considered offensive by some. :ooh:

I didn't get the expected number of software installation discs with the package. What happens if the hard drive should (gasp!) fail? How do I reinstall software? Is there such a thing as formatting a hard drive on the Mac? No DOS prompt of course, but hey, come on, somebody in the history of Apple must have destroyed a HDD?

AppleMacster
3rd Dec 2005, 12:22
You should have found a couple of disks in the box. One of them will be a reinstall disk: it's a DVD-ROM if I recall correctly, which means you don't need lots of CDs . If the hard disk crashes (unlikely), you can reboot from the disk by holding down the "c" key on restart.

Trip Switch
3rd Dec 2005, 12:22
Bino

My I offer my hearty congratulations to you for taking the plunge. Pretty soon, you'll wonder why on earth anybody would EVER buy a PC. Macs are what PCs can only dream of being. I've used Macs for 12 years and am currently running three. The best way of explaining is that you have to learn how to use a PC, but with Mac, it takes that pain away! Everything you ever wanted is there, just in more logical speak. To be fair, a lot of this has to do with Monsieur Gates, but hey, that's their problem.

If you find that you miss certain software that was only available on PC, don't worry, you can still run it with a package called Virtual PC (Microsoft - he had to get something right).

You can now wander around with that knowing "PC? Oh, you poor dear" smile that comes free with every Mac. ;)

Ejnoy, and please feel free to ask any time, via thread or PM

Welcome to the family

Trips

Daysleeper
3rd Dec 2005, 18:46
Yessir, surely did. It is waaaaaaay too efficient I'm afraid. I like cheap webcams that hide the horrible truth, not magnify it to the point of scaring babies.

Cheers, I've got the external iSight for use with my powerbook + wifes iBook we're thinking of a iMAC in the new year so if the built in camera is good then I can take the other to work and video conf home to my daughter. At the moment we use it for iChat with granny!

Wonderworld
4th Dec 2005, 11:24
Bino
The keyboard shortcut I use when using Mac mail instead of the end key which doesnt work is Apple key and right arrow key will take you to the end of the line. Same as Apple key and the up arrow take you to the home position of what ever it is your writing. It took me ages to get around the end key not working like it did on a windows machine but it's worth it.
From memory once you get Office and you start using Entourage for your email the end key will work in the Microsoft application. Also you can subscribe easily to newsgroups with Entourage. For heaps of other support be sure to check the Support Forums at apple.com and also www.appletalk.com.au is very worthwhile.
I'm sure you will enjoy your iMac. Welcome to the club :ok:

Binoculars
4th Dec 2005, 11:53
I was hoping I'd seen the last of WMP, but I suppose whenever somebody sends me a .wmv file I'm going to have to have it, right? It is on my Office CD, so not a real problem.

But what is a problem on my Office CD is that the file which is obviously the exe file for installation doesn't seem to want to open. It's MS Office 2004 OSX .sit The response is; There is no default aplication specified to open the document MS Office 2004 OSX .sit Choose application. :confused: :confused: I wondered if there should be a space between OSX and .sit, tried to rename it but that option doesn't appear to be available.

AppleMacster
4th Dec 2005, 12:02
Binos,

That's very strange. Sounds like you need Stuffit Expander (http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/), although in my experience, just double-clicking on the install application should be enough. If I recall correctly, you need to remove the Office "Test Drive" that was pre-installed on your iMac with the "Remove Test Drive" application on your Hard Disk. Put the Office CD in and click on the "Microsoft Office 2004" icon. It should then be a question of following the straightforward onscreen prompts.

Binoculars
4th Dec 2005, 13:21
Hmmm. Some interesting results after that download. Suffice to say I think I'll take my copy of Office back to Honest Abdul's Genuine Software (Same address for two mind-boggling weeks!~). Until then, I'll take the Fifth. :uhoh:

Trip Switch
4th Dec 2005, 21:09
Bino

You can download the latest Windows Media Player for Mac OSX here:

Windows Media Player (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx?displang=en&qstechnology=) (free)

Go down the page until you get the "Windows Media Player 9 for Mac OS X" (it's a .sitx file so you'll need Stuffit Expander - see below).

With some software installations, as opposed to trying to open the installer from the disc, all you have to do is drag the icon into the applications folder and it will do it all for you.

Whilst I think about it, there is another little glitch in the system that you may or may not come across. For some it never rears it's ugly head - depends if you're using Panther or Tiger, but just in case it does.......

For some reason the Times RO font will prevent you from downloading/installing/updating. Your Mac doesn't need it and unless you do particularly, you can safely disable/remove it. First, double click your hard disc icon and under 'Applications', double click 'Font Book'. In the left hand column, click 'All Fonts' and then use the slider of the right hand column to go down until you get to 'Times' (note: don't look in the Times CY or Times New Roman fonts). Click the little arrow to the left to expand the file and then click on one of the fonts i.e. 'Regular'. Then, under 'Preview' (on the top bar) click 'Show font info'. Move the cursor back down over the Times fonts (Regular/Italic/Bold etc.) and after a second or so a yellow box should appear giving you the font details. Look for the ones that have 'Times RO' at the end of the Path line. All the ones that have, you can either disable (under 'Edit') or remove entirely (under 'File'). Once done, quit out and restart your Mac. Should be trouble free updating and installing.

Sorry if this has been a bit long winded - trying to keep it in human speak!

