PDA

View Full Version : Kemble

LGS6753
29th Nov 2005, 15:32
I can't quite believe that there's no Kemble thread on this forum. It's currently got more airliners 'based' than Coventry, Humberside, Liverpool, Exeter, Southend, Norwich, Gloucester, Cardiff, Blackpool, etc.

Unfortunately the said 'based' aircraft are in store. There are currently 10 BAe 146/RJs on the field (another arrived yesterday), together with 2 747s (one in hybrid Corsair/European colours arrived yesterday) and the remains of a 757 (the first 757 to be parted out, I think ex-Royal Brunei).

To say nothing of an ex- RAF Britannia 253 and what looks like an ATP. There's even an apparently airworthy Dove/Devon. If anyone knows how long the period of storage is likely to be, please post.

Previously 'based' were the three ex-My Travel DC-10s, which left for South Africa after filming an episode of 'Ultimate Force'.

Projected routes from Kemble are somewhat limited, presumably because of technical issues like no terminal, insufficiently licensed airfield, no airline stupid enough, etc. Perhaps there's an opening for Mr Halstead........

WHBM
29th Nov 2005, 16:24
How did the 757 get into such poor condition it had to be broken up for spares ? Even the oldest 757s should have some operational life and value left in them, unless something has gone awry.

chevvron
29th Nov 2005, 16:25
Careful what you say, I understand the local council are arguing about what exactly the conditions of the planning permission are.
(I think I saw it in Flyer Forums), all started by just one vociferous NIMBY.

Oshkosh George
29th Nov 2005, 16:45
You're a bit out of date,methinks!
Airlinerlist shows there have been 3 757s scrapped.

c/n 22200 G-MCEA scr 09-05
c/n 23118 EC-HQV scr 11-04
c/n 23452 G-CDMR scr 09-05

The last mentioned is ex Royal Brunei,and IS the aircraft at Kemble.

paddyboy
29th Nov 2005, 18:23
It's currently got more airliners 'based' than Coventry

True, but is this forum not for airlines ?

Surely this is a debate for the Spotters Balcony...:confused:

Crewing Gimp
29th Nov 2005, 18:33
Sorry off the subject
Is Kemble the airfield that "The stig" from top gear uses for the test track?

The Gimp

PPRuNe Pop
29th Nov 2005, 19:10
Kemble, though an admirable place, is NOT an airport for the transit of commercial aeroplanes. It does not, therefore, fit in this Airlines and Airports forum. Sorry but we should stand by the rules we set up.

m5dnd
29th Nov 2005, 19:17
Crewing Gimp,

The Stig and Top Gear use Dunsfold (for the time being!!)..

cheers..

Denzil
29th Nov 2005, 20:29
I thought Top Gear was filmed at Bruntingthorpe!!!!!!!

Buster the Bear
29th Nov 2005, 20:39
No Top Gear is filmed at Dunsfold and you will usually find a high value Audi in the car park space marked for the Stig.

A British F1 World Champion who owns an Audi dealership is often seen getting in and out of an Audi in this parking space!

unwiseowl
30th Nov 2005, 09:10
The Stig is Perry McCarthy, who only raced in F1 a couple of times. Mainly saloon car racing. He owns an Audi S8 but does not own a dealership.

GBALU53
30th Nov 2005, 10:17
With all this hardwear at Kemble this could be time for a new airline or operator to come on the scene,

It would seem the ideal time if the aircraft or most of them are in good M.O.T.order, for lets say an airline called Air Kemble to start ops from this region.

With so many BAE146 aircraft there, who ever owns them would give someone a very good start up leasing agreement.

The two Australian 146S that arrived in Exeter recently must be destended for Kemble.

Out of interest does any one have the brake down on these aircraft as you may never know someone may be very interested out there.

Looking at Fly-Be,s new schedules they are looking at for 2006, they may need a large back up fleet of 146s. In view of the problems they seem to have with there Dash fleet.

Wycombe
30th Nov 2005, 10:44
I think Flybe are banking on having some shiny new Embraers by Summer 06.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
30th Nov 2005, 11:41
I had a feeling the Stig had to be changed a year or two ago because his identity was rumbled.

Definitely Dunsfold and you can see the occasional 747 being scrapped on the far side of the field.

wub
30th Nov 2005, 14:07
The Stig with the black helmet was Perry McCarthy

http://www.crash.net/uk/en/feature_view.asp?cid=26&fid=6611&apn=2

m5dnd
30th Nov 2005, 17:50
Alphawhiskeyromeo,

"Definitely Dunsfold and you can see the occasional 747 being scrapped on the far side of the field."

Only one 747 and is not being scrapped (yet!), engines and APU removed. Aircraft being used for filming and keep's being moved, last time a fortnight ago giving appearence of different ones!.

Nik