PDA

View Full Version : Sqdn Ldr Ray Hanna AFC*

Pages : 1 [2]

old-timer
8th Dec 2008, 23:09
Thank you for that you tube link, :D

FANTASTIC :D - It brought back so many happy memories :D

Words are not enough but quite simply he was THE BEST along with Mark in my humble opinion, two of a kind, impossible to replace but forever remembered.

halfpenny25
28th Aug 2009, 09:01
RAY HANNA 81st BIRTHDAY REMEMBRANCE 28 - 08 - 2009

Remembered ALWAYS .......

astrid340
29th Aug 2009, 12:30
HAPPY BIRTHDAY RAY !
Was flying in Africa yesterday, but, like you, "Halfpenny", had a special thought for Ray*

old-timer
31st Aug 2009, 19:44
I was also fortunate to be near Parham & paid my respects to Ray & Mark; always remembered & never far away in our thoughts.
God speed Ray & Mark, exceptional Aviators & such lovely guys too, one of a kind & unique in so many ways.

Humblest & deepest respects.

BingoBob
1st Sep 2009, 15:54
In Memory...

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/media/images/Photographs/Image/RAF_T_006283.jpg

1966 second season. The pilots are, from left to right: Sqn Ldr R G Hanna (Red Leader), Flt Lt D A Bell (Red 2), Flt Lt W A Langworthy (Red 3), Flt Lt P R Evans (Red 4), Flt Lt R Booth (Red 5), Flt Lt H J D Prince (Red 6), Sqn Ldr T G Nelson (Red 7), Flt Lt F J Hoare (Red 8) and Flt Lt D R H McGregor (Red 9).

halfpenny25
1st Dec 2009, 07:54
In Memory: Look to the skies ........

4 years have passed Ray .....

NEVER to be forgotten .......

R.I.P.

Flying Lawyer
1st Dec 2009, 22:43
zJyYvrr-oZo

JEM60
2nd Dec 2009, 08:06
Ah, Ray and Mark Hanna. The most watchable pilots on the Airshow circuit. Always looked forward to their displays with eager anticipation. Still much discussed by us Duxford motor-way end enthusiasts.

old-timer
2nd Dec 2009, 08:24
What a fitting tribute, many thanks F.L for posting the link.

CharlieLimaX-Ray
4th Dec 2009, 04:06
Just been watching the DVD Piece of Cake.

Thanks to the various pilots for flying sequences.

Tropicalbirdy
31st Mar 2010, 05:41
Nice Duxford keeps their memories alive, I know the pilots in NZ who knew them speak fondly of days gone by:)

Finningley Boy
2nd Apr 2010, 09:48
I managed to film his last display at Biggin Hill (and I understand, penultimate public display) in September 2005, flying MH434. I'm not sure if I've yet done so, but I'll ensure the tape ends up on DVD for posterity.

FB

JEM60
3rd Apr 2010, 21:54
I think I have, on video, his last Spitfire flight. At Duxford approx 3 weeks before he died [I was abroad at the time of his passing]. I believe it was a gathering of the OFMC open day there.
I, too, will ensure this is kept, as long as someone can confirm the occasion.

halfpenny25
28th Aug 2010, 12:17
RAY HANNA 82nd Birthday Remembrance 28 - 08 - 2010

NEVER FORGOTTEN ...........

Amos Keeto
5th Sep 2010, 21:24
My tribute to Ray Hanna, two photos taken by me...

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/Amoskeeto/1967RayHannainXS111Kemble29March67.jpg
Sat in the cockpit of his Gnat, XS111, as team leader of the Red Arrows, at Kemble 29 March 1967.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n184/Amoskeeto/MH434G-ASJVSpitfireIXRayHannaBigginHill19MAY1979AMB.jpg

With his port wingtip inches above the ground in Spitfire MH434 at Biggin Hill 19 May 1979:eek:

Tropicalbirdy
9th Sep 2010, 09:58
Amazing photos wow you'd have to be confident to have your wingtip so close to the ground. So many talented individuals here.

aviate1138
23rd Sep 2010, 18:27
Picture quality not great but Ray Hanna was right in the thick of this movie for a few seconds and as I was there I saw how close Ray got to the cameras during the shelling sequence. After the filming had finished he gave a quick but amazing display using the Guernsey cliffs and the blockhouse as a backdrop.

