PDA

View Full Version : CPL, has everything been issued ?

Just another student
29th Nov 2005, 10:04
Hey guys and gals,

Finally received my CPL through the post this morning :D

I'm trying to make sure that everything that should be on it, is.

On the rating certificate of revalidation there is listed..........

MEP (Land)
IR-SPA-ME

National ratings

IMC

On the ratings to be revalidated (pg 4/6) it lists

SEP (land)
MEP (land)
Instrument

I am slightly concerned that there seems to be no mention of being able to fly IR-SEP. I ticked the SEP box on the application, but does the above seem correct?

Cheers

JAS

mad_jock
29th Nov 2005, 11:07
Aye sounds about right the SPA-IR-ME covers you for SPA-IR-SE.

It is best you check everything when you get it back. Also the bottom reference on the ratings page. Sometimes they forget to up date the PP/CPL bit.

Have you boken the blue cover yet? or drawn blood trying to get the squint printed page folded in the sleeve

MJ

Just another student
29th Nov 2005, 12:43
I'm just enjoying looking at the words Commercial Pilots Licence :D

Every page is updated with UK/CP etc I was worried they hadn't granted me SEP IR privileges

Just running through the Flybe form, oh boy ...... I'm struggling to list two people for references :)

Cheers

Permafrost_ATPL
29th Nov 2005, 13:01
Did you do your CPL in a multi? If yes, although you automatically get SE IR with ME IR, you will need to get an SE add-on to your CPL if you want to fly singles for money (including FI). If you did your CPL in a single and did the multi add-on as part of your IR, then you have nothing to worry about.

Just another student
29th Nov 2005, 13:10
I completed my CPL in a single, so sounds like everything is in order :D

Thanks for the help.

JAS

EGBKFLYER
29th Nov 2005, 13:46
Permafrost:

What you say rings a bell but I can't find where that's written. Checked LASORS D and ANO 8 - nothing. Any ideas?

I also seem to remember that so long as you apply for SEP and MEP on the same form, you'll get them issued without a prob and at no extra charge (I did a Multi CPL and I think that's what I did)

mad_jock
29th Nov 2005, 16:16
You can earn money in a single if you did your CPL in a multi under JAR rules.

And you need to have completed the MEP class rating before doing the IR including test. You can't for the intial combine it.

SEP is a class rating and is as such attached to a license eg CPL. So if you had the SEP class rating issued on a PPL it automatically goes to your CPL and then onto ATPL. If its listed and it is valid you can use it.

The protection as such to pax is the fact that before you can operate in a commercial sense you have to have done a OPL/LPC on the aircraft type that you will be operating.

I personally did my CPL in a multi and went on to do a FI rating and then worked for over a year as a FI teaching in SEP aircraft. Your having a laugh if you think that you can do a FI rating then not use it. You learn way more about flying singles in a FI course than you do in the CPL.

And why did i do it in the multi becuase I did the IR first and I really couldn't be bothered learning how to do PFL's and all that other SEP stuff in a complex. Multi all we had to do is one missed approach with engine failure to circle to land which really is a none event to someone who has just completed the SPA-IR-ME. And it gave me a extra 17 hours of twin time in my log book for an extra 400 quid.

The only time it may be an issue if you are applying for a CPL is when you have done intergrated. Depending on your paper work you may not be issued the SEP class rating. All CPL holders who previously held a SEP PPL will have the SEP class rating which you will have to maintain in the normal manner.

MJ

Permafrost_ATPL
29th Nov 2005, 17:15
Interesting stuff MJ! Now I'm all confused... What you're saying makes a lot of sense and you obviously had no trouble doing the FI course and teaching SEP having one your CPL in a multi. But then why did two flight schools I talked to told me I needed to do an SEP ad-on to my CPL before the FI course?

EGBKFLYER - I agree, I can't find it either!

Again, what MJ says makes a lot of sense: you get an SEP class rating with your PPL, so there should be no need to do an SEP ad-on to a CPL (unless you're integrated, which I am not). But my new shiny licence says MEP IR-SPA-ME in the ratings section. Could it be because I did my PPL with the FAA and thus never had an SEP class rating issued under JAR?

Time to call the CAA I think...

P

mad_jock
29th Nov 2005, 17:50
Yep sounds like the reason, you need the SEP rating issued on your CPL before starting the course.

the good news is that the SEP rating can be done at any PPL FTO.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/SECTION%20H%20.pdf

Covers all the requirements for the FI

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/SECTION%20F.pdf

Covers what you need to do to transfer your FAA class rating (F9)

MJ

Permafrost_ATPL
29th Nov 2005, 18:04
Thanks MJ! Found the relevant bit in the second link:

A class rating endorsed on a licence issued by a
non-JAA State may be transferred to a UK issued pilot’s
licence, subject to:-
i) 100 hours flying experience on the class.
ii) Operational experience as pilot on the class within
the preceding 5 years.
iii) Pass a Proficiency Check.
iv) have flown at least 70 hours as pilot-in-command
of aeroplanes.

Oh well, I need to do 5 hours in a single prior to starting the FI course anyway (all my recent flying as been MEP). So might as well kill two birds with one stone!

P