PDA

View Full Version : Possible Assistance with a Television Programme

rachelfarley
2nd Dec 2005, 10:28
I hope you can help me. I am currently working for a television company based in London called Firefly.

I am working on the very initial stages of developing an idea for one of the terrestrial channels in the UK which would recreate various incidents that have occured on board commerical passenger jets that have been dealt with by passengers and crew while in the air.

I am looking for some information about the emergency incidents that you may have encountered on board, for example fire, medical emergencies or other similar events. It would also be interesting to hear anecdotes of how passengers deal with these emergencies and the psychology of people during a situation.

It would also be great to receive further contacts you might know who could help as the development progresses. For example, if you know people in the cabin crew training industry who could tell me more about the way crew are taught to deal with emergency situations that would be great. It would also be great to find out about the training courses in which emergency situations are simulated in a cabin on the ground.

I would also like to find out about sources of information that may list unusual on-board events that occur every year.

Everything at this stage will be strictly 'off the record'; I am only looking for background information! However, if the programme is commissioned, we will probably require aviation consultants both on and off screen.

If you are able to help, or know someone I can contact, please call me on 020 7033 2302 or email on [email protected]

Many thanks
Rachel Farley
Researcher, Firefly Productions
120-124 Curtain Road, London, EC2A 3SQ

X11
2nd Dec 2005, 11:53
This one time at band camp.....inverted spin, nothing on the clock but the makers name, feet on fire......brilliant but troubled Captain.....steely eyed First Officer with chiselled good looks.....inappropriate sunglasses....beautiful and caring Purser, but tough when it comes to the crunch.....passengers rioting and writing farewells on napkins.......cabin crew fighting valiantly to restore order, whilst carrying out second drinks service to maximise companies revenue.....Air Traffic controller grabbing headset off nervous junior controller and shouting "you can make it, god damn it!" (American accent optional)......40 knot crosswind....tyre screeching and blue lights....little girl makes it in time for urgent operation......all home for huge salaries and final salary pensions...THE END.

Just what you’re looking for I think you'll find. XXX

powdermonkey
2nd Dec 2005, 13:17
X11
Not quite what Rachel was looking for, a bit ott perhaps..?
You have just described one of my standard approach and landing, without the toughtfull beautiful purser........ :uhoh:

tiggerific_69
2nd Dec 2005, 13:28
I think what Rachel needs to hear is that unfortunately she is banging her head against a very big brick wall.
Most crew cannot talk about incidents which have happened on board because of clauses in their contract of employment with the company.I for one have had a delightful incident which i really would love to tell you about.But i cant because if i did i would lose my job and im not going to make that sacrifice.Speak to the airlines and see if they will agree to talk to you,best place is probably the press offices.But i doubt you will have much luck unless you have a lot of permissions etc.
I feel another Aircrash Investigations series coming on....

yeoman
2nd Dec 2005, 13:37
Rachel, at least you had the honesty to use your real name and details but I fear that you are unlikely to get much help here, partly as explained above but also due to the fact that a lot of your colleagues in the media have made a bed that you must now sleep in. Do a quick scan through the threads and you will quickly build a picture of the opinions born of sensationalist journalism.

That said, perhaps yours will be the programme to redress the balance? Good luck.

Failing that, do an expose on inaccurate reporting of facts within the media. Sorry, couldn't resist:E

airwave
2nd Dec 2005, 16:37
Rachel, you can find media blackout-free zones at all aircrew hotels around Gloucester Road!:E