YouTube - The Blockhouse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DshIMRj5ncw)
Action with Ray is at about 5:35 onwards.

Strange WW2 film with Peter Sellers in sombre role, entombed in a Guernsey blockhouse. After the inmates run out of candles the inspired director shot the final sequences in pitch black! Most cinema goers had left their seats by then!

Tropicalbirdy
25th Sep 2010, 06:32
Thanks for clip makes for good viewing, must have been exciting for Mark and Ray to fly in movies. I'll always remember Mark, he was one in a million, sadly I never got to meet Ray but I did get to see him fly :)

halfpenny25
1st Dec 2010, 08:16
In Memory .... 28-08-28 - 01-12-05

For RAY ...

Remembered Forever ..............

R.I.P.

Tropicalbirdy
1st Dec 2010, 18:09
Rest in Peace Ray - now flying in the sky

old-timer
1st Dec 2010, 21:42
5 yrs has passed so quickly but memorys of Ray will last forever,
Godspeed Ray, none better
Ray & Mark - one of kind, they were both exceptional characters & Aviators par none - I miss them both so much still.

JEM60
2nd Dec 2010, 09:40
Much remembered by us at the motorway end at Duxford shows. Discussed at every show. Happy memories.

The Oberon
2nd Dec 2010, 13:26
I recently saw a repeat of an episode of "Foyle's War" where a Spitfire flew under a bridge. Was that the sequence being talked about in previous posts ??

treadigraph
2nd Dec 2010, 13:57
Yes, it sounds like a re-use of the clip from "Piece of Cake" for which Ray flew under a bridge up in the North East...

Flying Lawyer
2nd Dec 2010, 17:26

Xf3UtmHLKUU

Longer version with actors ..........

Vj73NTO8144

'Chuffer' Dandridge
2nd Dec 2010, 17:44
Longer version with actors ..........

......or aircraft engineers? The chap with the chip bag hat looks very much like Hugh Jones to me (OFMC's engineer)

A classic piece of film anyhow..

dhc1chippymunk
2nd Dec 2010, 21:13
Looking at the film carefully, the one with actors, I noticed that the Spitfire at the beginning is grey and green while the Spit that flues under the bridge is brown and green......
Any Ideas?

treadigraph
2nd Dec 2010, 23:29
It's MH434 in both cases which is normally camoflagued green/grey, but was temporarily "dressed" as a Battle of Britain era green/brown Spit when filming Piece of Cake. Cor, that was 22 years ago...

robin
2nd Dec 2010, 23:30
20-odd years between the films, might have something to do with it

halfpenny25
28th Aug 2011, 10:01
RAY HANNA Birthday Remembrance.....

NEVER FORGOTTEN.......

Tropicalbirdy
29th Aug 2011, 07:43
Both remarkable, wonderful men! Still missed and a great month to be born if I do say so myself!

kevmusic
29th Aug 2011, 08:21
Second all of the above! :ok:

Exascot
29th Aug 2011, 08:32
Thirded. Never had the honour of meeting Ray but had the pleasure of going through OCTU with Mark.

Tropicalbirdy
30th Aug 2011, 03:08
wow that's very cool you did your OCTU with Mark, special to meet high calibre people in the same circles.....he was a gentleman with a lovely manner and sense of humour. I'll always remember his amazing flying ability at airshows, still have the program Mark signed for me Jan 99 at the Masterton airshow in NZ :O

old-timer
30th Aug 2011, 08:17
I met Ray at Duxford in 2000 & found him a very approachable & wonderful person, 100% genuine, honest & friendly, I never had the pleasure to meet Mark unfortunately.

