PDA

View Full Version : RAF Application

Bluesteel705
28th Nov 2005, 22:00
Hey,

I'm looking for a little advice really, I really (And I mean really) want to join the RAF as an officer, was in ATC for 4 years and I've been to OASC once for 6th form scholarship two years ago, but didn't get it.

Since then I've left school and had to find a job since I decided that university wasnt for me, however that has left me with very little time to do anything other than work as I only get one full day off a week. Therefore I dont have time to do any voluntary work etc. Is this going to be too big a mark against me in the interview?

Thankyou

Bob Viking
29th Nov 2005, 10:22
No.
I would say what you have done so far, and are continuing to do, should be sufficient.
Sounds like you're working harder than most people already!
Just apply, and do your best.
BV;)

joe2812
29th Nov 2005, 10:26
You're working harder than me at Uni! :}

Rather than giving up your day off what about giving up a couple of evenings a week? Just an idea.

:)

Michael Edic
29th Nov 2005, 11:14
Why do voluntary work at all? If you want to do something useful learn to drink, a lot, from whatever item of footwear you donned that morning!
Best of luck
Mike

P.S. Joe, not surprised he's working harder than you are at the Hadfield School of Hampster Husbandry and Related "Sciences".

P.P.S Only kidding some of my best friends failed their A levels and ended up at similar institutions

joe2812
29th Nov 2005, 12:27
Hampster.... is that anything like the Hamsters we have here? :p

Michael Edic
29th Nov 2005, 12:55
Deploying emergency banter!!

teeteringhead
29th Nov 2005, 13:18
Hampster.... is that anything like the Hamsters we have here? ... are you taking the "p"??

... sorreeee

Training Risky
29th Nov 2005, 14:52
Bluesteel,

You sound very much like like me 6 years ago.

I decided to work after A-levels in '96, having got the Flying Scolarship, but after being turned down for the 6th-form schol.

I didn't want to go to uni, so ended up spending 3 years working, studying for a PPL/IR and travelling.

Hence I was very nervous when I applied for GD Pilot at age 21 - without a degree or having trekked to the north pole for disabled lesbian orphans on my CV.

But they let me in - so it can be done!

----------------------

(nb: don't view my career AFTER joining as a model to be followed. My flying career was fu(ked by my desk officer and PMA when I got as close as a gnat's wing from the frontline. I'm sure you will do better;) )

joe2812
29th Nov 2005, 16:40
Deploying emergency banter!!

Touche ;) (I don't know how to do the little accented 'E' thingy)

Bluesteel705
29th Nov 2005, 17:28
Thanks for all your comments guys, I suppose the worst they can do is say no.

I think :)

Neeps
29th Nov 2005, 23:43
No such thing as having no time for voluntary work. If there is a will, there is a way. I used to volunteer 30 minutes a week with the RSPCA. Not to put on the RAF app, but because I enojoyed it. I didn't have much time being a student, but I found I could fit that and some other things in.

teeteringhead
30th Nov 2005, 09:46
I didn't have much time being a student, :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

VigilantPilot
30th Nov 2005, 10:00
I didnt have much time being a student either. Some students do proper degrees (ie science or medicine) where a lot of work has to be done. Its not all underwater basket weaving! :ok:

Neeps
30th Nov 2005, 10:16
....time for voluntary work being a student

remedial boy
30th Nov 2005, 10:21
Bluesteel,

My Mrs works in an AFCO at the moment and competition for places is fierce to say the least. Not having done any voluntary work isn't going to be much of a big deal, so long as you have hobbies and interests etc. It is also important to thoroughly research what you want to do. If you attend an AFCO presentation then make sure you take notes and participate fully in the presentation when questions are asked. First impressions count and as the person doing the presentation may well do your filter interview, this is your first chance to impress. Make sure you know all about what the RAF is up to around the world and look into current capabilities as well as future procurement programmes. Additionally think about what you want to do if you do not get in as a pilot. Is your priority to be a pilot or get into the RAF? Some AFCOs will strongly encourage you to look into another branch, as pilot is unsurprisingly the most populr branch choice. Finally make sure you look smart, wear a suit and try to be outgoing and enthusiastic.

Hope this helps,

RB

ChrisMcQuaker
30th Nov 2005, 21:21
What exactly are you looking to do in the RAF?

Bluesteel705
3rd Dec 2005, 16:00
Intelligence Officer or Flight Operations Officer.

Neeps
3rd Dec 2005, 18:30
I thought the IntO branch was not recruiting currently, and is not expected to for some time?

Spotting Bad Guys
4th Dec 2005, 00:33
As far as I know the Ops Spt (Int) Branch is still actively recruiting, although there are not too many DE places to be had on the course. I seem to recall about 40% of the course places are allocated to re-selectees and personnel commissioned from the Int trades, and when each course numbers only around 12 students that doen't leave too many places open each year. Don't let you put you off though as there will always be places for good quality candidates.

Good luck.

SBG

Mal Drop
8th Dec 2005, 21:43
From what I remember of the process your best bet is to be related to a very senior officer (ideally not Sir Peter Harding). That way you will coast through all stages of the ghastly process and furthermore be "chop-proof" during training. Certainly worked for a few of my contemporaries...

Otherwise, do the research into the RAF, investigate future roles, keep up with current affairs (not like Sir Peter Harding) and present yourself as the sort of candidate that the Service needs. The bit about drinking lots from footwear can be learned at Cranwell and will go on to serve you well in pretty much any branch.