PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Solenta!

Ttailed
1st Dec 2005, 17:23
There are a few Solenta pilots who were involved in the strife in Abidjan about a year ago, the guys that were there wont easily forget what happened.

I would like to thank Solenta/DHL for their rapid evacuation plans that were very well executed at the end of October of this year. At the first sign of any action in Abidjan crews were evacuated to ACC, CKY and DKR.

THANKS,

Tt

Gunship
1st Dec 2005, 17:32
Nice to see credit given to those that earned it :ok:

What's the situation in Abidjan like at the moment?

Ttailed
1st Dec 2005, 17:40
Things are pretty much back to normal there no real signs of anything happening in the very near future I dont think.

Tt

Rudeman
2nd Dec 2005, 13:43
Dear Tt,

As mentioned by Guns the THANK YOU means a lot to us. I can assure you again that both companies are comitted to put the safety of the crew as first priority at all times.
Have fun !!
R

ruffusruffcut001
8th Dec 2005, 14:49
Tt,
I,m glad that you are happy with the way the evacuation plan was executed which is a feather in their cap.The question is , how come pilots and engineers are leaving for greener pastures(cliche) Rudeman?
Inside info reveals that all is not well.Pilots and engineers dont move from one company to another for no apparent reason.
The problem with a lot of companies is that they employ people whom have the gift of the gab but dont have a friging clue how to run/manage an aviation company and to top it all, are not prepared to listen to people who have been there a got the noddy badge.

SKYTORT
8th Dec 2005, 16:17
Dear ruffusruffcut001,

I will not elaborate on my situation, but would like to add the following comment/opinion regarding the above mentioned company.

From experience, I can finally say that, yes they don't pay well and fortunately I have had a good relationship with management, so I cannot relate to eveybody's situation. However, I can without a doubt say that Solenta has probably the BEST flying standard of any company (and I know cause I've been there, done that). They run good operations and are very very very professional - at least, if it's not for the company, then at least they know how to appoint a good bunch of pilots!:ok:

All opinions are objective and my subjective one is that I had an AWESOME time flying there...

ruffusruffcut001
8th Dec 2005, 17:56
SKYTORT,
one swallow does not make a summer

nomoneynowek
8th Dec 2005, 22:30
ya, but it doesn't necessarily make it a spitter either!!!:E :ok:

trubru
9th Dec 2005, 05:56
:ooh:

I know that it's always going to be a large factor in any job, the moola that is, but there is a lot of oyher things one should take into 'account'.
Like, are you getting your money on time, do you operate on SOP's and what's the interviewer at the next company going to think about where you're coming from......

No bones about it, Solenta pays competatively, is professional and overall it's an absolute pleasure working for them.
:ok:

CoJam
9th Dec 2005, 07:24
Heard ZS-NII over the radio in Abidjan airspace on Sunday. Heard later that they had the Presidential Protection Unit on board...probably for the visit of Thabo on Monday

Goldfish Jack
9th Dec 2005, 08:08
ZSNII now owned by ELGIN AIR - who also own BE58 ZSRCL

They like many other operators are doing a lot of government work, as the 3 x 21 Sqn Falcons are in the states being serviced and upgraded at USD 70m!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ttailed
9th Dec 2005, 14:50
Solenta have been great to me and to many other pilots, in any company their are going to be folks that have negative things to say and a whole lot of petty crap to moan about.

So ruffusruffcut001, pleae dont make your problems mine.

Solenta pay on time, have great working conditions and the company has a good morale going and hopefully that will go from strength to strength, in fact I am sure it will!

To all going to the Cmass party this evening, we will see you there in full swing and to all the dudes and dudets in the field have a great evening!!

Regards,

Tt

Majutes
9th Dec 2005, 16:56
Hey Goldfish Jack. Who owens ELGIN AIR? Think it might be an old mate of mine I would like to get in contact with. Any gen on them?

ruffusruffcut001
10th Dec 2005, 04:58
Tt,
you obviously have your head stuck up somebody,s a--e and you cant tell s--t from shine.THERE are engineers and piltos leaving the company - fact and there are more on their way out.
My point all along has been that - there are problems which some people in the company have answers for but because most of management dont come from an aviation background and are not prepared to listen.Yes , it,s a great company but the picture your,re painting is not that colourful

Ttailed
10th Dec 2005, 05:09
Dear ruffusruffcut001,

Great opinion you have, thats fine keep it and I will keep mine, thats fair.