When I took my GFT at Southend on 3 Sept' 1989 MH434 did a wonderful run & break just after I landed which has been an inspiration to me ever since - priceless, I'm not sure who was flying MH434 that day but I hope it was Mark or Ray :ok: (I passed my GFT too which was a bonus but I was happy enough anyway to see the fantastic run & break - BRILLIANT)

I visited Mark & Rays graves last year which was very poignant & I do admit brought a tear to my eye - two of kind, wonderful wonderful guys, sadly missed but never ever forgotten.

kms901
30th Aug 2011, 09:01
I wonder how many people were inspired to learn to fly after watching Ray and MH434 ?

Tropicalbirdy
31st Aug 2011, 22:08
How wonderful to see MH434 in action, I have the DVD released by the Hanna's and have watched it quite a few times. Well done on passing your GFT too :)
That was special you visited their resting places, I'd probably need a few tissues myself - wonderful men, I guess some people show us this is how to live your life :)

old-timer
1st Sep 2011, 09:01
I wish I could have seen Ray & Mark in action at one of the Wanaka shows, I got there in 2000 but it was a month before the show & I had to come home before sadly.

Like you say, they are an inspiration in how to live well & honourably - plus have fun too.

Flying Lawyer
30th Nov 2011, 22:47
Sqn Ldr Ray Hanna AFC*
28th August 1928 - 1st December 2005
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Ray/RAY_P_40.jpg

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/64308926.jpg (http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/64308926.jpg)
Click on the picture to see a bigger image.

Amos Keeto
30th Nov 2011, 23:00
We will never forget him - a flying legend and even more so now!

I first met Ray in 1966 at Kemble when he was leader of the Red Arrows. I was a mere 16-year old ATC cadet and he always had time for me, presenting me with the latest publicity material on each visit. He never forgot me, every time I met him at air shows right up until his final departure. A true inspiration of mankind.

Tropicalbirdy
1st Dec 2011, 06:54
Imagine how cool it would have been to fly under the bridge! Impressive pics thanks for sharing :)

halfpenny25
1st Dec 2011, 16:00
IN MEMORY...

6 years ......

Ray ... you will never be forgotten ..

Flying Lawyer
2nd Jan 2012, 20:28
St Mary's Church, Parham, Suffolk.

Click on the pictures to see larger images.

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/small/63093121.jpg (http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/63093121.jpg) http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/small/63093131.jpg (http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/63093131.jpg)
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/small/64333096.jpg (http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/64333096.jpg)

The headstones are carved from Welsh slate in the distinctive shape everyone here will recognise. Around the edge of each (not visible in the pics) are lines from the final verse of I Think Continually Of Those Who Were Truly Great by Stephen Spender

Ray’s inscription reads:
See how these names are feted by the waving grass
And by the streamers of white cloud
And whispers of wind in the listening sky

Mark’s reads:
Born of the sun they travelled a short while towards the sun,
And left the vivid air signed with their honour

FL

India Four Two
3rd Jan 2012, 03:24
FL,

Is that a real picture of the bridge flight or is it Photoshopped? The flight path looks wrong.

Simon

old-timer
3rd Jan 2012, 07:38
Thank you for sharing those photos FL, I visited Parham & paid my respects to Ray & Mark but it was before Rays headstone was placed.

God speed Ray & Mark - a flight of two gracing the heavens for eternity, irreplaceable & unforgettable - the best of the best in every respect.
Forever missed - never forgotten.

LowNSlow
4th Jan 2012, 15:00
India Four Two. It's a real pic, it's a still taken during a film about Polish airmen in the RAF in WW2 I think (corrections please). After much persuasion the CAA allowed the flight under the bridge under close supervision of course!

