PDA

View Full Version : Atlas to get invovled in pax traffic?

Grunf
29th Nov 2005, 21:36
Atlas Air looking at providing passenger lift

Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings President and CEO Jeffrey Erickson said in London yesterday that Atlas is looking to go into the passenger ACMI business using 747-400s. Speaking at the Air Cargo Seminar that opened the Future of Air Transport Conference, Erickson said the company hopes to build on its business relationships with cargo ACMI customers, grow its ACMI base and add a new revenue stream. The business would be a good fit, he said, because it is countercyclical with cargo activities, peaking in the summer while cargo has its big peak in the fourth quarter with a smaller peak in early spring. Atlas is on the lookout for used 747-400 passenger aircraft, possibly from airlines shedding their 747 fleets or moving over to A380s.

================================

So any thoughts since this might hit some of you guys?

zerozero
1st Dec 2005, 04:11
The rumor I heard was troop transport along the lines of what ATA does.

But if he made comments referencing seasonal passenger markets, well, that doesn't sound like troop transport.

non sched
1st Dec 2005, 19:14
zerozero

There's a good discussion on another forum about this and the consensus is that Atlas would have to operate passenger aircraft for a year before being eligible for military pax contracts. Also, the military seems to be moving toward using smaller aircraft instead of larger ones.

Outside of flying for the military the market is pretty limited for ACMI contracts using such a large aircraft. The rates would obviously be high and users would need to fill a lot of seats on a consistent basis to justify it. I would like to hear what market the CEO believes is available for these aircraft.

zerozero
1st Dec 2005, 20:00
Thanks for putting that rumor to rest!

Personally I don't know why anyone would get involved in the pax market these days.

Pound for pound, freight is where the money's at.

But who am I? I just drive.

Ciao.

Earl
2nd Dec 2005, 14:34
Quite a few 747 ACMI operators during the Haj
season.
But this would only be around 2.5 months work.

74world
3rd Dec 2005, 05:41
Atlas apparently will be involve in ACMI PAX because they are taking delivery of ex PX 400s but it will take time to convert them into freighters.

Word around is that the customer might be Etihad......EY wants to fly to NY but don't have (as of today) landing rights, it could take up to 2 years to obtain, in the mean time they will will using Atlas's slot into JFK.

Cheers...:cool: