PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Flights to Hong Kong

AerBabe
29th Nov 2005, 18:41
My brother moved to Hong Kong a couple of years ago and, despite being an adoring/loving/doting sister, I still haven't made it out to visit him... :O

However, this spring I am going to go! I want to be there for around 10 days at the beginning of March. There seems to be a huge range of prices for flights, and several routes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'd prefer to avoid a stop-over and am happy to pay a little extra for a direct flight. I want to keep it as cheap as possible though... I'm not restricted by day/time etc. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

1DC
29th Nov 2005, 20:48
From the gist of your post you wouldn't do it anyway because it involves a plane change, but, do not use the Bangladesh national carrier. Some friends of ours used them because they were the cheapest and experienced a nightmare flight ,both ways ( to the point of being frightened at one stage).

sierraquebec777
30th Nov 2005, 03:30
hmmm but u didnt state where u r from or which country u will be flying out of to HKG

TG345
30th Nov 2005, 08:58
In my experience I would think you will find pretty competitive fares at opodo.co.uk - I fly UK / Far East every month or so, and they almost always get my business.

Flip Flop Flyer
30th Nov 2005, 12:09
The proifle bit saying "Nest in Essex" should give you a faint geographic hint!

AerBabe

Try googling "Cheap Flights UK to Hong Kong" - I just tried and a phalanx of hits ensued.

Non-stop seems to be a fixed USD 748 fee (BA, VS etc). One-stop from USD 575 (SR) / USD 609 (KL). All based on a LHR departure.

You're welcome :cool:

Globaliser
30th Nov 2005, 15:48
AerBabe: Does anyone have any suggestions?How flexible are you for dates? Can you wait until after Christmas before you book? If so, I would advise waiting until then. BA usually has a post-Christmas sale, in which it tries to dump a lot of the excess capacity that's available in the first quarter. If you want to go to HKG at the beginning of March, it's a good candidate for the sale. There are no guarantees, but if it does come up in the sale, you may be able to pick up a much cheaper fare than is currently available. The other airlines may well match the fares too.

aaaaa
1st Dec 2005, 06:29
I dont know about March, but BA have got some good deals going at the moment until the New Year. Always worth watching them.

petitfromage
4th Dec 2005, 07:11
If your dates are flexible try Cathay.
We've just started (1 Dec) a 4th daily flight to LHR. To boost the load factors there are some cheap tickets around.

Also try travelocity.com, ebookers.com or opodo.co.uk - there are some cheapies there but flights are not direct.

PS. Dont come until Mar/Apr as Feb is just too cold here; its gets down to 8deg sometimes!

Goodluck

[Ed for CNY: Chinese New Year is early, last week of January]

pulse1
4th Dec 2005, 07:21
I don't know when it is this year but avoid going close to the Chinese New Year. All flights to that area tend to be full.

AerBabe
4th Dec 2005, 18:42
Thanks for all the help so far. For those who didn't get the 'Essex' hint - I'm in the UK. Sorry I forgot to make that clear. :O

I am flexible on dates and don't have to book in any hurry. Waiting until after Christmas is probably better for my credit card anyway!

My only problem now is that my brother has just moved, so doesn't have room for me to stay any more. Looks like I'll have to find myself a cheap and not-too-dodgy hotel as well. :bored:

OZcabincrew
5th Dec 2005, 14:13
what are Qantas' fares from LHR to HKG?

AUTOGLIDE
5th Dec 2005, 17:28
KLM do some good rates via AMS. The usual websites will do a deal on a flight/hotel combo that can be pretty good.

Globaliser
5th Dec 2005, 18:09
AerBabe: Looks like I'll have to find myself a cheap and not-too-dodgy hotel as well.One usually-reliable recommendation is the YMCA on Salisbury Road in Tsimshatsui. It runs a budget hotel which is not a hostel. It may not be the cheapest place in town, but it's safe and good, and the location can't really be beaten. Have a look and see whether it's within your budget.OZcabincrew: what are Qantas' fares from LHR to HKG? Published, the same as the others'. From consols, much the same, IME: More often slightly dearer than slightly cheaper.

OZcabincrew
6th Dec 2005, 15:42
Qantas were about 530 pounds return, is that expensive?

Globaliser
6th Dec 2005, 18:10
Out of sale time, no - that's about the level of the cheapest low season published fare plus tax.

But you can get sale fares for £400 return or even less, including tax, for the nonstops. It just depends on whether HKG is being offered in the sale that you're looking at, for the dates that you want to fly.

petitfromage
7th Dec 2005, 11:01
Plenty of options for accom on HK Island too.....after living in essex, im sure even wan chai isnt that dodgy!