CharlieOneSix
4th Jan 2012, 15:39
The bridge scene was from the TV series "Piece of Cake" in 1988 and I think the bridge was near Barnard Castle...
Spitfire under bridge - YouTube

Edit: it was Winston Bridge near Barnard Castle - see Winston Bridge (http://www.bridgesonthetyne.co.uk/winston.html)

Tropicalbirdy
4th Jan 2012, 23:08
Thank you for sharing this....it's something very special to see and how befitting the words are for these two very wonderful special gentleman.
It was a true honour to meet them, I still hold dear the program that Mark signed in January 99 when I met him at 'Wings Over Wairarapa' - will never forget his flying or manner
Always remembered and cherished:)

India Four Two
5th Jan 2012, 01:11
LowNSlow and CharlieOneSix,

I should have been more specific with my question. I've seen "Piece of Cake" and the YouTube videos. I was querying the specific photo that FL posted, which is inconsistent with the video and the other stills I've seen.

The flightpath looks wrong and the "reflections" of the Spitfire and the bridge are very suspect. I'm convinced it was Photoshopped.

Simon

John Farley
5th Jan 2012, 13:09
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/johnfarley/Image2-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/johnfarley/Image1.jpg

Flying Lawyer
5th Jan 2012, 13:49
India Four Two

I don't know the origin of the picture but, having now looked at it more closely, I suspect you may be right.

I believe the picture below is genuine but can't vouch for it.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/64454159.jpg

FL

John Farley
5th Jan 2012, 14:02
I agree with you re the second photo you have posted. It seems to have the same attitude and height as the video - unlike the first one..

JF

halfpenny25
28th Aug 2012, 07:04
RAY HANNA Birthday Remembrance ....

Remembered Always ......

taildragger123
13th Sep 2012, 21:43
This is a genuine picture of Ray Hannah flying under the bridge at Winston near Barnard Castle UK for the TV series Piece of Cake 1988. At the time Ray was 59 years of age.

Video in post #276

halfpenny25
1st Dec 2012, 08:45
Squadron Leader Ray Hanna AFC* 28-08-1928 -- 01-12-2005

In Memory

7 years on .....

Look up to the skies .... ALWAYS remembered.....

merlinxx
1st Dec 2012, 15:26
For Ray & Mark, may your Gods smile upon your skills in flying the heavens. Ray was an honor to know you from the Reds through Cathay to Jet Avtn DC8.

Thank you Master

halfpenny25
28th Aug 2013, 19:12
85th Birthday Remembrance Ray ....

Never forgotten .....

ericferret
31st Aug 2013, 12:42
I remember Ray flying a Spitfire at Tollerton airshow circa 1971. I for reasons unknown was slightly forward of the crowd line at one end. His low pass caused the grass around my feet to blow around as he went straight over me. I often wonder how close I was to being minus a head.
I think he was the first pilot I knew by name and reputation. Still remembered and missed.

halfpenny25
1st Dec 2013, 17:21
Ray Hanna .....

8 years on .....

Memories never forgotten.....

R.I.P.

Treble one
1st Dec 2013, 19:26
A friend of mine has recently published a 'walk around' book on Merlin engined Spitfires and MH434 features, as do several other Duxford based aircraft.

I sadly never saw Sqd Ldr Hanna fly in the flesh, but have seen some memorable footage.....

QDMQDMQDM
3rd Apr 2014, 11:19
Rare to see a Royal look as if they're genuinely enjoying themselves, but Prince Andrew really is. He's beaming in the picture with Jim Lovell.

halfpenny25
28th Aug 2014, 11:52
RAY HANNA Birthday Remembrance

Never Forgotten .......

halfpenny25
1st Dec 2014, 21:44
In memory ...... 9 years on....

