PDA

View Full Version : Is a PhD an over-qualification?

scruggs
29th Nov 2005, 13:20
Hi all,

Here's the thing, I'm 24 so I know I'm pushing the upper age limits of the Sponsorship schemes out there. At present my qualifications stand at 10 GSCE's A*- C, 2 A-Levels, and a B.Eng (hons) 2:1 in Electrical/Electronic Engineering (Aston). I am currently doing a PhD in Optical Sensors for structural monitoring of aircraft composites.

I have my concerns however, that 'Dr' easyPilot PhD might be looked at as a bit over-the-top. Anybody with opinions on how airlines view a PhD? Some organisiations are wiery of PhD's as they think we will demand high wages, and leave after 6 months.

I'm hoping to apply for the next round of Thomsonfly and FlyBe part-sponsorship courses next year. Does anyone know of other airlines that "part-sponsor" the integrated ATPL? I know about the CTC McAlpine "full-sponsorship" schemes for TXC and EZY, I'm through to Stage 2 at the minute.

Anyway, thanks in advance to all those who offer their advice and opinions.

Cheers,

Steve.

Stpaul
29th Nov 2005, 13:38
Better off with a Phd than without. Demonstrates your ability to learn.
Will not be a problem.

High Wing Drifter
29th Nov 2005, 13:47
If nothing else, you'll be the perfect person to re-write the Ops Manual :uhoh:

Sorry, I seem to be unable to provide constructive comment lately
:O

scruggs
29th Nov 2005, 14:04
Thanks for the replies guys.

Any pilots out there who have a PhD wanna share their opnions as well? I'd be interested to hear about situations you have encountered, which have arisen directly due to you having a PhD.

Thanks again,

Steve.

EGBKFLYER
29th Nov 2005, 14:15
Sorry but I fail to see what difference having a PhD will make - either way.

I'm guessing you perceive a risk that an airline will think 'PhD = overqualified = not a long-term prospect' and therefore will not give you an interview?

In my experience (not limited to aviation) companies want people who are flexible, motivated, learn easily etc etc. Someone could fit that bill with a PhD or without one - i.e. a PhD is not a deciding factor for anything.

Additionally, if we worry about the perception of PhDs, what about other higher qualifications? I know of chartered engineers and even a surgeon looking for a job - should they worry too?

scroggs
29th Nov 2005, 14:24
If nothing else, you'll be the perfect person to re-write the Ops Manual

Hmmm. Steve's PhD isn't in English, as his use of the word 'wiery' vice 'wary' would confirm! ;) In any case, Ops Manuals rarely require great intelligence to compile...

Steve, as I'm sure you're well aware, educational qualifications for pilots aren't a great issue. Not because we don't need bright people, but because the industry uses different ways of assessing acceptable intelligence, and because the primary qualification required is the licence itself. There aren't many PhD's among pilots, but that just reflects the situation in the overall population - my colleagues in the flight deck are as likely to have 5 GCSEs as they are an MBA or PhD.

To have acquired a PhD at all is quite an achievement, and will certainly not do you any harm. On the other hand, it also won't be given the credit it might be in other fields; it is (for aviation) confirmation that you are academically sound, you have the ability to study, and that you can express yourself in a discussion of complex ideas, but it will count for little more than that. It will make a talking point at interview, which is no bad thing as long as you don't appear to be mourning a career option that didn't work out. Given the commitment required to undertake aviation as a career, they're unlikely to worry that you might leave to take up an academic or industry position after 6 months - you'll be far too highly qualified to be paid well!

I shouldn't worry about it.

Scroggs

scruggs
29th Nov 2005, 15:49
Scroggs,

Many thanks for that reply. You can probably see from my spelling that I'm more of a Maths/Physics guy than an English guy! Seriously though, thanks for that, you kinda put my mind at ease a bit on the subject of higher degrees.

Cheers,

Steve.

Permafrost_ATPL
29th Nov 2005, 17:26
Hi Steve,

At the last BALPA conference I asked various captains the same question (I'm in the same "over-qualified" boat). They all said that, if anything, it shows capacity to learn as well as commitment. But fundamentally it was not really a plus or a minus. They just want to make sure you can fly! :ok:

scruggs
30th Nov 2005, 12:47
Permafrost_ATPL,

Thanks for that reply. Its nice to know people in the industry are of that opinion. You say you are in the same "over-qualified" boat, can I asume you have a PhD or some other higher degree? If so, was it a matter of conversation during your interviews?

Cheers,

Steve.

Permafrost_ATPL
30th Nov 2005, 12:53
Taking this conversatioin offline, check your PMs.

P

High Wing Drifter
30th Nov 2005, 15:41
In any case, Ops Manuals rarely require great intelligence to compile...
Twas a joke referring to the tome like nature of both outputs. Although I gather from the "..." that some Ops Manual content can be considered somewhat dubious?

Re-Heat
30th Nov 2005, 20:53
Why are you doing it? If you can answer along the lines of for my own benefit/research/enhance knowledge/interest in academia/interest in being researcher - fine.

No point in doing it if you want to do it to enhance your chances of flying, as I can't see how being a researcher would at all help. Independent, but not really intense learning like the ATPL exams or flying.

That's not to say that your skill won't be highly marketable to an airline with 787 ops - not however as a pilot...