This place is superb and a great location (island side) http://www.bishopleihtl.com.hk/

...a few others here: http://webserv1.discoverhongkong.com/eng/mustknow/search/mk_sear_resu.jsp?qLocation=ALL

newswatcher
12th Dec 2005, 11:40
AerBabe, I have also been planning a trip for end May. Warning, fares change frequently. For example, Cathay had an inclusive fare of about £430 until two weeks ago, it's now £530. Cheapest is Qatar, with changes about 4 hours outbound and two hours back, but the inclusive fare currently £366.

Lazy vacation (http://www.lazyvacation.co.uk/) offering QANTAS for about £410inc until end March.

If you don't mind a plane change soon into journey, then Air France are from £370 at the start of March,with changes of about two hours each way.

Cathay announced today a resumption of flights from Manchester, with stop in Moscow, no plane change. Guess there may be some good fares initially.

In addition to booking sites mentioned, try also Airline Network (http://www.airline-network.co.uk/index.asp)

Globaliser
22nd Dec 2005, 13:17
AerBabe: I am flexible on dates and don't have to book in any hurry. Waiting until after Christmas is probably better for my credit card anyway! You know how all the shops have started their post-Christmas sales already?

Well, it seems that BA has done likewise. Press release (http://bapress.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bapress.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=&p_lva=&p_faqid=7177) out today:-World Offers Sale Now On

British Airways launches its winter sale today, Thursday 22nd December, with discounts of more than 50% on some flights.

The ‘World Offers’ sale includes flights to over 150 destinations with more than 1.5 million discounted seats for travel on selected dates between 5th January and 9th December 2006.

Longhaul prices start from £249 to New York ( a saving of £131 on the current fare) , Cairo and Abu Dhabi from £279, Orlando from £299 (a saving of £170), Barbados from £399 (a saving of £223) and Hong Kong from £399 (a saving of £137).

...Remainder available at that link.

Don't know about availability, but it's usually pretty good for this sale. Watch for the applicable travel dates. Also, BA often simultaneously load sale fares for travel periods other than those headlined, so it's worth pricing other times of the year, if you're interested, to see whether the prices look any good.

The other airlines will probably now follow suit, too, so it'll be worth trying them in a day or so.

newswatcher
24th Dec 2005, 11:30
Thanks for that reference globaliser. Somewhat confusing, Hong Kong offer is shown to end March only, but fares still available at end May!!

Globaliser
24th Dec 2005, 14:59
The trick that they've played is that the sale fare (N class) beyond the end of March is priced at £2 more than the N class sale fare for Jan-Mar. There's actually good availability right to the end of June, and then the sale fare is valid again from 1 September right through into December. At the moment, I can't see how long the season is because ba.com won't price December 2006 dates yet and I haven't got the link to a fare rules listing with me.

chippy63
29th Dec 2005, 14:33
Aerbabe,
There is a place called the Helena May for single ladies to stay. A lovely old colonial style building just slightly out of central on the way up to Mid-levels.
www.helenamay.com

Globaliser
30th Dec 2005, 17:05
newswatcher: Somewhat confusing, Hong Kong offer is shown to end March only, but fares still available at end May!! OK, here we go:-

NLNNGB8, GBP 293.00 + taxes etc. - SEASONS: 5JAN-31MAR06

NHNNGB8, GBP 295.00 + taxes etc. - SEASONS: 1APR-30JUN06 OR 1SEP-9DEC06

newswatcher
17th Jan 2006, 18:05
Sorry globaliser, only just seen your latest post. As a New Year's gift, my company now make PPrune a "banned" site!!

I was referring to the BA "World Sale" site which showed then, and still shows(just checked) that the travel dates are 05Jan06-31Mar06, even though, as you have indicated, the fares are actually available later in the year.:confused:

AerBabe
18th Jan 2006, 09:35
There is a place called the Helena May for single ladies to stay.

Thanks for all the help chaps. I did find some really good prices. We're still doing the maths, but I don't think we'll be able to afford it with the a hotel as well. :{

PetitFromage - You mentioned WanChai ... guess where my brother used to live! :uhoh:

Globaliser
18th Jan 2006, 15:53
I was referring to the BA "World Sale" site which showed then, and still shows(just checked) that the travel dates are 05Jan06-31Mar06, even though, as you have indicated, the fares are actually available later in the year.:confused:Yes, it's puzzling. The only reasons I can think of for this are (a) to encourage a "buy now while stocks last" rush or (b) just to price match other carriers so that the BA fares show up when an all airlines search is done for other dates.

Whatever the reason, I intend to enjoy these fares!