Ray Hanna

R.I.P.

old-timer
3rd Dec 2014, 08:40
RIP Ray, 9 years on & my memories of you are still fresh as ever - a master Aviator & a fantastically warm & genuine person. I salute you & your memory.

fistandsparks
4th Dec 2014, 22:46
Sven I am grateful for your comment in here as I've told the tale a few times and nobody will believe what we saw that day. It must have been '79 as I was posted to Kinloss in October that year. I recall him flying so low between the two rows of JP's that you couldn't see him.

I'd love to see your photo.

I think I met Ray (it might have been Mark) whilst at Bruggen, a Spitfire landed and our squadron was away in Deci but a few of us remained to do handling, etc. I did a see-off with another lad - that must have been in 1985 or 86 but I'm certain it was PL965...

Regards

Tez (ex Air Comms Fitter)

halfpenny25
28th Aug 2015, 20:06
RAY HANNA Birthday Remembrance 28-08-1928 - 01-12-2005

Remembered Always...

brokenlink
28th Aug 2015, 22:33
Halfpenny, with you on that one.

halfpenny25
30th Nov 2015, 16:44
1st December 2015 ... 10 years on ...

RAY HANNA R.I.P.

Will never be forgotten .....

toscana24
1st Dec 2015, 14:39
A story! Many years ago (late 60s) Ray used to frequent the Tiger Club at Redhill - flying Luton Betas with another ex Red Arrow and also a (Adrian Squire's) Spitfire.

One day after landing (following a few low passes of the type that only he ever did) the phone rang. An irate Naval gentleman (later a Sea Lord) was complaining about the low flying over his house.

Ray said something like he would have never complained about Spitfires in the war and, if he wants to complain about low flying I will show him what low flying is.

He then took off and buzzed the Naval man's house at ever lower altitudes until eventually the TV aerial or the roof was in severe danger. On landing Ray said I enjoyed that; I hope he complains again.

Ray, a very special pilot!

halfpenny25
27th Aug 2016, 19:12
For tomorrow Ray..

Birthday Remembrance 28th August 2016

Memories.....

mikemmb
28th Aug 2016, 18:54
Red Arrows 67-68, best boss I ever had.

So many memories.

LittlemanT16
26th Sep 2016, 18:34
I remember Ray flying a Spitfire at Tollerton airshow circa 1971. I for reasons unknown was slightly forward of the crowd line at one end. His low pass caused the grass around my feet to blow around as he went straight over me. I often wonder how close I was to being minus a head.
I think he was the first pilot I knew by name and reputation. Still remembered and missed.
ericferret, I just had to join this fine forum in order to respond to your post from a while ago as it could almost have been written by me! I still have my 'Guest' passes from two airshows at Tollerton, a blue 'John Howitt International Air Rally and Formula 1 Race Meeting' one, and the next years 'The Second...etc' in red. Sadly they don't say which year but I think you are about right, so I was 7 or 8. I too remember some fella in a Spitfire who was pretty much mowing the grass with it, and my dad saying "That's Ray Hanna that is..." As you say, the first pilot I knew the name of, and from that day I've been a fan of both Ray and 434 ever since. Thanks for the trip down memory lane ericferret. P.S. My dad worked at Howitts the Printers for many years, the Nottingham based company who sponsored at least 2 airshows there I guess.

Kiwithrottlejockey
27th Sep 2016, 02:38
Ray Hanna's best friend from his boyhood years is still very much alive and kicking. Geoff White and Ray Hanna grew up together, attended the same schools in Auckland, and were in the same Air Training Corps squadron in Auckland during their early teens. After they left school, both of them applied to enlist in the RNZAF as pilots on a five-year short service commission. Geoff was accepted, but Ray was rejected. However, Ray enlisted in the RAF instead (back when one could do that in the Dominions) and after undertaking his basic training with the RNZAF, ended up serving in the RAF for many years.