Trips

Oh forgot to say, AppleMacster is spot on the money with Stuffit Expander. Download your free copy from the link he\'s given. Then, when you double click the .sit or .sitx file, Stuffit should automatically open and when you select it to expand it'll put a copy of the file on your Desktop. And no, ordinarily there shouldn't be a space between OSX and .sit. If you need to remove it, drag the .sit file onto your Desktop and then change it from there.

Trips

Binoculars
5th Dec 2005, 13:32
Sorry to say, NOT a good day for the convert. To those who hear that you can be up and running out of the box in fifteen minutes, just remember to add one small codicil; unless everything you want to transfer has been done on Windows machines for fourteen years.

Finder is driving me mad, even got to the stage where the whole system hung when Finder refused to go away; "Choose an application to start setup.exe" or words to that effect. I'm sick to death of seeing it. Office X won't read any .doc files I try to import, so I removed it ( I think) by dragging it to the trash. Tried to reinstall and when clicking the sitx file I get told "The destination folder "MS Office +" is on a locked volume. Please select another destination". A locked fcuking what????? Windows Explorer, I apologise profusely for my recent abuse.

Import Bookmarks scoffs and doesn't even bother un-greying the Import button when I present it my current list on a memory stick, I've been to the ends of the internet trying to find a Mac printer driver for my Canon bubblejet, finally got one, downloaded it now I can't find it, importing email folders....dbx files??? don't make me laugh; application please! rtf files? likewise ...etc etc... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! damn damn bugger fcuk! I've had enough. I'm back on my Dell taking strong drink to get over the disaster of the day.

Not happy Jan!!!!! grrrr, bah humbug, grumble grizzle grump. I feel like Mr Draper. Oh well, at least it's Tuesday tomorrow, err, make that today.....:uhoh:

AppleMacster
5th Dec 2005, 14:36
Binos,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. The finder is asking you to choose an application to open your .exe file because it can't open it. This is because it's a Windows file. One of the major joys of the Mac operating system is that it isn't Windows, ergo it can't open .exe files.

The kosher version of Microsoft Office is very simple to install, and doesn't contain any .sit files.

A locked destination is usually referring to a disk to which you cannot write, eg. a finalized CD-ROM.

Apple provide help and support on moving your stuff to the Mac:
Switch (http://www.apple.com/switch)
Support (http://www.apple.com/support)
Discussion fora (http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa)

You might find your Canon printer driver in the Documents folder (depending on how you've set-up Safari). You can also search for it using the swift "Spotlight" technology, accessed using the Blue magnifying glass in the top right hand of your screen, or by pressing Apple-Spacebar.

AppleMacster

Trip Switch
5th Dec 2005, 15:43
Bino

Slowly, slowly, catchy the monkey!

As AM says, the Kosher version of Office X has no .sit files. To get rid of it, simply dragging it to the trash won't do. Part of the Office suite includes 'Remove Office' (Applications - Microsoft Office - Additional Tools)

This'll get rid of all the hidden files you can't see.

If you want a talk through for the rest of it, send a PM.

Trips

Golden Ticket
8th Dec 2005, 10:35
Bino's have you thought about trying Open Office instead of Microsoft Office

http://download.openoffice.org/2.0.0/index.html

I can't say how good it is on a Mac, maybe a Mac user can, but it's fine on the PC and it's free. I've just read the instructions on using it on Mac OS X, it seems complicated so maybe better to stick to trying to get MS Office to play the game.

Mind you did anyone imagine that Microsoft could get their office suite to work on a Mac. They have enough trouble with Windows.

Binoculars
8th Dec 2005, 13:03
I actually went out and bought the genuine Office today (jeez it pisses me off when a big fancy looking box contains a CD and a little instruction manual.)

Had to go out tonight so I'll attack the Office situation again tomorrow, but in the meantime, once in MSN Messenger, how on earth do I invite somebody to receive my webcam? This is one thing I really didn't expect to be asking, I mean how basic can it get? And a search on Mac Help throws up no results on webcam or iSight! :confused: :confused:

Trip Switch
8th Dec 2005, 20:23
Bino

Back at home tomorrow night. Will go through it then, if someone hasn't posted before then.

Trips

AppleMacster
9th Dec 2005, 07:56
Binos,

Microsoft have decided not to support Video or Audio on the Mac version of MSN Messenger, so you can't do it. However, people can get a free "screenname" from AOL Instant Messenger (http://www.aim.com) which can be used with iChat, as the backbone network for iChat is AIM. This way, it is possible to use video and audio chat with PC users using your iSight and iChat. One doesn't always have to be forced into submission by Microsoft, and the AOL/iChat solution works fine.

The Mac development of OpenOffice has stalled. When I last tried it out (around a year ago), it was nowhere near as developed as the other versions, which is a shame, as it is a good application on other platforms.

AppleMacster

Binoculars
9th Dec 2005, 09:30
Good old Microsoft, eh? Does that mean everybody I talk to has to get AIM as well?

Signed,

Pissed off, of Mackay..

AppleMacster
9th Dec 2005, 14:55
Binos,

They would have to get AIM, but it's hardly a major trauma: just register a screenname and download the free software. They don't have to subscribe to AOL. Why should they be short-changed by Microsoft and only be able to chat in video and audio to other PC users? :E

AppleMacster

Evening Star
9th Dec 2005, 18:39
Will first of all join the in the congrats in moving over to Mac from Windows. Remember making the move, with a fair amount of nervousness, a few years ago. In retrospect, most of the problems in the move were because I was trying too hard after years of conditioning with Windows. When I relaxed and trusted the Mac to do the job right a lot of the problems went away. Maybe this is a bit of a trite observation, but I will say once over the teething problems I will be very surprised if you look back.:ok:

As for your email program, why use Entourage? Started with Mail and quite frankly does the job beautifully. Think that is the good thing about most Mac programs, just focused on one task and do it well.