To Solenta thanks for a great christmass party a good time was had by all. There was a toast to all in the field and we all had a good dop for you boys and gals.

Regards,

Tt

TurbineTank
10th Dec 2005, 14:59
Ttailed: So good to see you enjoying yourself at home with the Christmas party.....rubbing shoulders with management....
(Don't tell me, you have just receieved your first small Solenta christmas bonus and now enjoying being at home over December while your hard working collegues are doing the Xmas/New year run).

Solenta is not a bad company but I agree with RR001-Its not the golden rainbow you paint it. Were you working for Solenta 2 years ago when the provebial s....t hit the fan? The pleasure you reap now are only available cos the other pilots worked through the troubled times(The client was the biggest culprit.)I am not gonna elaborate cos its just not worth the effort.

We are all are so glad you safe....:hmm:
but lets stop the "praising" and get back to some real gossiping on PPRUNE

Gunship
11th Dec 2005, 08:28
:p :p :p but lets stop the "praising" and get back to some real gossiping on PPRUNE

You do not mix words turbinetank :E

Goffel
11th Dec 2005, 19:01
JetWSH.

Chinabe,I think you have missed the plot here regarding Gun'z.

Just because he makes a comment about where credit is due,does not mean that you now have to have a right royal go at the guy.

In the past Solenta has helped Gun'z out(glasses),and for that I am sure he is eternally greatful.

I think that when a guy(previous comments), gives his company credit and says thank you,I think that is his fundamental right to do so.

Sure there are guys that are unhappy with Solenta,but then there are guys that are very happy there.

Each to his own.

I think what a lot of guys have forgotten,is that when Solenta first started out,they took zero hour guy's & girl's,(low low time),and put their career's on the road to stardom.

A lot of these same guys bitched like hell because they were not earning big dollars.

What they forgot,is that a great percentage were still kids and had to earn respect.(appiship).

But then a lot of them are eternally greatful.

Most of the guys I have met at Solenta have been really great guys,and yes,when they have bitched about the company,have finished their time like grown up's and then moved on.

No matter where you go,or who you work for,people will always bitch.

So if you work for Solenta and dont like the conditions there,resign and go elsewhere and leave the position open to someone who dearly wants it.

For my sixpence worth,Solenta has done a lot of good for the aviation industry.(and no,I dont work for them).

Goffel by the sea.

:E

JetWSH
12th Dec 2005, 06:25
Goffel - your post made me think again about what I wrote, thereby my decision to rather delete the post. I do agree with you that Solenta gave many youngsters a bright start in the aviation industry, but it somettimes felt like they were exploiting them in unnessasary ways. It angered me senseless to see good friends of mine having to put up with the crap most of the time. The biggest problem for the guys on the ATR fleet was mainly imparted from Solenta's biggest client - DHL. They were the culprits who felt nothing for the guys and abused them around every other corner. I guess the anger was then played down on Solenta because they were the ones paying the salaries.

In a nutshell, Solenta is an EXCELLENT stepping stone. Many many guys have left Solenta and joined some of the best airlines in the world - including major international carriers. But as long as they allow the guys to work under said conditions, they can not expect loyalty from them - i.e 8 week tours, non-market related salaries (not trying to match what domestic regionals are paying, being on contract should earn you more than a few bucks more), expecting pilots to fly with out-of-date navigation equipment, no proper Jepps on board an airliner type aircraft.

Other than that, the training the guys received was very good and the standard of flying due to SOP creation, matches SA airlines back home.

Yes, Solenta IS a good company to work for in some respects but they could be excellent if they would sacrifice a little from their own pockets and impart happines down to the crew going out to make the money for them up in darkest of Africa.

SOLENTA, why can you not match 5 week tours like ET does and pay the guys the same at least? You will see a drastic improvement in the level of loyalty and happines from most guys and even see less guys leave.