In the meantime, Geoff White obtained his wings with the RNZAF and became a transport pilot flying C-47 transports. In 1952 he was sent to England to convert onto Bristol B.170 Freighters, then delivered the second of twelve ordered by the RNZAF to New Zealand. Not long after that, his five-year short service commission was up and Geoff was offered the chance to re-enlist, but Tasman Empire Airways Ltd (TEAL) were hiring pilots at the time, so he joined the airline industry. Throughout his airline career with TEAL, then Air New Zealand, Geoff flew Short S.45A flying-boats, Douglas DC-6s, Lockheed L.188 Electras, Douglas DC-8-52s and McDonnell-Douglas DC-10-30s. So he progressed from four-engined flying-boats all the way to wide-body jets throughout his airline career. Geoff is now in his late-80s and living in Albany on the NSW-Victoria border in Australia. His son is a close friend of mine.

ericferret
28th Sep 2016, 23:29
Hi Littleman

I was at the show as guest of a school friend who's father (Alan Burton) was a flying instructor at the Sherwood Flying club. Part of the day after the show was my first ever flight in G-AVLE a Piper Cherokee. During the show a German Starfighter put in a fine effort which resulted in an irate phone call to the club being answered by Alans wife. When the caller demanded to know if it was one of their aircraft making the noise she replied "I wish it was" before putting the phone down.

We were from Hucknall and the recent loss of that airfield leaves me feeling like an orphan. The amount of time we spent round there as kids!!! Did all this aviation activity as a child lead anywhere? I became an army apprentice aircraft technician at 16 and went on to the airlines and various helicopter operators as a licensed engineer. I am now looking at the back end of a career stretching back over 40 years. Not finished just yet. I note that AVLE is still registered although not flying.

I have also remembered that Silk Engineering had a couple of their Silk Scott motorcycles on display at the show that means that it had to be 71 or 72. Unlikely to be 72 as that was my O level year and I was in the army by September.

Nice that we both have a shared memory of a great day and fine pilot.

halfpenny25
7th Dec 2016, 17:33
1st December 2016 ... Another year Ray ...

R.I.P.

mikemmb
8th Dec 2016, 20:21
Strange how some things trigger wonderful memories from good times?
Saw an Argosy the other day and smiled at the memory that flashed through my mind.

Bitteswell 68, standing at the top of an Argosy loading ramp.
Heard a commotion outside, looked out in time to see a flash of red pass under the twin tail booms.
The earth shook, or at least the Argosy did!
Yes it was Ray at his best, they dont make them like that any more.
RIP

halfpenny25
28th Aug 2017, 13:26
Birthday Remembrance.. 28th August 2017...

Always

halfpenny25
30th Nov 2017, 19:13
Squadron Leader Ray Hanna AFC*. 28-08-1928 - 01-12-2005

R.I.P. Ray

1st December 2017

Kiwithrottlejockey
30th Nov 2017, 23:05
Ray's boyhood friend, Geoff White, celebrated his 90th birthday on 27th September.

The ex-TEAL/Air New Zealand captain lost his wife last year, but he is still going strong.

halfpenny25
28th Aug 2018, 19:26
Squadron Leader Ray Hanna AFC*. 28-08-1928 — 01-12-2005

90th Birthday Remembrance...

ALWAYS .....

GeeRam
10th Sep 2018, 21:24
Squadron Leader Ray Hanna AFC*. 28-08-1928 — 01-12-2005

90th Birthday Remembrance...

ALWAYS .....

Just realised that Ray was born on the very same day as my late father's younger sister was....... 28th of the Eighth of 28..!!

LynxDriver
15th Sep 2018, 01:37
Back in 2016 we visited Ray and son Mark's graves in Parham. I was really upset at hearing of Mark's death, Ray's came like a kick in the ribs. We had enjoyed watching them at near our home at Hatfield whilst filming for Saving Private Ryan was underway. As they departed for the last time, I still recall hearing Mark over RT asking if Mr. Spielberg would like a picture of their Mustangs.

halfpenny25
28th Aug 2019, 19:00
91st Birthday Remembrance..

Always