Good point about Finder turning its nose up at .exe files is that this automatically removes one major source of virus etc type nasties getting onto your computer.:hmm:

AppleMacster
9th Dec 2005, 21:23
Trip Switch,

I just downloaded Mercury, and it appears to work with the iSight. None of my MSN friends are online, so I can't check it 100%.:rolleyes: However, if I can monitor the feed from the iSight, but the frame rate appears a lot slower than with iChat.

AppleMacster

Trip Switch
9th Dec 2005, 21:27
AM

Yeah, sorry, just deleted post. Will re post the link in a sec. Just checking out the Mercury site - see what it comes up with. There are another couple of message apps on the apple download page - Adium X and aMSN, but not sure if they support cam and mic.

Bino, link to Mercury....

Mercury (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/email_chat/mercurymessenger.html)

But it'll NEVER be as good as iChat!:p

Trips

AM

For your info

Mercury info (http://www.mercury.to/index.php?page=Wiki&wikipage=Mac)

Trips

AppleMacster
9th Dec 2005, 21:32
Trip Switch,

Neither aMSN nor Adium do audio or video. I'll be interested to see how Mercury fares when one of my MSN buddies is online.

Binos: Trip is right - it'll never be as good as iChat, tailor-made by Apple for the iSight. Why make life hard for oneself?

AppleMacster

Trip Switch
9th Dec 2005, 21:50
Binos

As AM says, if you can get the person you want to video chat with to register a screen name etc with AOL (all free), it'll make your life soooooo much easier. It really is a simple process to follow - all of a couple of minutes.

And that way, you'll be getting the most out of iSight and your Mac.

Trips

Binoculars
10th Dec 2005, 10:27
So all my current Messenger contacts have to download not only an identity from AOL, but a program to use to talk to me? I don't think I'll be sending all my contacts a note to that effect; I'm not confident enough ANY of them will bother. :{

Thing that's really bugging me at the moment is being unable to import favourites/bookmarks. My network (Mac to modem, Dell as no 2 computer through switch) works in as much as both computers get the internet without problems, but neither can apparetnly see the other computer, so file/printer sharing is out of the question. I put my favourites folder on a memory stick and plugged it into the mac. I try to import favourites from there and it sees the file but everythiing in it remains resolutely greyed out.

If anybody has any ideas here I'd appreciate it, because I'm really not looking forward to typing out 200 odd urlss and adding them individually to bookmarks on the Mac.

I will be going wireless shortly as soon as i find out which hardware is best suited to the Mac, but it seems to me that if the two computers can't see each other with an ADSL modem/router, wireless isn't ging to make any difference, so it's a problem I need to sort out first.

Forgive all the typos in this, it's most unlike me; I haven't got used to the Mac keyboard yet eitther. :(

Edited to add that somehow, I have no idea how, both computers now appear to be grudgingly admitting the other's existence. If you tick enough boxes something happens. Still won't import favourites, but one piece of progress a day is all I can expect I suppose.

AppleMacster
10th Dec 2005, 13:42
So all my current Messenger contacts have to download not only an identity from AOL, but a program to use to talk to me? I don't think I'll be sending all my contacts a note to that effect; I'm not confident enough ANY of them will bother

No, only *you* have to download Mercury (http://www.mercury.to/index.php?page=Mac), your PC friends can live in ignorance. They will see you as just a regular MSN contact, and you them, through Mercury. Your MSN contact list is kept on MSN servers, not on your computer.

This link (http://www2.macinfo.mcpherson.com/~macinfo/Instructions/safari/Importing%20Internet%20Explor.htm) might help you with your Bookmark importing. The file needs to be a .html file from your Windows version of Explorer in order to successfully import the bookmarks.

AppleMacster

[Edited for additional handy hints]

Binoculars
10th Dec 2005, 14:22
Thanks, Macster. I was actually talking about using iChat, which seems to be the program of choice. I'll investigate Mercury tomorrow. (So many things to investigate, just as well I don't have a life. :( )

Re bookmarks, following the link as far as Preferences sadly doesn't bring up Explorer as the next option.

(I hope somebody else will learn something out of all of this.)

While on wireless, I haven't delved as far as Airport or Bluetooth or anything that arcane as yet, but in the meantime should any wireless modem/router handle all my wireless requirements in the home, or does there need to be something with a Mac flavour?

Err, thanks again, all, Keep the advice coming, it's most appreciated.

:ok:

flapsforty
10th Dec 2005, 14:57
Binos, as you know I took the plunge a few weeks ago and I am learning from this thread. So thanks for starting it mate, and to all the friendly Trauma Counsilors (sp?) a great big THANK you as well.

Bins, I managed to install Airport. The home PC got a plug in stick in a USB port and now both iBooks in the family plus the PC are all wireless. Great good fun for me to pprune infront of the fireplace and kids very happy to go online from their own rooms.
Airport really IS easy.

AppleMacster
10th Dec 2005, 20:42
Binos,

I think you need to invoke the Import/Export Wizard on your Internet Explorer on your PC to transfer your Favourites. It's on the File menu. Export the Bookmarks as a .htm file. Safari should be able to import these Favourites as an html file straight onto the Bookmarks menu.