By the way Gunz, I apologise for having shot at you. I deleted the post.

Cheers.

340_co-jock
12th Dec 2005, 07:41
Check your pm. just sent you an email.
Cheers

GUSTO
12th Dec 2005, 07:50
Solenta is a very good company to work for.

1) We are flying with a high standard and this is not usual in Africa .

2) The maintenance is up to standard . Go next door and compare , you gonna cry .

3) The accomodations are nice and fully equiped.

4) The salaries are not that bad .

5) The company provide Sim training every year , this make a big difference .

6) We have great people in SA looking after us , a BIG THANKS to RIKE .

nozzle
12th Dec 2005, 09:54
Gusto Meaning next door at Lanseria which would be Fugro not so.

Airforce1
12th Dec 2005, 13:31
Couple of comments Grizzly Bare...
You are obviously a Solenta ATR driver.
On the topic of the safety competency of the ET ATR crew is not all of the ET ATR crew: ex-Solenta except the chief pilot of course (most left on a good note!)?. I don't think JETWSH is pointing at this setup, perhaps the B1900 setup where there is a big salary scale difference. Many of the ET ATR crew have been so many times to the SIM with Solenta-they are well experienced on type-If you are to point fingers, is the safety margin not compromised by Solenta upgrading Captains too soon due to company demand.

Both of these companys are of high standard-but I am not gonna paint a pretty picture for either one nor any other contract company-South African civil aviation market does not afford that luxury of the "perfect company”. Far as I am concerned if you are working for Solenta,ET,Naturelink,KAS etc- there is minimal difference between the companys. We are all mostly on contract cos we are waiting in the que for our place in the airlines back home, and if you are from another company then you are competition in the job market-and your own training and experiance is always best, is it not...?
Any slagging is wet behind the ear pups- all proud of their company trying to be beraad.

So for this thread that started as a Hallmark card-is now heading for slagging match.....but then again everyone is entitled to their 2 cents
:E

MysticFlyer
12th Dec 2005, 16:06
Explain - "beraad"!!!???

Bert, you may chirp in, feel free.....:O

MF
Sak Sarel, pa wil 'n bok skiet....:E (lekker lag ekke nou vi my eie k@k.......!!!!)

Ttailed
12th Dec 2005, 18:11
Hello all,

Thanks for all your replies, I didn't think that this post would attract so much attention. I was being very honest in extending a hand of thanks to Solenta as I think they did a good job.

I am not up any of top managements arses either.

There were some positive responses as well as some negative responses and all have been taken heed of thanks!

I can agree with all the positive feedback as that has truly been my experience with this company. The negative things that have been said might be true to those who experienced them, so bad for you!

In closing Solenta is a great company and I am sure many other pilots will still walk in and out of their doors remembering great times, great morale as well as a proffesional attitude towards the work we do.

Good Luck,

Tt

ruffusruffcut001
13th Dec 2005, 02:17
Tt,
another 2 people resigned yesterday

Ttailed
13th Dec 2005, 02:45
rr001,

Good for them.

Regards,

Tt

JetWSH
13th Dec 2005, 04:32
RufCut

Any idea if the resignations were from the pilot pool or engineering pool?

JW

nozzle
13th Dec 2005, 07:00
I dought from the maintance side because according to Gusto the maintance is up to standard( And every ather company isnt).So if its engineers they would CRY some where else.

Mungalui
13th Dec 2005, 07:42
I hear Solenta has got a new contract in Liberia.
Flying out of Monrovia and they are looking for Caravan drivers.
Anybody know anything about this? :hmm:

ruffusruffcut001
13th Dec 2005, 14:43
Jetwash,
1 engineer and some guy whom was in charge of the pettycash box which was stolen from the hangar

maxrated
14th Dec 2005, 11:08
T Tailed,

Dude you should not have to thank your company for "pulling" you out of a dangerous situation on contract. They should be obligated to do so, please dont think that they did you a favour.

Infact I'm quite supprised that a crew in a country embroiled in a civil war situation would even have to get management to organise this. Use your own initiative here, go to the airport get in the planes and fly away.

In any event most contract company operations management are uncontactable after 14h30 on a friday afternoon.

