PDA

View Full Version : Airband radio

colmac747
29th Nov 2005, 22:12
Have no idea if this has been done before.(and if it's the right the place to post this?)... Have checked, but briefly..

Sitting back on my chair listening to local/global ATC - and thoroughly enjoying doing so - a thought occured:}

What if all airband fans had a dedicated thread/spot to discuss/listen/share info/passing of freq's? etc

The numerous times i've heard an aircraft being passed over to a different sector or area and then losing all contact is plainly annoying.

So, i propose:confused: some sort of thread where an enthusiast hears 'something of note' so we can all track the 'craft in situ' by using a thread to post relevant snippets regarding a flight... worldwide included.

HF radio is easier, but even then, once the aircraft loses Oceanic status, it's very less difficult to follow - similarly a plane leaving, say Copenhagen control(VHF), is not as easy to pick up once further afield..

Don't really know if i'm making sense, but the airband fan out there will get the jist of this..

{I do know Live ATC is avaibale via the 'net - but there's something pleasing to hear it in the flesh}

BRL
30th Nov 2005, 03:18
It is technically illigal to listen to an airband scanner in the uk at the moment.

They know you do it but it is still illegal.

I think listening to and passing on information of what you have heard to others is the bit that will get you in trouble so a thread, forum etc will not be possible I imagine here at pprune.

BOAC
30th Nov 2005, 07:24
Colmac - as BRL says, the use of scanners on communication bands is 'technically' illegal in the UK. I do not propose to have yet another discussion on this here and will close this thread to prevent endless repetition. Have a read of this previous thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=151544&highlight=scanner) to start you off. You will find lots of links to occupy your rainy days there. Notice I am NOT saying that no-one uses them in the UK.

For the same reason of illegality, I doubt very much that any internet server in the UK would host a forum on such. You never know, however, someone may PM you with some information!

Happy Googling!:D