Wireless: it depends on your internet connection. You've probably noticed that your new iMac doesn't have a dial-up modem, so I assume you're on broadband? Apple don't make a broadband modem, only routers which connect to a broadband connection. Macs generally work more reliably with Ethernet modems.

AppleMacster

Trip Switch
10th Dec 2005, 23:20
Binos

All you need to buy to go wireless is something like an Airport Extreme base station (with modem) and an Ethernet cable.

Airport Extreme base station (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70906/wo/ku3P9lWUETzK2TGCFoG2FAUp5di/4.SLID?mco=52E85527&nplm=M8799LL%2FA)

The set-up will be something like this:

Firstly, your iMac has got an Airport Extreme card built-in (ie WiFi ready). Using the broadband router that you are obviously using already, use an Ethernet cable to connect this to an Airport Extreme base station. That'll give you your broadband. You can also connect a standard phone dial-up between the base station and the normal phone socket (use a splitter if you're running a phone from the same socket). Should your broadband go down, you've then got dial-up as an alternative. Also, to the back of the base station, you can connect your printer etc using the USB or Ethernet socket so that you can print wirelessly (this makes the printer a wireless network printer). That way, all the hardware can be kept in another room out of sight. However, as far as I know, it's not yet possible to scan wirelessly.

Having set up a wireless network, your PC can simply join it as it would do any other WiFi network (provided it is WiFi capable) and can use all the same connections (broadband/printer/dial-up etc).

If you want to go one further, you can also get one of these:

Airport Extreme with Air Tunes (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70906/wo/ku3P9lWUETzK2TGCFoG2FAUp5di/10.SLID?mco=96190CF2&nplm=M9470LL%2FA)

.... but that's just getting flash!

Bluetooth is great for things like a wireless mouse or keyboard and for connecting to a bluetooth enabled mobile phone. You can then download music, piccies etc to your phone. Depending on your phone, some will interface with iCal etc as well. You can also use the bluetooth phone as a wireless modem (using GPRS) when away from home in the boonies to give you internet access etc.

Hope this helps and gives you an idea of how simple it all really is.

Trips

Daysleeper
11th Dec 2005, 05:29
Rather than an Airport I would go for a simple netgear Wireless Router like the DG834.

Cheaper, simpler.

It wont do wireless printing but at the moment I cant get my Airport Extreeme to do that anyway.:rolleyes:

flapsforty
12th Dec 2005, 09:12
On a mouseless iBook G4, how do I save a picture from a webpage to its harddisk?
:confused:
And any pointers to how ( to where?) to import it to where I can then edit the pic?

thanks to this thread I now have tabbed browsing on the iBook.:ok:

AppleMacster
12th Dec 2005, 09:25
Flaps,

Hold down the ctrl key and click on the picture/movie in question. This brings up the "contextual menu", or "right-click menu" as they say at Microsoft. You will have a number of saving choices presented to you. ;)

You can edit it in iPhoto or Graphic Convertor.

AppleMacster

Trip Switch
12th Dec 2005, 09:33
Flaps

Depends on whether or not the image was 'placed' on the webpage. If it's one that was, you can place the pointer over the image (using the trackpad), click and hold (using your thumb, and then drag the image to your desktop (using your finger). Then release your thumb and bobs your uncle.

Editing requires an image manipulation application (i.e. Adobe Photoshop).

Trips

Edited to add: AM, we need to get a life!

flapsforty
12th Dec 2005, 09:44
Macster :ok: for the saving-
less luck with the editing; even if the editing tools in iPhoto are simple enough, I have no idea how to save the result. :confused:

Drag to desktop? huh???
Chaps, we all need to get a life but never mind that now. ;)

Oh and while we're at it; does an iBook sport a delete button or only the <---- one at the top rihjt corner of the keyboard? Very unpractical when I want to delete a current web addy in the adres line to type in a new one; I must be doing something wrong.

intuitive... grumble grumble....

WeatherJinx
12th Dec 2005, 10:56
Image changes are saved 'automatically' in iPhoto. If you don't like something you've done, you MUST undo it, if you want to save changes, press 'Done.' It's neither intuitive nor satisfactory, I know - I've fallen foul of this unfortunate 'feature' a few times myself. I hope it gets fixed in future versions. Overall however, iPhoto is still a lovely app for basic image manupulation requirements.

Oddly enough Falps, the 'Delete' key on iBooks (and Powerbooks too I think) is actually a backspace. To modify this to the 'forward delete' I think you're after, try 'Fn+Del'.
Here are some more OS X keyboard shortcuts (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459) you may find useful ;)

Jx

PS Paparazzi (http://www.derailer.org/paparazzi/screenshots) is a great little free utility for making captures of web pages. It can capture any non-visible parts of a page in addition to that which you can see! :ok:

AppleMacster
12th Dec 2005, 11:34
Flaps,

You should have got Graphic Converter bundled with your iBook. You can do a fair amount of editing with it. The latest version is 5.7.3 and you can download it here (http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/graphdownld_en.htm). It's a lot cheaper than Photoshop and has a lot of the same features.