1pudding1
1st Dec 2005, 02:03
Another "over-qualified" :} pilot here, and im on the scheme you've just applied to. No worries about them viewing it as 'over the top'. As long as you can explain why you've done it in an interview, no worries. Also as others have stated, it isn't really a benefit in the cockpit at all. So as long as youve not done a PhD to progress you flying career, again nothing to worry about! :ok:

GS-Alpha
1st Dec 2005, 09:43
I too have a few degrees, but I certainly did not do them to improve my chances of getting into flying. However, the flying world is not like industry where many companies have minimum wages for particular qualification levels, so being highly qualified will not damage your chances either. At the end of the day, you can have all the non-pilot qualifications in the world - you still would not be able to fly an aircraft.

I actually quit a PhD to join the BA cadet course (and I have never looked back). I managed to convert it to an MPhil and wrote the thesis up whilst at flight school, but quite frankly, the MPhil is about as useful as a PhD, which is about as useful as a BSc, in the flying world. I suppose it is something unusual to talk about on the flight deck, although I have to say that most of my conversations on the subject are very short, as I see the eyes glaze over.

RichT
1st Dec 2005, 15:37
It's a waste of a phd career. You will be bored whitless. Why not have a research career then go into flying later in life. Best of both worlds.

scruggs
1st Dec 2005, 20:22
An interesting idea RichT. I thought that airline flying was a young mans game. I'm 24, and I've already been told by some I'm "over the hill" for airline flying!

I must admit, my overall ambition has always been to become an airline pilot. But towards the end of my undergraduate degree, and certainly now in my doctorate degree, research is very enjoyable (when it goes well). It will be a fairly tough decission, but I know becoming an airline pilot will still be the dream at the end of my PhD.

Cheers,

Steve.

Danny_manchester
1st Dec 2005, 20:28
Lol << Dumbass, read the thread!! :D

sorry :)

reynoldsno1
1st Dec 2005, 21:33
No, it's not - I know of at least one PhD who failed an integrated course - couldn't handle mental DR amongst other things..... I' sure he's doing OK, though

Danny_manchester
1st Dec 2005, 21:39
yeah, no problems, a PhD is good to have.

scruggs
1st Dec 2005, 22:08
The guy/gal who failed the integrated course might have had a PhD in Drama studies! I'd hope my subject area would at least prepare me for the minimum standard required - at least, that's what I'd hope. We shall have to see.

Anyway, thanks to all those who replied. Its been......interesting.

Cheers,

Steve.

PS Who's the dumbass Danny_Manchester?

reynoldsno1
1st Dec 2005, 22:42
In this case it was Physics - thesis on fluid ynamics or summat ....

Avius
2nd Dec 2005, 05:08
easyPilot

In my opinion - The term "over-qualification" does not belong to the dictionary when it comes to flight-deck jobs.

Your performance is simplified to "satisfactory" or "non-satisfactory", measured at least every six month. If it is "satisfactory", you get to fly another six month, if it is "non-satisfactory, a Phd will not help to keep the job.

It is by design and one of the reasons for aviation being one of the safest means of transportation.

On the other hand, your above average qualification might be of use for management positions within the Airline (the new BA CEO Willie Walsh is a Pilot). Obviously, the bigger the airline, the more opportunities.

Alternatively you can continue development in your existing field while flying and find rewards that way.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. My experience is, that progressive managers in the airline industry are few and far between. Like it or not, but you will need a sort of mentor, which just happens to be hard to find in this industry.

I started my own business while flying, and I'm quite happy with the arrangement.

RichT
2nd Dec 2005, 10:51
easyPilot
don’t worry about the age thing. Its only a young mans game if you want to join the RAF or be a cadet in BA. I had a fantastic career as an electronics engineer then later a software eng before going into flying. The thrill it gives me to see pictures on the tv of equipment I have designed is huge. I have designed systems for the Lynx helicopter, Trident submarine, Sat com telephone system for commercial aircraft when I was with Racal. Please don’t think I am trying to blow my own trumpet here but I do think I am in a good position to empathise with you and please also don’t think that I am trying to put you off flying. Perhaps my story will help you decide your future.

I took up flying after making a lot of money in the above fields as a hobby. This was at the ripe old age of 36. As is the case with many guys with an engineering back ground I cant settle until I have completely understood the system. So I took my CPL exams then became an instructor (still part time) Then at the age of 40 decided I had enough of engineering, took my atpl/IR and looked for a job. This happened pretty quickly and I was flying a 737-200 for a year. I was made redundant so went back to software for a year. Got another job flying and I am now a Captain with europes biggest Loco.

I spent a lot of time thinking that I wish I had done this 10 years before. I no longer feel that way. You will come across captains that have been captains for 30 years and never done anything else. They have lost all interest in the job and just bitch all day about their T & Cs. I on the other hand have about 15 years flying left and its still all new and exciting to me. I do however miss the life cycle of a project. Gathering the requirements, coming up with the design, building the thing and then seeing it into service. With flying, good day bad day, great landing or slamming it into the concrete when the day is finished there is nothing left until you start the next day.

Obviously not everyone is how I have described them above. You are an intelligent young man and I am sure you will make the right decision for yourself. Before you do though look at it from every angle and don’t burn your bridges once you have crossed the divide. Best of luck RichT

Sphinx
2nd Dec 2005, 11:25
I have a PhD in Civil Engineering, then worked in R & D for 5 years, then did my professional licences and am in a good job with a Charter.

I don't believe there is any such thing as being over-qualified for an airline.;)

scruggs
2nd Dec 2005, 11:55
RichT,

Thank you for that inspiring reply, its certainly a comfort to know there are others out there like me who enjoy the seeing technical, in my case also electronic, projects through from conception to fruition. You've certainly made me think that I do not need to rush into flying, and that I can enjoy my PhD without the pressure of feeling that age is creeping up on me.

RichT, yours is a great story and if all goes to plan, in years to come I'll hopefully be telling a very similar one.

All the best,

Steve.