PDA

View Full Version : WWII silk map

Offchocks
28th Nov 2005, 21:26
I have a map made of silk (in colour) covering Europe from Northern Spain to Holland in the north and the French coast to Germany in the east. It measures about 55cm x 55cm.

The map is titled "Zones of France" and has on the bottom "I.S.9. (WEA) MAR 44" printed on it. It is very detailed showing topographical features, roads and what would seem to be "active" areas such as German patrols etc.

The map was given to me by a deceased relative and so I will hold onto it for sentimental reasons, however I would like to know a bit more about it such as what it was used for and is it rare?

I can't be certain if it is true, but I was told the map was used by downed RAF aircrew.

Milt
28th Nov 2005, 21:43
Survival Maps

Must be quite a few of them surviving.

Mine are of Korea and VNam. Several of my compatriots used them to survive.

Trust that the latest issues have map co-ordinates for use in conjunction with a hand held mini GPS receiver.

henry crun
29th Nov 2005, 00:26
I don't think they are rare.

I had several and gave them away, the last one is now framed in my Doc's consulting room along with other military aviation memorabilia.

Onan the Clumsy
29th Nov 2005, 03:09
I have one I got from a yard sale for a dime.

I would have thought that they were reasonably uncommon, especially the WWII ones of France