Trip: Yes, I know. Mrs AM has taken the car to London, so I'm stuck in The Shire. That's my excuse anyway...:\

Binoculars
12th Dec 2005, 12:26
Thanks, AM. Now have my bookmarks transferred, using "export to" in IE rather than "import from" in Safari. Would have thought it was the same thing, but never mind, it's the result that counts. :ok:

The wireless thing? Still way over my head. I have some days off coming up and will devote time to investigating seriously. I thought the whole idea of Wireless was to do away with T5 cable? :confused:

Flappy, glad to hear you're getting something of value out of this. Any other converts with problems are more than welcome to post here; it's a community noticeboard!

AppleMacster
12th Dec 2005, 15:44
Binos,

Glad you got the Bookmarks sorted.

What do you want to connect wirelessly? Usually people just want to connect their Mac to their broadband connection and printer(s). Firstly, you have to find out how your broadband is provided - there are different approaches if you have satellite, adsl or cable. Each one requires a "router" of some sort, but the specific equipment required can be different. Let us know what you want to connect, and we can advise!

AppleMacster

Trip Switch
12th Dec 2005, 21:41
Flaps

Sorry hun, maybe I didn't explain quite well enough.

You have a track pad and a clicker underneath it (that's how you move your pointer). Your desktop is the screen you have when all applications, folders etc are closed down (either standard Apple screen or another you may have selected). This may sound a bit basic, but let's go through it anyway.

Dragging:

With your right hand, move your pointer over the "Hard Disc" image on your desktop. When it's there, with your left hand, press and hold down the clicker. Now, with your right hand, move your finger across the trackpad as if you were moving the pointer. You'll notice the icon moves with the pointer (that's called 'dragging'). If you release the clicker, the image will 'drop' into the place you released it.

Dragging to desktop:

Essentially you are doing exactly the same thing, as above, but 'dragging' an image (or rather a copy of it) off the web page. Make sure your Safari window doesn't cover the whole screen ('Drag' the bottom right corner until the window fits the shape/size you want). Put the pointer over a picture on the web page and do exactly as you did above with icon, except dont release the clicker until the pointer is somewhere on the desktop. If it's an image that was 'placed', you should then see an icon of the file (image) on your desktop for the image that you have just dragged and dropped. You can then place in whatever folder you choose by opening your hard disc or user window and dragging it and releasing it when the chosen folder is highlighted. You can also import it into iPhoto by opening iPhoto and selecting File then Import (don't use the Import button under the piccies) and then selecting the file.

Sorry if I've covered too much stuff you already knew - but that's what "Drag to Desktop" means.

Trips

Binoculars
15th Dec 2005, 13:51
Still a long way from having everything sorted, thanks largely to Microsoft's insistence on using an impenetrable fortress to guard my old emails, and the complete ignorance of their precious .dbx files by everything I try to use. But I'll try to accomplish something in that regard tomorrow with a clear head.

In the meantime, what are your general thoughts on firewalls/antivirus for the Mac? I have the Mac as my direct line to the internet with my Windows computer connecting through an Ethernet switch.

I'm still running Zone Alarm on the Windows poota, though it's a pain the ass as far as networking goes, plus my anti-virus (Computer Associates My e-Trust Anti virus), but no firewall on the Mac.

I assume CA have a Macintosh version, but I haven't done anything about installing it yet, perhaps lulled into a false sense of security by all the stories about nobody bothering to write viruses for Macs. But hey, there's gotta be tens of millions of Macs in the world, surely enough to write viruses for?

Ideas please, wise and otherwise?

Trip Switch
15th Dec 2005, 15:32
Binos

Your mac comes with a built in firewall within the operating system. Go to the 'apple' (top left) - System Preferences - under 'Interenet and Network', click 'Sharing'. You can set your preferences about firewall and file sharing etc. from there.

As far as antivirus software is concerned, personally I'd keep away from Norton/Symantec. Having loaded it on originally, I found that so many onther settings had been changed (mainly due to the firewall part of it) that it became a real pain in the @rse when setting up things like iSight. It was removed. If you feel that you want the security of an antivirus, look at Intego

Intego (http://www.cwonline.co.uk/results.tpl)

They seem to be the programme of choice, although you will find plenty of others out there. Personally, I use VirusBarrier. I also know a lot of mac users who don't bother with any, and none to my knowledge have ever been infected (as you say, viruses for mac are few and far between, although not unknown. Probably because it's too hard to write them!)

Trips

Binoculars
16th Dec 2005, 06:37
If my Mac has a built in firewall and the Windoze poota connects to it through a switch, does that mean I can disable Zone Alarm from the PC and it's protected by the Mac firewall? :confused:

AppleMacster
16th Dec 2005, 10:47
Binos,

You do not need any anti-virus software as there are no viruses for the mac. It's just not an issue. You will only start to use up resources on your machine from which you could benefit solely. I've been using macs for nineteen years and *never* had a virus. For the last ten years, I've been more-or-less permanently online. I don't even turn on the software firewall. Don't be dragged into the virus paranoia which affecs Windows machines so much. Mac OS X is a far superior operating system in so many ways, but especially in terms of security.

As far as I know, if the Mac software firewall is on and your PC is connected to the internet through it, the PC should be protected by it. You can specify which ports to open if necessary on the software firewall. However, once you get the broadband sorted, your router should have a hardware firewall built-in.

AppleMacster

(apologies if a little over-zealous above)

Trip Switch
16th Dec 2005, 11:10
AM

Not that I disagree, but I understood that would only be the case if you were running OSX Server. The ethernet switch acts as a bypass to the mac and therefore it's firewall on that port. I accept that I maybe wrong - it's not something I've ever had to try.

