PDA

View Full Version : Huey for Sale

B Sousa
30th Nov 2005, 23:08
Heres one for you boys and girls:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Huey-1HUH-Helicopter_W0QQitemZ4593428661

Its a bit more than the folks at Helibase would pay.....Considering they dont pay if they can get away with it....
But at least its some competition.
Do like others in SA, paint it, get some parts from Builders Supply and buzz the beaches..........
Paint your own ZS or ZU on the side and get a big roll of tickets....
No Reg, No C/A, no Worries...........

chopper-wrench
30th Nov 2005, 23:28
Some well cultured corrosion on that beast!

It should slot right into the system. Watch the space!

30th Nov 2005, 23:38
US$75k ?? Wow, thats steep! As the "chopper-wrench" says, serious corrosion on that poor chopper!

B Sousa
1st Dec 2005, 00:00
Wrongo. I do believe thats not corrosion but paint peeling from the original Flat OD color, Probably just covered over with non matching paint. Almost every Huey that has been around for a while looks like the paint is shot.. Used to see it quite often in the Military..........
However, if it is corrosion it would fit in well in the Cape. I mean salt air etc.....I think they have a tinsmith at helibase who in fact did some pretty good work albiet not necesarily under any license....

Gunship
1st Dec 2005, 06:02
Wonder how long it will take for the bait to be taken ...

Then again they are quite "busy" :E

African Tech Rep
1st Dec 2005, 08:41
Umm – the paint may just be wear – but the transmission (? – I’m not a Huey expert) is showing definite signs of corrosion and rust – rust obviously on the steel bits, studs / tie rod ends, corrosion one the ally / mag (?) bits top of transmission / around drain (upper right) – the engine actuators also show rust as does the electrical conduit connectors.

Looks like it’s spent a bit of time outside out of service.

Hope it gets a good home

MysticFlyer
1st Dec 2005, 09:33
Or a lack of reply could be due to the "kool" not being worth the Sousa.

Well that my 2c worth

Only a joke Bert :p But on a serious note, I would like to see where all of this would have ended up in a nice and propper legal system. No hang on, that's another....

....hat, coat...door, I know! (where's my boy, he shouldn't get too happy!)

MF:E

Ps. Jonas, die baas wil ry! Solly gaat saam, vandag leer hy vlieg! Leftpedal en saywhat is sy instructors en as ons hulle fire oor hy nie gevlieg kan kry nie, het birdlady weer 'n job! Beechjet, heard of a S.I.P. BEE appointment? Suspended - Investigation Pending almost like in Patent Pending, but that doesn't stop even the Chinese from abusing intellectual property, why do you think they're building Bob's house?

B Sousa
1st Dec 2005, 13:33
I would like to see where all of this would have ended up in a nice and propper legal system. No hang on, that's another....

No Doubt the Brothers Gary are drooling over some cheap timex parts..............
I also agree that thing is ready for the scrap heap..........But so are some others mentioned on this forum....Take a look at their original pictures. They are still posted on the closed thread.
Paint can sometimes be your best friend.

African Tech Rep
1st Dec 2005, 13:52
I also agree that thing is ready for the scrap heap

Nasty Nasty - it's ready to be donated to a museum.
Things are different in the US but back home I'm pretty sure some guys would give some TLC.

B Sousa
1st Dec 2005, 14:03
Things are different in the US but back home I'm pretty sure some guys would give some TLC.

Maybe, but not for 75,000 scoots..........

African Tech Rep
1st Dec 2005, 15:42
True – it would need to be a well funded museum for that and not many are.

I belive there’s a US law that require “public institutions” to be offered ex military things before they’re scrapped – in the UK you have to bid and are “fighting” scrap merchants.

When the sellers realised he ain’t going to get that much maybe he’ll be nice and offer to museums - I think it’s still a tax write off in the US if he’s listening.

& - Yes I once worked in a museum – it was basically closed by BA.

B Sousa
1st Dec 2005, 16:32
I belive there’s a US law that require “public institutions” to be offered ex military things before they’re scrapped – in the UK you have to bid and are “fighting” scrap merchants.

That is true to an extent. Problem is a lot of the Museums then traded for other hard to get items and some things the Government did not want out in Public, got there. That helped dry up the well so to speak.

African Tech Rep
1st Dec 2005, 19:06
Still better than the UK

TSR2 sent to firing range AS TARGET – saved only by too many other targets so didn’t get shot at for years – then someone VERY senior saw it and is supposed to have stopped exercise so it could go to museum.
(Govt didn’t want “memories” as they canx project to but F111’s they then couldn’t afford – plane supposedly as good if not better than MRCA “Tornado” - according to guy who flew both as test pilot)
Nimrod AEW – ha – dozens of museums trying get one (without radar etc) – MOD response “what’s one of those?”
Vulcan 903 – test one for just about everything inc Blue Steel (UK’s Nuke and Concorde’s engines) destroyed in front of my eyes (although we did get cockpit – bought of scrap man for LOTS) – “bog standard” ones did get museums.

Silliest = Canberra we bought as “scrap” – MOD went BARMY as type still in service for ECM (spying) – two years if threats etc etc, but they couldn’t do much as they would have looked STUPID (contract never said how quickly to scrap it – then call from only operational squadron “any chance yours still has X / Y / Z? – we need some” – we swapped for some thing we needed (an day out) – MOD = never mentioned it again.:ok:

Edited to say “oops”
Seems I just hijacked a thread – sorry
BUT
Before you scrap something – offer it to some museums – they will be grateful.