PDA

View Full Version : A little inspiration....

scroggs
28th Nov 2005, 12:21
For those of you with broadband, have a look at this. (http://www.pilotlist.org/dispo/appr3/jfk_long.mpg) It's a video of an approach to 13L at JFK at night, using the Canarsie VOR procedure. Turn it up - the Vangelis music really suits the visuals. Kind of reminds me why I love my job!

For you Flight Sim enthusiasts, this procedure (particularly on to 13R, and with a crosswind from the right) is considerably more challenging than the old IGS at Hong Kong's Kai Tak. Unfortunately, we can't fly the 13L procedure at night at the moment, 'cos some ****'s gone and ripped up the power supply to the lighting! :rolleyes:

Scroggs

CAT3C AUTOLAND
28th Nov 2005, 12:26
Thats nearly as good as making a visual approach in a C152 ;).

Nice one Scroggs, I enjoyed that :ok:

aztec25
28th Nov 2005, 13:26
Nice one! - thanks Scroggs - brought a lump to my throat watching that!

hasell
29th Nov 2005, 13:04
Nice one Scroggs,
Any idea what the a/c flying the approach/landing was?

Rgds.

Has.

Cpt. Chaos
29th Nov 2005, 13:36
Thanks for that,

I'm just doing my last ATPL theory exam next month and that was just what the doctor ordered to get me over this last hurdle to complete the 14, and get on with the real stuff and make that school boy dream that little bit closer.

A little bit of inspriation like that can go along way, very apt indeed.

Thank you once more for bringing that to us.

Cpt. Chaos
:ok:

scroggs
29th Nov 2005, 13:47
Any idea what the a/c flying the approach/landing was?

No. I found the link on the internal Virgin pilots' bulletin board, but it's not a Virgin flight. The slow approach speed and noticeable drift leads me to believe it's probably a TP or small commuter jet, but that doesn't help a lot! Unfortunately, there's no way of judging when the aircraft goes overhead the CRI beacon and thus deducing its groundspeed from the timing, which might give a clue. It 'feels' about 20kt slower than I'm used to, though. Mind you, it could have been a windy day!

Scroggs

too_sleepy
29th Nov 2005, 14:13
What a great video. This guy has a few on his site, this one seems to be the next best:
http://www.pilotlist.org/dispo/bda1/vdn.wmv

PILOTOWL
29th Nov 2005, 15:15
TWIT-TWOO !!
Absolutely Flaptastic!!