Binos

See Networking with a Windows PC (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=19652) for more info on Windows file sharing. Also see Setting up Windows File Sharing (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107083). It's in human speak. I believe all routers and indeed Airport also have firewall protection so it becomes a bit of a non-issue when you go down that route.

Trips

AppleMacster
16th Dec 2005, 19:40
Trip,

I'm pretty sure the software firewall in Tiger protects anything using it. You can opt out of using the firewall on various services/clients in System Preferences>Sharing>Firewall. :8

AppleMacster

Trip Switch
16th Dec 2005, 20:34
Binos

I'll go with AM on this as it's not a situation I've faced (all mac, all the time :ok: ). By disabling your PC firewall, networking should be a cinch.

RJM
17th Dec 2005, 11:49
Binos A little late in the piece, but well done getting a Mac.

With short gaps to replace or repair my PC, I've had both platforms in my office for years for software reasons (which are becoming less relevant now).

The best thing about Macs is the lack of threat from viruses and spyware, and for the newer Macs, the Unix based OS. And who wants to use a computer where you have to hit 'start' to shut down :rolleyes:

On top of that, you get a superb physical design (the phrase 'form factor' sucks, IMO): elegance in both appearance and function.

I enjoy using my Mac - I even enjoy looking at it.

Don't worry about teething problems - the Mac will soon fit you like an old wellington boot, as they say.

You'll have many happy hours together. They're intuitive enough that you simply produce the work - you can almost forget the intermediary of the computer!

Binoculars
19th Dec 2005, 13:27
I suspect you're right, RJM, but it's an uneasy standoff between the PC and the Mac at the moment, rather like the old rooster glaring suspiciously at the new rival in the henhouse.

One thing at a time. I can't get the PC to print through the network. It's a Samsung ML1510 laser printer; I downloaded the Mac software for the Mac, which is printing fine, and the original PC software is still on the PC, which shows the Samsung as being the default printer, but it won't print. Nothing happens. The Print screen shows ther correct printer selected, and 1 document waiting, but silence is the stern reply. Suggestions?

WxJx; thanks for the PM, tend to agree out of sheer conditioning. :ok:

Trip Switch
19th Dec 2005, 16:24
Binos

Just a quick check.....

Under 'System Preferences', in the Hardware section click 'Print & Fax'. Click the 'Sharing' tab and make sure you've ticked both the 'Share these pinters with other computers' and the 'Samsung ML1510' boxes.

Also, check the PC Printer settings and make sure it knows where the printer is located.

Trips

Binoculars
20th Dec 2005, 10:32
Also, check the PC Printer settings and make sure it knows where the printer is located.

It would appear not. Samsung printer properties on the PC shows nothing in the Location box. So what is the location? :confused:

Trip Switch
20th Dec 2005, 18:38
Binos

What exactly is your setup? What connects to what, using which port/cable? Have you run the 'Add Printer' wizard on your PC?

The easiest solution is to use an ethernet hub and these problems will disappear into the ether (pun intended). In fact, better still, get yourself that little miracle in a box that is an Airport Extreme Basestation (provided your PC is WiFi capable). No point making your life difficult. Plug 'n' play.

I'm sorry I can't offer you any easy one liner, but I'm working blind here and just trying to offer you an easy, known solution.

Trips

Binoculars
23rd Feb 2006, 10:39
Progress report, and nothing much has changed. Still can't get my Windows computer to print via the network, and neither could the "expert" I got around to solve the problem.

Anyway, minor grumbles aside, I enjoy the Mac. Whether it's worth the price compared to what you can get with Windows I'm not sure, and that problem will resurface in six weeks or so when it's time to get my yearly laptop. Can I justify the cost differential?

Well, I certainly won't be getting one of the Intel powered ones, which look as though they start at $3200. Given what's available for way under $2000 with Dell laptops, I'm not convinced that the iBook is not mainly a fashion item. Anyway, the question I dropped in here to ask concerns Office for Mac. I bought the genuine article for the iMac, but will I also be allowed to put it on an iBook?

If the answer is no, it makes the decision easy. I'll probably buy a top of the range intel powered Mac lappy with my salary sacrifice scheme, sell it brand new on ebay for a reasonable discount and use the proceeds to buy a souped up Dell.

Anybody know the conditions attached to Office?

AppleMacster
23rd Feb 2006, 10:53
Binos,

Glad you're enjoying the iMac. As far as I know, the Standard Edition of Microsoft Office allows you to install it on both laptop and desktop. However, it doesn't allow you to run both at a time. If you have purchased the Student/Teacher Edition, there are three licences with it. However, it isn't upgradeable. Office works fine on an iBook, and is almost standard-issue for most consumers and students. If you don't need a spreadsheet, iWork offers better value and is far easier to use, of course.

Apple have yet to release details about any new "consumer level" laptop, currently occupied by the iBook G4. The MacBookPro is aimed at a professionals, and has a higher-end specification, hence the price.

AppleMacster

Binoculars
23rd Feb 2006, 15:45
Thanks Macster. That helps; the OS-X certainly provides all the grunt this humble user needs for his basic tasks, so perhaps it might be worth holding off till the iBook G4 replacement is announced so I can pick up an iBook at a discount. Who knows?

For what it's worth, if anybody is reading this still pondering if, when or why they should change to a Mac, these are my initial thoughts after a couple of months.

