PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair and cockpit visits

madbadrob
30th Nov 2005, 14:57
As an avid enthusiast I will be flying to Dublin in January for 24 hours spotting plusof course the mandatory getting drunk :) What would the pilots response be to attending the flight deck either on the ground or in the air to take a couple of photo's with a digital camera. Having never flown on a commercial aircraft although I have 200 or so hours with the Air cadets this would be my first chance to see the multitude of differences between lights and civillian commercial aircraft cockpits.

Rob

Getoutofmygalley
30th Nov 2005, 15:40
Whilst I don't work for Ryanair, I can safely say that in the air you have absolutely no chance of getting into the cockpit (or flight deck as it should really be referred too), due to all the security rules that airlines in Europe have to follow.

On the ground, well you have a chance but if you are 'manadatorily (?) drunk', then you will have no chance and possibly won't even be allowed to fly!!!

Your best bet would be to ask one of the cabin crew on boarding if it will be possible for a quick look, but don't expect to spend more than about 1 minute in there as the pilots will be busy getting ready for either that sector (if you are boarding) or the next sector (if you are disembarking).

Wing Commander Fowler
30th Nov 2005, 23:25
Don't bother pretending you have a mate or relative who works for FR just be honest and ask the question...... Most of us are only too happy to spare a few moments for our fare paying passengers and will happily oblige (on the ground of course and after landing as suggested). Don't expect to be able to take photos, it MAY be permitted but many are understandably camera shy..... :ok:

madbadrob
1st Dec 2005, 03:20
Hi all,

Thanks for the response. Firstly I should have made it clear that the drunkness will be in the evening after a few hours spotting. I intend to sample as much of the Dublin life as possible including meeting up with an internet friend.

I would never tell a lie to get myself anywhere as I have found that you usually fail. I was just going to say could I go to the flightdeck for a quick look and a photo or two, which having read the replies seems to be the best way and as I said in my original post this was to be on landing. I don't want the 1st or the Cap in the pics for obvious reasons its the aircraft I am interested in :)

Once again thanks for the replies

Rob

Avman
1st Dec 2005, 14:08
I intend to sample as much of the Dublin life as possible including meeting up with an internet friend.

madbadrob , who is she and will you be posting the photos to your fellow PPRuNers?!! :E ;)

madbadrob
1st Dec 2005, 14:13
Avman said who is she and will you be posting the photos to your fellow PPRuNers?!!

He is a she but for fellow users as I am new.

My name is Rob I am a 35 yr old guy who lives only a few miles from Doncaster Airport. I spend as much time as I can at the airfield on what we endearingly call Spotters Lane. Be careful though there are two sides to this lane and the other side we have endearingly called Doggers Lane :)

Yes if I get the pictures I will indeed share them online. Along with the one decent shot I have of Virgin's A400 doing T&G's at NEMA 2 weeks ago

Rob

Crepello
1st Dec 2005, 14:31
I think Avman meant the photos of your friend, not (just) the flight deck. Or maybe just post them all and we'll tell you which are the best ones.

Incidentally, to get the best photos in Dublin I'd go easy on the Doncaster Airport reminisences for the first few hours... Just kidding mate. ;)

madbadrob
1st Dec 2005, 14:46
Unfortunately the She at Dub is in fact an HE. No I aint gay before people start wondering just someone I have known for 2 years in an internet chat room

Rob

Frankfurt_Cowboy
1st Dec 2005, 15:38
Would you let a character called "Madbadrob" in to your flightdeck?

Wing Commander Fowler
2nd Dec 2005, 00:04
....... well I married a woman called f@cking bitch!!!

madbadrob
2nd Dec 2005, 03:33
But my passport doesn't have that in :) There is a story behind the name. When I joined the net the first thing I did was go to lycos games to play chess. It wanted a username and I allowed it to choose one for me. That was madbadrob and it as stuck with me since then

Rob