In the old Rossair days during the 'first troubles' in Abijan, the first time the management knew that we had left the contract was when we placed a telephone call from the poolside of the Golden Tulip Hotel in Accra to let them know where we were.

Management sitting 3000 miles away from where you are, would hardly be in a situation to make a more accurate assesment of a security situation infield in the middle of a 'coup de tate' or civil war.

As a general rule, when the going gets tough, get the hell outta dodge , along with all the company petty cash you can scrape together, then you can let management know what happend from the luxury of a nice hotel room somewhere safe.

If you are going to risk your life and aircraft at least do it with the purpose of potentially saving other peoples lives, not in order to
pander to the inane whims of that French Tart that was running the show up there when all those ugly things happend to the previous Solenta crew.

As I recall she actively obstructed the original evacuation attempts of the previous solenta guys in Abijan, from the safety of her very well appointed apartment on the Saint Germain Boulevard in Paris to which she herself had fled to, at the first sign of trouble.

Risking your life, crew and aircraft to save a sick child or evacuate refugees is heroic, risking the same so that the DHL mailbags leave on time is just silly !!

Fly Safe..

Gunship
14th Dec 2005, 11:14
risking the same so that the DHL mailbags leave on time is just silly !!

maxi ... you are obviously not waiting for your Xmass pressie full of Biltong like I am :E

MysticFlyer
14th Dec 2005, 11:41
Guns, I think this posting was a good one. Your attitude according to me is now bordering heavy on the windgat side.:*

These guys go onto contract expecting difficult and pressing conditions, in the hope of making a honest clean income, not to expand their retirement fund into a known war zone....they are always unarmed, or should be.

Hope you enjoy your biltong when it arrives in TIP thinking about these trying conditions of these chaps! Pipe down, most of them also paid for their own licences, trying now to recover those funds!

MF

TurbineTank
14th Dec 2005, 12:48
You on the money MaxRated...
For all those who would remember 2004:
"Africa is not for sissy's-You are all replaceable"

MysticFlyer
14th Dec 2005, 13:01
K@k attitude, and that should build morale amongst the troops?!

Not in my Management 101, or "How to be a well liked Beenkop" - (Fok N Lubbe).

Beeech19
14th Dec 2005, 19:13
Hey guys;

The contract in Liberia is fact. Two C208B's. They will be working for the UN.

Not sure if they need crew. God help the guys/gals who go there on contract, where will they stay? Hotel Africa with the Russian UN pilots? eeessshh!

Email Roland Jones at Solenta if you want to know.

jj

Coleman Myers
15th Dec 2005, 11:56
I heard the management of Solenta are very fair to their crew but the owners are a bit iffy and therefore people are not secure - can't be that iffy with their record growth !!!.

Er, then again, maybe thats why they have had record growth !!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

maxrated
15th Dec 2005, 14:38
Off the thread subject slightly but I am reliably informed that Solenta have bought Federal Air, if true then it should be a good marriage.

Anyone heard this as well ????:ok:

Exhaust Manifold
17th Dec 2005, 08:57
Solenta have bought 50% of Fedair (not sure which 50% though:p ).

They've also stopped using the twotters in Sudan and are now going to use vans instead. Also heard that they've got a new contract in Sierra Leone (spelling:confused: ).

On the topic of bitching about which company is the "greatest":

All company's have their problems. The grass is always greener, just remember that for the grass to be green there has to be manure somewhere :ok:

Coleman Myers
17th Dec 2005, 11:18
Do Solenta have maintenance facilities in all the Southern African countries ?.

MysticFlyer
17th Dec 2005, 11:24
Thinking again of the politician's (Leon Scheister's) saying: "One could always double-cross those Bridges, when you get to them...."

This purely meant as a joke! Honestly!

MF

ruffusruffcut001
18th Dec 2005, 05:43
E.M
WHICH COMPANY IS THE GREATEST?
The one which listens to it,s people and tries it,s best to solve the problems.I know there are a million pilots and engineers with a million problems but out there ,out of those million people some have answers to make their company the greatest.
The problem is that the people at the top only want yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir, people.
As to the grass is greener , this now is long in the tooth and has become a cliche.