I don't just like the Mac, I love it, BUT.... a lot of the buts concern compatibility with Windows. What a shame Mac wasn't adopted as the standard all those years ago. Don't assume that sharing a network with a PC will be the piece of cake some will tell you it is.

It's difficult to describe what sets it apart and makes it so likeable, but general useability would be the generic phrase. I love the Dock, love the clarity of the display, love how things just seem to work with a minimum of fuss.

I'm not so keen, as mentioned earlier in the thread, about brilliant pieces of kit like the iSight and iChat being unusable with Windows users (everybody on my list) without their or my having to download some crappy piece of software to make it work. I'm also appalled that after paying a massive premium over PC prices, you are then asked to pay an annual subscription to join something called .Mac which promises you all sorts of things which I could have sworn the original software promised to provide. I don't know what it does provide, because I refused to even consider it. I should also apparently pay yet another few hundred bucks for a BaseStation or something similar which will finally make all my networking problems go away. And finally, though I suspect this may be a local thing, I'm well short of being impressed with the after sales service.

I haven't put to use the applications people rave about; iDVD, iMovie, Garage band etc, so I suppose it could be said that I'm one of those who should have stuck with an el cheapo PC and kept installing forever my trusty Office 97 copy.

But whatever it is, there's something about the Mac I really don't want to lose. One thing I do like is the resale value on ebay if I do decide to cancel the whole experiment!

AppleMacster
23rd Feb 2006, 16:29
Did you try using Mercury Messenger? I'd be interested to see how it works with the built-in iSight. Surely it should be MSN at whom you need to vent your frustration as they are the ones not supporting MSN with video and audio on the Mac?

You could try out a .mac account for 60 days for free. It's enormously useful for a lot of people. I use mine all the time. It can backup your Address Book, Calendar, Bookmarks automatically, and using "Backup", any other files that you choose to backup regularly. It integrates seamlessly with iWeb and Garageband allowing you to make high-quality webpages in minutes, and even edit and post podcasts (video and audio) directly. For some, the subscription is invaluable, for others, it's not so important. Not to forget the .mac email address and learning centre complete with training videos. You may or may not find it useful, but you have nothing to lose by trying it out free for 60 days.

AppleMacster

Binoculars
26th Feb 2006, 08:24
Hi Mac. I remember downloading Mercury when you first suggested it but at the time I was a bit overwhelmed by the whole conversion process and it was all a bit too hard. I've just gone back to it now, I'm talking to my daughter upstairs ok, and she gets my iSight, albeit at a very slow frame rate. I just have to wait for another MSN contact to come online to see if it works with everyone on my MSN list or whether I have to add them separately or whatever.

You are dead right about the object of my frustration; I wasn't assigning blame, just commenting on having a piece of kit which looks to be so useful and not being able to use it to its full capacity for whatever reason.

While I'm here, I'm a little behind Mme Flappy insofar as I haven't mastered tabbed browsing as I used to use in Firefox. The options in tabbed browsing may as well be written in Swahili. I've tried a few alternatives and I can now right clink a link and get the options box up including open in a new window. What I'm after is to be able to do that in my bookmarks list, but whatever I do, right click, control click, apple click (or whatever it's called) the new site just comes straight up over the last one. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I've definitely decided my next lappy will be an iBook. One of these days I'll get around to using more than 10% of its capabiliities. :8

AppleMacster
26th Feb 2006, 09:37
Binos,

To open a link from a menu in Safari in a new tab, hold down the Apple key whilst selecting it from the menu. I have to admit that I didn't know this was possible, until I just tried it! Magic!

It's interesting to know that the built-in iSight works with Mercury Messenger. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the frame rate improves.

AppleMacster.

scruggs
16th Mar 2006, 15:16
Hi folks,

I too am pondering whether or not to take the plunge and get me a Mac. My old Compaq Presario 2100 has recently died, and to be honest it’s been nothing but trouble since I purchased it about 4 years ago - and it cost me £1900!

I was looking at the iBook G4 12-inch; however I've been told that this model will soon be updated to feature a dual core processor. Is this correct? If so, then I’ll wait for the upgraded version iBook. Plus, as I work at a uni, I get the academic discount:)

From the thread I see there are a few converts here, can some of you folks tell me how you've found the switch from PC to Mac? For now, if I do decide to go Mac, I'll start off with a portable computer as I need it for work, but if I like it, I'll get me one of those Power Mac G5's. This means transferring years of stuff from my Dell desktop. How easy is it to transfer stuff across?

Cheers lads (and lasses)

Steve.

Binoculars
17th Mar 2006, 00:10
Hi Steve,

As the most recent convert here I'll give it a bash. I think a lot really depends on what you mainly use your computer for, what programs you have that you consider essential etc. Bear in mind that anything with an exe.file no workee on the Mac, so for games etc you'll be up for replacement software. If on the other hand you mainly use it for internet and office applications etc, the process is fairly seamless. I found it was worth buying the Office for Mac, but that should be the only software you need on top of what comes with it. For music, graphics, photos/movies, etc, it would appear to be beautifully integrated and much more user-friendly than Windows.

As far as major differences are concerned, there aren't really any of significance. There's a lot of little things that are done differently, and a few that take some getting used to. I've had some problems (still am in fact) networking with the PC, but I'm 100% certain it's a PC problem not the Mac.

There is a great package of software that comes standard, including things I haven't even tried yet. As I mentioned elsewhere, some of them look superb but are somewhat restricted in their use with people using Windows.

