PDA

View Full Version : Wearing yellow fluorescent jackets at FACT

FO Gyro
30th Nov 2005, 21:09
Has anyone else been hassled by ACSA staff to wear yellow flourescent jackets when walking from the a/c to the terminal building?

A couple of days ago, as aircrew in uniform, they gave me hard time asking where my yellow jacket was. I said to them that if I was walking from the a/c, heading for the side security gate, without my jacket, would that be ok? She said yes. Apparently you are not required to wear the jacket if going out of the airport through this entrance. I said to her, with tears in my eyes, why can I walk all along the apron, which is some distance, not wearing a yellow jacket, but be in the wrong for walking a short distance from say A7 to the building? The logic here makes me really shake my head in amusement!!!

Another one is they make you put your flight bag through the scanner on the way out as well. I often argue with them and say that I am not scanned if I use the domestic arrivals hall, so why now? Again the logic fails here again. Out of principal for the lack of logic, I refuse to put my bag through, saying I will use the arrivals hall to access the parking lot. They often don't know what to say. Why would I take a bomb off the aircraft to blow up my house! Again, crew just getting hassled unnecessarily.

nugpot
30th Nov 2005, 21:21
You are not alone.

Security at CPT is a constant hassle. Leaving through arrivals hall is a temporary reprieve. We have been quoted the National Keypoints Act, which states that "wackers" must enter and leave through different points from visitors/passengers.

The jacket thing flares up every 6 months or so. Just ignore it for now.

challengeall
1st Dec 2005, 03:03
guys this is ACSA you dealing with remember - somehow they need to divert your attention from the runway escapade
;)
enjoy it - you never going to meet a bigger bunch of idiots than acsa FACT

Gunship
1st Dec 2005, 05:57
Sorry to throw a spanner in the worx oke's ...

As a non-Airline Pilot type I have never used a glim jacket until now.

In Ghana, and Libya you will not enter airside without one .. does not matter if you are an SAA Captain or an Astraeus hostie.

I personaly do not have a problem with it. It reduces the risk a helluva lot.

All English crews always has these jackets with them.

Why not "us " ?

Cheers,

Gunss

nugpot
1st Dec 2005, 06:27
Gunss,

We wear them on the line. Crew members have permission to enter airside (our offices are airside) and walk to work. You are also allowed to go to your a/c without one. If you do preflight or move around on apron, you need to wear one.

The problem is that every now and then, the rules suddenly change. One idiot will stop you and ask where your jacket is. This is nothing more than harassment, because everything suddenly goes back to normal when you complain to ACSA Apron Manager.

Gunship
1st Dec 2005, 07:07
I see your point mate.

I am sounding like an old moanpot if I say - if I was in charge - it would have been compulsory airside for everybody.

I just think the safety factor is a higher priority than a bit of uncomfy factor.

PS: One of our airlines has a great one - it is basically a few grams and has a "gause" for ventilation in hot climates.

Cheers

Gunss

nugpot
1st Dec 2005, 08:25
Ours are very nice, but they do look slightly ridiculous over the jackets that these nasty airlines make you wear. ;)

Also, the velcro stuffs up the material quite badly.

I normally swop dress jacket for yellow one at office and then swop back when I return. Great when you don't do nightstops.

Gunship
15th Dec 2005, 15:17
Nugpot (and other PPRUNERS interested). I am still trying to get you a manufacturer.. the one I used (over my beer belly) was really great and would fold up in a denim pocket.

Really small and very usefull when needed on the flightline.

Cheers

Gunss

captain cumulonimbus
15th Dec 2005, 20:14
Guns,I agree they are much safer and i wear one on the aprn and CERTAINLY always when doing a preflight...but the poms use every excuse to put on a yellow jacket so their use of them isn't a shiningly good example they just grab every chance to look officious...they wear them while sweeping underground stations for heaven's sake!

ANVAK
16th Dec 2005, 05:46
Another one is they make you put your flight bag through the scanner on the way out as well.
I often ask them what they're actually looking for - judging by the answers they either have no clue, or its top secret mag nie se nie stuff.:rolleyes:

south coast
16th Dec 2005, 07:07
agree with guns...as a pilot in and out of the uk, one would not dare walk around the ramp without one on!

as for the english wearing green jackets all the time...when you have temporary ownership of the ashes, you can do whatever you want.

shoot it up your a@se!:ok:

captain cumulonimbus
16th Dec 2005, 09:32
You suggesting i "shoot the ashes up my arse".Kindof devalues the whole ashes thing that...oh well,they're not worth much anyway:cool:

Goldfish Jack
18th Dec 2005, 04:58
The least said about ACSA, Cape Town the better.

They have NO IDEA how to run an airport - some of the rubbish they come up with is amazing.

Never mind the yellow jackets - they are now inspecting all the dolleys that are being towed behind tractors to see if they have a safety pin in their towing and locking mechanisms!!!!!!!

Me thinks the airside safety section has been given a rocket for failing an audit and now they are trying to be efficient, or the CAA is coming to do an audit on them.

Do agree with wearing a yellow jacket on the airside, but where in the world will you find a company that allows another company to have their operational and non-operational offices inside the security area.

You should see the shambles at the tower security gate - if you enter from the landside you are searched, but if you enter from the hangar gate, where there is also no security, you can drive through with no search - the gates are next to each other and the same staff check you. So if you want to smuggle anything onto the airport, just drive through the hangar area and you wont be searched.

ACSA = Association of Completely Stupid A(*&(*&^oles - which about sums it up.

They certainly have had a good run at messing it up recently - wonder what they will do next - at least we have some humour here - we need it with their management.

Gunship
19th Dec 2005, 12:39
when you have temporary ownership of the ashes, you can do whatever you want.

:p :p :p :p

Great one S C :p :p