PDA

View Full Version : pc shutting down

TIMTS
2nd Dec 2005, 01:43
lately my pc has started to shut down alot.
It will just shutdown, like it loses power, but green light on mobo still lit up.

After it shuts down, pressing the start button has no effect at all. It is like the machine needs to rest for a while. Anything from 2hrs to 24hrs later it will turn on again. Now it will either start normally, or it will not find the keyboard. After a couple of restarts it finds the keyboard and starts normally again. Now everything is fine, until is shuts down again.

The only thing I can think of is the power supply maybe going bad. It is a 400W unit.

It is running a ASUS P4R800-V Mobo, with a 3Gig CPU, 1500MB RAM, ATI X800XT Platinum Graphics card and a Audigy 2 ZS sound card.
Also has two harddrives and two DVD-ROMS

Anyone out there have any idea what this might be..and what I can do??

FlightDetent
2nd Dec 2005, 01:52
I've had almost a similar problem some time ago. Later traced to disintegrated CPU fan bearing with subseqent chip overheating and loss of computing ability withing 15 minutes after start-up. Solved at about € 10 cost. Is cooling ok on your machine?

Cheers,
FD
(the un-real)

unclenelli
2nd Dec 2005, 02:03
I had the same problem a while back.

I also use an ASUS mobo (P4S800)

My PSU (450W) was overloaded

When the PSU gets overloaded, it kills the power to the mobo main connection, but for some reason, some power remains connected resulting in the mobo LED still lit, but triggers a fault inside the PSU

The PSU reacts to this fault status by refusing to turn the PC on until the fault is cleared. The only way of clearing the fault is to remove the power suppl to the PSU, clear the problem (if any) and reconnect the power.

If this works (in simpler terms, pull the kettle cable from the PSU, then replug it, then turn th PC on) then it's the PSU

I got a nice gucci replacement from www.hipergroup.com - 580W, mesh case, modular cabling (only use what cables you need - no bundles of unused cables inside the case)