In terms of the overall computing experience, they're a marvel. Very instinctive and with some delightful touches that make Windows look horribly confusing and clunky. I'll be buying a lappy in a couple of weeks, and after three months with the iMac there's no question I'll be staying with Apple.

In simple terms, if everybody had a Mac the computing world would be a much nicer place. But most don't, so if you elect to make the change, get used to the idea that there will be the odd irritation with non-compatibility with M$ products and the occasional lack of Mac versions of something you want (the Webshots desktop comes to mind).

I won't unreservedly recommend them, because it depends on your own requirements, but I am an enthusiastic convert. You can keep the old PC for Windows apps that you simply must have; I did, but I find I never use it except when I can't get my daughter off the Mac.

As a final point, if by chance you get one and find you don't like it, a quick look at ebay will tell you that the resale value for Macs is terrific! This a great place to come for help if you need it too. :ok: Let us know what you decide.

WeatherJinx
17th Mar 2006, 07:13
easyPilot
Rumour (http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1587) has it that there will be another Apple 'event' to mark its 30th Anniversary at the end of this month/early April (actual anniversary is April 1st). It's strongly rumoured that an Intel-equipped iBook replacement will be announced at that time, so watch this space.

Binoculars
17th Mar 2006, 07:52
Hope you're right, WxJx; that would surely mean a sale on the remaining OS-X equipped iBooks, and April 1 is the earliest I'm allowed to buy a lappy! Serendipity! :}

scruggs
17th Mar 2006, 10:59
Cheers guys,

I've heard this same rumour a few times now about the 30th anniversary and a possible new iBook. I hope its true!

Thanks again,

Steve.

scruggs
29th Mar 2006, 14:03
http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookpro/

Any opinions on this machine? Looks good to me, but I'm not that up on computers, and which ever Mac I get, it will be my first. I dunno whether to start off with something a bit cheaper like the iBook. What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Steve.

WeatherJinx
29th Mar 2006, 20:09
easy

Keep your powder dry for a few days more.. I sense you have have a mild case of buyers fever, so cool it :}

The MacBook Pro is, according to one or two friends that have acquired one, a great machine. One drawback of early adoption of MacIntel machines however, is that any pro apps you run on a regular basis (i.e. heavy Photoshop work, Dreamweaver, Final Cut etc.) will be slightly slower than the older G5 equivalents, as they will be running in emulation mode (Rosetta) until Adobe et al produce 'Universal Binary' versions of their apps to take advantage of the Core Duo processors. This is unlikely to happen until the end of the year, although a good number of smaller vendors and shareware developers to have 'gone universal' now.

Due to my 6-month old G5 iMac dying on me last week :{(fried logic board anyone?), Apple have given me a spanking new Core Duo iMac as a replacement and I have to say, apart from the above, it really is a very zippy and quiet machine indeed. The Pro apps' performance is 'liveable' but yes, slightly slower and the rest is much quicker. The machine is heaps quieter too. So I'd say if you're going to be using an Intel machine for general or business use, using mainly, say, Office, Safari, Mail and the iLife apps, you won't be disappointed at all. The same will probably go for the iBook too, if an Intel version of that is announced next week.

Jx

Binoculars
5th Apr 2006, 04:46
Did I miss something? April 1 has been and gone, and I didn't hear any world-shaking news. Doesn't look like there's anything new on the website either; a bit of an anti-climax really. Looks like I might settle for the current iBook. :uhoh:

WeatherJinx
5th Apr 2006, 16:46
It appears the expected anniversary 'announcement' was a chimera, although there are still some persistent rumours around about imminent announcements. I guess it may also be a good idea to hold off any launches (esp. iPod related ones) while the Apple vs. Apple Corps proceedings are, er proceeding. Let's wait and see ;)

AppleMacster
5th Apr 2006, 19:02
Not so. There is some pretty monumental news here:
http://www.apple.com/uk/pr/050406_bootcamp.html
Pure Genius.
AppleMacster

WeatherJinx
5th Apr 2006, 20:14
Yes... perhaps that was the real birthday surprise...potentially a huge tactical shift. The chimera I refer to was the much-vaunted hardware announcement (Intel iBook/video iPod/iPhone - delete as appropriate). No - this was a real curve ball ;)

Binoculars
6th Apr 2006, 09:47
OK, I suppose somebody must have a reason for wanting Windows on their Mac, although it escapes me: no doubt I will be further educated. Welcome back to the world of viruses?

WeatherJinx
6th Apr 2006, 11:27
The importance being attached to the initiative is because it would remove another barrier for switchers or potential switchers, thus having the potential to increase Apple's market share. However, like you Binos, I can't really see why anyone would need to do it.

Binoculars
11th Apr 2006, 10:48
FWIW, I was at the local Apple place today talking about buying an iBook. I was gently guided towards the latest rumours which suggest 2 months is the time frame for an Intel-powered laptop with a 13.3" screen. Discounts for superseded models? "They run their hardware on a very tight basis."

OK, I'll wait for a couple of months.

redsnail
15th Apr 2006, 22:36
I'd be ecstatic if they brought out a 10" iBook or something even smaller.
Around the 1kg to 1.5kg would be spot on with a simple DVD player (oh ok, CD burner with DVD player), blue tooth and WiFi, microphone and speakers.
30Gb with a reasonable CPU and about 512Kb of RAM.

Just a simple but light tool for the road warriors (or airway warriors) that are seriously weight/size restricted.

I know Sony et al do them but I don't want one of them.