View Full Version : The Flying Bishop!

bowly
29th Nov 2005, 11:49
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/4479888.stm

Heavens above!.......boom, boom

Hope he wasn't sick!!

PPRuNe Pop
29th Nov 2005, 12:38
10 Reds. Not exactly a rare sight but makes for a nice pic.

LuckyBreak
29th Nov 2005, 12:47
He'll be nearer his god than thee.....

SilsoeSid
29th Nov 2005, 17:14
Does 'The Bish' pay taxes????

;)
SS

Onan the Clumsy
29th Nov 2005, 20:51
Flying Bishop on a practice mission?

Did they just practice flying NE, SE, SW and NW? I bet they'd have prefered to fly a knight.

The Swinging Monkey
30th Nov 2005, 11:52
Now I don't have a problem with the bishop flying with the Reds - good on him I say, but..........
I know of loads of mates (many still in) who would give their left (and possibly right!) testicle to have a blast with the boys from Scampton. Sadly however, every one of them is declined.
Even one bloke asked if he could have a trip as his farewell 'retirement' trip from the service.

So, just what is the situation with getting a trip with the boys? its too late for me, but I'm certain that there must be more deserving people than the bishop who would like a trip! Its not a winge, just a genuine enquiry please, thanks.

Kind regards to all, especially Dickie and the boys
TSM

Ray Dahvectac
30th Nov 2005, 11:58
A cynic might suggest that the primary motivator is how much publicity the RAFAT gets out of it. :rolleyes:

VigilantPilot
30th Nov 2005, 12:00
Probably comes down to the fact that he can offer the RAF much more PR value than flying any old Joe. Likewise can be said when you see pictures of Jodie Kidd, Jamie Cullum, Ben Sheperd etc flying in fast jets.

Where do you draw the line though? I'm sure there are too many retiring personnel than could be reasonably expected to be flown, hence they have to reject all.

LuckyBreak
30th Nov 2005, 12:09
There are still plenty of guys that get trips during the practice season (I've been lucky enough to be one!), however most are FJ aircrew mates who already have the medical and bang-seat experience so that it is minimal hassle to RAFAT. Apparently Scampton med centre isn't the largest for Cat 2's.....

Onan the Clumsy
30th Nov 2005, 21:21
Where do you draw the line though? I'm sure there are too many retiring personnel than could be reasonably expected to be flown, hence they have to reject all. Maybe they should form a new group...

...the Grey Arrows

RileyDove
30th Nov 2005, 21:34
Onan - I am not sure the Reds do that much 'Knight flying' !

SALAD DODGER
30th Nov 2005, 21:52
How did he get his mitre to fit in a hawk? Saying that, how do the Reds get their heads to fit?
http://www.sinden.org/griswold.jpg

Clockwork Mouse
30th Nov 2005, 22:39
You imply that the Reds are big headed. So do you know them? Have you met them? Or are you just trying to sound clever?

Go back to Tracey Island and play with your puppets.

Onan the Clumsy
1st Dec 2005, 01:01
I think you've got Clockwork Mouse seeing red now.

Hey look, the Bish has his red jump suit on under his frock :8

EESDL
1st Dec 2005, 07:15
Let's hope he took a sick bag because he 'mitre' been talking to God in another way!

Training Risky
1st Dec 2005, 07:47
A couple of years ago I had the goddamn cheek to politely write to the Participation Committee at STC if the Reds were routing anywhere near my wedding reception, could they just steer slightly left or right of the black line and give an impromptu flypast? At any altitude or time of day?

I'd have been more successful asking Giselle Bundchen for a handjob.

It seems you have to be either a part of the establishment or any old Z-list celebrity in order to qualify for RAFAT attention.

RileyDove
1st Dec 2005, 09:11
That hat looks ideal for breaking the canopy if the mdc doesn't fire !

bowly
1st Dec 2005, 09:34
Is this the start of the second coming??

Now he's been in a fast-jet and a Red Arrow to boot, surely that makes him a GOD?!?!:D

Onan the Clumsy
1st Dec 2005, 13:57
That hat looks ideal for breaking the canopy if the mdc doesn't fire ! ...and it also has a spare parachute and a life raft packed inside

The Swinging Monkey
1st Dec 2005, 15:56
Salad,

That was uncalled for old boy. I do know the Reds personally (well most of them) and Big heads they are most certainly NOT. Frankly, they are just a bunch of good squadron 'shags' and I have a great deal of time and respect for them all!

Kind regards

TSM

tonkatechie
7th Dec 2005, 02:09
I have a great deal of time and respect for them all!
...and I'm sure that TSM will be receiving notification of his PAX trip any day now....
It's called BANTER:rolleyes:

LuckyBreak
7th Dec 2005, 09:20
Quote:

--A couple of years ago I had the goddamn cheek to politely write to the Participation Committee at STC if the Reds were routing anywhere near my wedding reception, could they just steer slightly left or right of the black line and give an impromptu flypast? At any altitude or time of day? I'd have been more successful asking Giselle Bundchen for a handjob.-----

It's well known that it is RAFAT policy not to do flypasts for Personal occasions such as Weddings, Funerals and Birthdays. Otherwise can you imagine the floodgates you'd open!

Nige321
7th Dec 2005, 09:44
I'd have been more successful asking Giselle Bundchen for a handjob...

Errrr... Who's Giselle Bundchen...:8

N321

southside
7th Dec 2005, 09:50
Isnt she the doris going out with Brad Pitt.....or is it Ronaldo?

LuckyBreak
7th Dec 2005, 10:26
Photo:

http://www.news365.com.cn/wxzt/wx_tiyu/fykb/ts/W020041025747989226396.jpg

I thought she may have been a famous bird with no arms, which would have made the handjob comment funny....

moony
7th Dec 2005, 21:03
Anyone hear about the start of the Reds tour to Russia when canopies were lowered and an MDC was fired by the golf clubs in the back seat?

Grand Fromage
8th Dec 2005, 09:34
I've heard, on fairly good authority, that PAX in the reds aren't allowed to wear anti-g pants in case they snag on the control column, yet the bishop is proudly sporting his speed jeans

:confused:

GF

Clockwork Mouse
8th Dec 2005, 10:59
Speed jeans not allowed in displays or practices. For joy-rides they are not a problem.

The RAFAT exists to provide positive PR and publicity for the RAF, so trips of this sort (the Flying Bishop) are permitted and welcomed.

LuckyBreak
9th Dec 2005, 08:03
I also heard on reasonable authority that said Bishop was slightly ill on his trip......

Bob Viking
9th Dec 2005, 08:15
I have flown in the back a couple of times and I can confirm the wearing of G pants on display practices is not permitted. +7 and -3g in the same trip is quite painful.
Bloody good fun though!
BV:ok: